PDA

View Full Version : Lenses for Canon Rebel XTi (400D)

Peter Stahl
12-01-2006, 9:47 AM
I think I'm finally going to pulll the trigger on a Canon XTi but reading review on Amazon most say don't bother with the lenses that come in the kits. One that was suggested was a Canon 50 f1.8 and a Tamron Autofocus 28-75mm f2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical. Any suggestions, don't want to spend a fortune on lenses. What would be a good one for say inside house pics at christmas time and the other being a outdoor say at the zoo. I have a Canon G5 and hate the wait time after you hit the button, I missed a lot of good shots. All other suggestions as to where to buy, other accessories, etc. are more than welcomed. Thank you!

Lee DeRaud
12-01-2006, 10:35 AM
Remember, there's a 1.5X or so conversion factor for lenses when used on (most*) DSLRs: that 50mm acts like a 75-80mm and the 28-80mm is really a 40-120mm. So both are better suited for portrait or outdoor work than interiors.

The typical 18-55 "kit" lens works out to 28-80, which is a good place to start. I know Nikon has a 18-135 zoom, so there's probably a Canon equivalent if you want to get a bit more range for outdoors.

(*I say "most" because there's a high-end Canon that uses a full-frame sensor: lenses on it work at their normal focal length.)

Jim Becker
12-01-2006, 10:55 AM
Lee is correct...if you are buying new lenses (as opposed to using ones you already have from an SLR) go with lenses that are designed for "digital" as they already take in to consideration the CCD size, etc., in the digiCam. My Nikon D70 is the same way.

I don't know about the Cannon lenses in the kits, but I'm perfectly happy with the one that came with my D70.

Lee DeRaud
12-01-2006, 11:14 AM
Lee is correct...if you are buying new lenses (as opposed to using ones you already have from an SLR) go with lenses that are designed for "digital" as they already take in to consideration the CCD size, etc.DSLRs seem to be an oddity as far as the advertising goes. Since the buyers are typically camera-savvy, the ads list the actual focal lengths: e.g. "18-55mm" is what shows up in the ad, rather the "28-80mm" 35mm equivalent. The conversion factor is pretty standard at 1.4-1.6, because they're all using CCDs in the same size range.

But a digital-specific lens can be made smaller than the 35mm lens of the same focal length, because it doesn't have to cover the full 24x36 frame. Lighter and cheaper...what's not to like?

Peter Stahl
12-01-2006, 11:40 AM
DSLRs seem to be an oddity as far as the advertising goes. Since the buyers are typically camera-savvy, the ads list the actual focal lengths: e.g. "18-55mm" is what shows up in the ad, rather the "28-80mm" 35mm equivalent. The conversion factor is pretty standard at 1.4-1.6, because they're all using CCDs in the same size range.

But a digital-specific lens can be made smaller than the 35mm lens of the same focal length, because it doesn't have to cover the full 24x36 frame. Lighter and cheaper...what's not to like?

Lee & Jim,

thanks for the replies. I was looking at the reviews and guess the people that leave them know a lot about cameras, I don't. I guess I could go with the kit ones and buy others as I get more experienced. Didn't want to get the kit ones if they weren't worth the money.

Cary Falk
12-01-2006, 12:04 PM
Peter,
I can't help you much with the Cannon because I just bought a Nikon D80 with a 18-135 lens. I will say that I have heard the same thing about the Cannon kit lenses not being all that great. The little bit I know about cameras any lens would probably do. I have read a lot of useful information on the dpreview forums if that helps. I don't know if I can include the link but if you have problems finding it pm me.

Kevin Brown
12-01-2006, 1:12 PM
Peter,

IMHO the lens that comes with the xti kit is a good starting point (and value) if you are new to dslr's, you can easy add a lens or two later on, when you feel the need to "upgrade" , for point and shoot of the kids and such the kit lens will do for quite a while

dslr's are much like woodworking machinery, they are the cheapest part, the extras will bankrupt you :eek: :D :eek: :(

also like Cary pointed out dpreview has a good forum

Kevin Brown
12-01-2006, 1:54 PM
ok Peter here are a few more thoughts!

Pricing on these things can change hourly, so keep checking at some of the more reputable sellers to follow currrent pricing

If you can live with the silver xti, they are about $40 to $50 cheaper

I'm in know way trying to talk you out of the xti (have had Canon cameras for 20 years) but if you havn't held one in your hand you should, the grip was very akward (narrow) for me
Check your local BB or CC or similar to see if they have them in stock so you can touch one in person, BB's website stated the xti and D80 "web only" but my local store had them on display for me to play with

The xti is new this Christmas things like this can disappear quickly the closer it gets

I was in the same boat as you a few weeks ago, shopping for a new camera (for my wife) and ended up ordering from buydig, at the time they had the best price on both the Nikon D80 and Canon xti and I got it in two days (free shipping)

Don't know what the prices are now, don't wanna know, I already paid for the more expensive of the 2 ;)

GOOD LUCK!!!

Rich Konopka
12-01-2006, 5:19 PM
I have the 1st generation Reb and I have a Canon 75-300 IS USM zoom lens (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007Y794O/ref=pd_cp_p_title/102-4138369-3335352). It takes excellent photos and the camera is great. Try Bhphoto.com (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=4657&A=details&Q=&sku=397663&is=GREY&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation) ifyou have a lot of questions and want great service.

Ted Shrader
12-01-2006, 7:58 PM
Peter -

Heard the same thing about the "kit" lenses when I bought my Nikon D80 recently and stayed away from one particular Nikon offering qith two lenses. Ended up with a Nikon 18-135 and also bought a second hand Nikon 12-24mm. Read about them at KenRockwell.com and dpreview.com. Both excellent sources for info.

I looked very hard at the XTi before I got the D80. The XTi is an excellent camera, just preffered the D80 based on feel. Sort of a left vs right tilt kind of thing.

Have fun with your new toy er TOOL. Yeah, that's it, TOOL!

Regards,
Ted

Lee DeRaud
12-01-2006, 8:15 PM
Ended up with a Nikon 18-135 and also bought a second hand Nikon 12-24mm.Ah, someone after my own heart. I believe anything longer than 28mm doesn't deserve the name "wide-angle": I keep an ancient Pentax Spotmatic around just because I have a 20mm lens for it.

Brian Hale
12-01-2006, 9:02 PM
You'll do fine with the kit lens, it ain't bad at all but certainly not in the same league as Canon's "L" series lens. You can tell by the price. :eek:

I've been shooting Canon cameras since back when they had the little film winder lever on them and, just like tools, price is a good guide of quality.

My 2 favorite "point and shoot" lens are the Canon 28-135 IS (f3.5 - 5.6)and the Sigma 15-30 EX DG (f3.5 - 4.5). Both are very crisp. The Sigma, at 15mm, is a very wide angle lens and will easily take in a full size sofa along with 2 end tables and the people standing next to them from 15' away. The canon at 135mm will do a head and shoulder shot at the same distance and with the Image Stabilizer you'll get sharp images at much slower shutter speeds.

The Canon lens, which would be my suggestion for the next lens to buy, is right around $400, about the same as the Tamron 28-70 but at almost double the focal length and it has the Image Stabilizer. The big advantage of the Tamron is that it's f2.8 lens which buys you higher shutter speeds in low light. It's also 1/2 pound heavier.

The Sigma is around $500 and is a good option if you decide not to get the kits lens.

Also, don't get hung up on "Digital" lenses. Any EF (Electronic Focus) Canon will work with the xti, all the way up to the 600mm f4.0 L IS ($7200)

As for Where To Buy, bhphotovedio.com. I've spent many many thousands of dollars on photo gear and never once been disappointed B&H.

Brian :)

BTW, i posted a few shots a took with the 15-30 and 28-135 if your interested...

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=24782

Peter Stahl
12-02-2006, 8:11 AM
Thanks for all the great info so far, keep it coming. Going to a camera shop today to check Canon's and Nikon's.

Christopher Stahl
12-02-2006, 12:25 PM
Peter,
If you are planning to get more into photography, then keep this in mind. You're buying into a system, not just a camera. Kit lenses are typically low end glass. Some are great for the money, some are not. If you don't know what you want lens wise, the kit lens will be perfect for you as you can learn to use the camera and figure out what focal lengths you like or feel you're missing.

If you're on a limited budget, then spend less on the DSLR and spend more on good glass. I've always used Nikons and currently using a D200, so I'm biased. :) I have a pretty extensive range of glass, but I've been shooting for a while so I have an idea what I need. So take some time to learn to use the camera, and you'll be able to figure out what you need.

Price doesn't always indicate how good the glass is. You'll find a couple gems in the low price range if you do some research. If you do look at Nikon, take a look at the D50 and maybe the 18-70DX lens. It's a kit lens, but I don't think it's in the D50 kit. It's an inexpensive lens, but gets great reviews. It would be a great starting combo.

Like Brian said, don't get hung up on "Digital" lenses. It will only affect you if you go to a full frame DSLR down the road.

Again, like Brian, I've spent a lot of money at B&H Photo, but I also buy from H1Photo. Whatever you do, purchase from an authorized dealer so you get the manufactures warranty. Stay away from grey market.

In the end, pick the camera body that feels good in your hands. Both Nikon and Canon are excellent, so you'll be fine with either.

Lee DeRaud
12-02-2006, 12:30 PM
Like Brian said, don't get hung up on "Digital" lenses. It will only affect you if you go to a full frame DSLR down the road.One thing to note about that: some of the 'digital' lenses won't work on a full-frame camera, especially at the shorter focal lengths. If they're designed for the smaller sensors, they won't cover the full 24x36 frame.

Christopher Stahl
12-02-2006, 12:46 PM
Since he is looking at APS sensor sizes, I mentioned that a digital lense will only affect him if he moves to a full frame down the road.

I don't know of any digital lenses that will work on a full frame that doesn't cause vignetting.

Jim Bell
12-02-2006, 2:00 PM
I have the Rebel XT digital. The lens that comes with the camera is ok for birthdays Christmas and other family events. For professional results you must spend money. I paid $600.00:eek: for a telephoto zoom and $600.00 :eek: for a macro. The differences in photo quality is stunning. I have shots from a couple Key West trips that will be blown up and placed in a local gallery. The nice thing about Canon is all lenses are interchangeable with other Canon cameras. Mine came with a load of software and attachments to make life easier. All is easily understood. I have a Sony digital that I just cannot use because Of comprehension short falls on my behalf:confused: . It takes great pictures but I am unable to do much with that camera. Could just be me.I hope this helps,
Jim

Peter Stahl
12-03-2006, 2:09 PM
I know I'm going to get the Rebel XTi kit from B&H. My question is though, if you were going to get one good lens which one would it be and why (in the 3 - 400 range)?

Brian Hale
12-03-2006, 2:25 PM
Which kit are you getting? One has the 17-85 IS USM and the cheaper one has the 18-55 USM (Non-USM)

Also, don't forget to gat a flash card. Although it doesn't list a CF card, what typically comes with the camera is a small card that'll hold ~20 pics.

Peter Stahl
12-03-2006, 2:39 PM
Which kit are you getting? One has the 17-85 IS USM and the cheaper one has the 18-55 USM (Non-USM)

Also, don't forget to gat a flash card. Although it doesn't list a CF card, what typically comes with the camera is a small card that'll hold ~20 pics.

Brian,

I was going with 18-55, I also have a couple high speed 256MB cards from my G5 that I can use for now. I'll probably get a 2GB card off ebay later, may get a extra battery too.

Brian Hale
12-03-2006, 3:04 PM
Extra battery is a good idea. I've had good luck with the non-Canon brands so you can save some bucks there.

A good match for the 18-55 would be the 28-135 IS USM I mentioned earlier as it provides a bit of overlap between the two and you'll really like the Image Stabilizer. I suggest you get the lens hood also (never figured out why they don't include it??).

I had the 28-200 for a couple days and was quite disappointed with it, enough to send it back so i say avoid that one. It's a lot of zoom to put in a lens body that small and there was considerable barrel distortion at wide apertures which is where you'll do most of your shooting. There was also too much chromatic distortion at the long end of the zoom for my tastes. I've heard/read the 55-200 suffers the same problems. I've never used one so take that opinion for what you paid for it. ;)

David Epperson
12-03-2006, 3:20 PM
The nice thing about Canon is all lenses are interchangeable with other Canon cameras.
JimI only wish that this were true. I have a pretty good selection of older FD lenses which will not acceptably work on the the new DSLRs. True there are FD/EOS adaptors, but according to what I've read on them ,the quality degradation though the non cannon lenses of the adaptors makes a whole new lens more attractive.

Neil Clemmons
12-03-2006, 4:48 PM
Great reviews and ratings of camera lenses at the fredmiranda dot com site.

dpreviews is excellent and very thorough on the camera reviews with forums on lens discussions.

dcresource dot com is also a worthwhile site on digital cameras.

neil

Ken Garlock
12-03-2006, 5:49 PM
I know I'm going to get the Rebel XTi kit from B&H. My question is though, if you were going to get one good lens which one would it be and why (in the 3 - 400 range)?

I don't have a recommendation on a lens other than I would stay with Canon equipment, 100%. I have an old A1 that still works, way back when I bought the Canon 80-240, 20-70, and a times two adaptor. If you are going to buy the best out of Japan, buy the best lens also, IMO.

Peter Stahl
12-06-2006, 6:28 AM
Well I finally ordered my Camera. Will be getting the Canon XTi kit plus a couple lenses, Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS & EF 50mm f/1.8 II Autofocus. Also got a eyepiece extender and a hood for the 28-135 lens. I'll look for a good bag after I get it, hard to tell what they look like on the screen. Any must have accessories that I should also get? Thanks everyone for your replies. I'll post some pictures after I get it for sure.

Chris Rosenberger
12-06-2006, 7:50 AM
Remember, there's a 1.5X or so conversion factor for lenses when used on (most*) DSLRs: that 50mm acts like a 75-80mm and the 28-80mm is really a 40-120mm. So both are better suited for portrait or outdoor work than interiors.

The typical 18-55 "kit" lens works out to 28-80, which is a good place to start. I know Nikon has a 18-135 zoom, so there's probably a Canon equivalent if you want to get a bit more range for outdoors.

(*I say "most" because there's a high-end Canon that uses a full-frame sensor: lenses on it work at their normal focal length.)

It is my understanding that the Canon XTi has a full size sensor. So the 1.5X conversion does not apply to the XTi.

Louis Bois
12-06-2006, 8:57 AM
Chris, the 400Dxti actually has a 1.6x field of view crop...FYI.

Lee DeRaud
12-06-2006, 10:24 AM
It is my understanding that the Canon XTi has a full size sensor. So the 1.5X conversion does not apply to the XTi.There are Canons with full-frame sensors, but not in the 'Rebel' line: you need to move up to the 5D or 1Ds Mk II models...and bring a bigger checkbook. (There's also the 1D with a 1.3X 'mid-sized' sensor.)

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ProductCatIndexAct&fcategoryid=113

Brian Hale
12-06-2006, 4:34 PM
Boy are you gonna have some fun!!!!!

You'll find that 50 f1.8 to be one VERY sharp lens and the f1.8 makes it great low light lens. I've even used it with extension tubes for macro shots with a very narrow depth of field.

For bags, I'm a Lowepro fan. Well padded, very durable and most are waterproof (or at least come with a hood)

As for other accessories, my first suggestion would be a circular polarizer for each lens. I prefer the Moose Warm Cir Pol.

Congrats on the new camera! ;)

Well I finally ordered my Camera. Will be getting the Canon XTi kit plus a couple lenses, Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS & EF 50mm f/1.8 II Autofocus. Also got a eyepiece extender and a hood for the 28-135 lens. I'll look for a good bag after I get it, hard to tell what they look like on the screen. Any must have accessories that I should also get? Thanks everyone for your replies. I'll post some pictures after I get it for sure.

Chris Rosenberger
12-06-2006, 8:14 PM
Louis & Lee,
Thank you. I stand corrected. I bought a Canon XT in the spring. I love the canera. But I was disappointed that I did not wait a while longer to buy one after I saw the XTi in a store & the salesman told me it had a full size sensor. I did not check it out, I just took it as my normal luck. Now I feel much better.:)

Eric Sabo
12-07-2006, 11:55 AM
FWIW, I've been a Canon user for quite a few years. I've been through two film SLR's and am on my second DSLR. I use the 30D, but all applies.

My favorite lense, by far, is my little Mk1 50/1.8. Not quite the 50 1.4 I'd like, but it does a great job at F2.8 and above, and can work in a pinch below that. I rarely, if ever use my flash (hate flashes!), and do a lot of photojournalism for non-profits in the area. That cheap (I paid 50 for it, with a decent film SLR attached to the back of it), little lense has made more people happy than I can count.

Also, the kit lense isn't great, but its handy to have around and as a first lense. Don't let anyone tell you its awful, because its not. Its just not great.

All of the photos taken at this link were taken with my 30D and 50/1.8
http://personal.skyphix.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=275&g2_page=1

And here are two samples of photos taken with the kit lense.
http://personal.skyphix.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=351
and
http://personal.skyphix.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=353

I can show you a ton more, but you'd probably get bored...

Although, I admit, I am a considerably better photographer than woodworker, and that ain't sayin' much.

Also, remember, most of the time its not the camera or lense thats at fault for a poor photo.

Peter Stahl
12-07-2006, 2:28 PM
Boy are you gonna have some fun!!!!!

You'll find that 50 f1.8 to be one VERY sharp lens and the f1.8 makes it great low light lens. I've even used it with extension tubes for macro shots with a very narrow depth of field.

For bags, I'm a Lowepro fan. Well padded, very durable and most are waterproof (or at least come with a hood)

As for other accessories, my first suggestion would be a circular polarizer for each lens. I prefer the Moose Warm Cir Pol.

Congrats on the new camera! ;)

Thanks Brian, Lens filters are on my list.

Peter Stahl
12-07-2006, 2:31 PM
FWIW, I've been a Canon user for quite a few years. I've been through two film SLR's and am on my second DSLR. I use the 30D, but all applies.

My favorite lense, by far, is my little Mk1 50/1.8. Not quite the 50 1.4 I'd like, but it does a great job at F2.8 and above, and can work in a pinch below that. I rarely, if ever use my flash (hate flashes!), and do a lot of photojournalism for non-profits in the area. That cheap (I paid 50 for it, with a decent film SLR attached to the back of it), little lense has made more people happy than I can count.

Also, the kit lense isn't great, but its handy to have around and as a first lense. Don't let anyone tell you its awful, because its not. Its just not great.

All of the photos taken at this link were taken with my 30D and 50/1.8
http://personal.skyphix.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=275&g2_page=1

And here are two samples of photos taken with the kit lense.
http://personal.skyphix.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=351
and
http://personal.skyphix.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=353

I can show you a ton more, but you'd probably get bored...

Although, I admit, I am a considerably better photographer than woodworker, and that ain't sayin' much.

Also, remember, most of the time its not the camera or lense thats at fault for a poor photo.

Eric, Pictures are very nice. Can't wait to try my camera out, thanks

Burt Alcantara
12-07-2006, 2:35 PM
When the D30 was announced, I immediatly purchased it. The suggested lens at that time was the Canon 28-135 IS - the Swiss Army Knife of Photography.

After using it for a very short while I began to buy lenses blindly thinking they would resolve problems brought upon by inexperience.

When traveling or packing for lightness the lens I always take is the 28-135. It is on my camera now. The only other lens I use is the 100-400 but only rarely.

When my wife got into photography I gave her my 128-135. After a while I found I couldn't shoot without it so I bought another.

Lenses are like people. You make a first impression then think you everything about that person. Time and experience makes intimacy.

Buy one lens and use it for a few years. This will teach you how the lens sees and how you see through the lens. Each lens has its own character. Its true nature will appear when you are ready to see it.

Burt

Jim Becker
12-07-2006, 3:11 PM
Although I'm still a relatively amateur photographer, I really can relate with what Burt states. I keep the stock, kit lens Nikkor (18-70mm DX) on my D70 almost all the time...and concentrate on taking good pictures that are framed well. Outside of some wildlife shots using the longer zoom lens I own (on a tripod) the "little lens" really is quite versatile, providing some nice wide angle when it works and good closeups for portraiture. It's also very nice to be able to "shoot the heck" out of a subject with digital and just throw out what doesn't work...especially on candid shots where the subject is moving. The zoom lens I stick with most of the time really helps with that, too.

Wide angle...

Portrait...

Peter Stahl
12-07-2006, 4:49 PM
When the D30 was announced, I immediatly purchased it. The suggested lens at that time was the Canon 28-135 IS - the Swiss Army Knife of Photography.

After using it for a very short while I began to buy lenses blindly thinking they would resolve problems brought upon by inexperience.

When traveling or packing for lightness the lens I always take is the 28-135. It is on my camera now. The only other lens I use is the 100-400 but only rarely.

When my wife got into photography I gave her my 128-135. After a while I found I couldn't shoot without it so I bought another.

Lenses are like people. You make a first impression then think you everything about that person. Time and experience makes intimacy.

Buy one lens and use it for a few years. This will teach you how the lens sees and how you see through the lens. Each lens has its own character. Its true nature will appear when you are ready to see it.

Burt

Burt,

Thanks for the reply. I think after this purchase I'll be experimenting for quite a while before I buy another lens. Glad to hear the 28-135 was a good lens.

Peter Stahl
12-07-2006, 4:52 PM
Although I'm still a relatively amateur photographer, I really can relate with what Burt states. I keep the stock, kit lens Nikkor (18-70mm DX) on my D70 almost all the time...and concentrate on taking good pictures that are framed well. Outside of some wildlife shots using the longer zoom lens I own (on a tripod) the "little lens" really is quite versatile, providing some nice wide angle when it works and good closeups for portraiture. It's also very nice to be able to "shoot the heck" out of a subject with digital and just throw out what doesn't work...especially on candid shots where the subject is moving. The zoom lens I stick with most of the time really helps with that, too.

Wide angle...

Portrait...

Jim,

The pictures are great, the girls are cute, growing like weeds huh! Are the pictures that are attached really as small as the properties say or are the just thumbnails of the originals? Thanks for the replys.

Jim Becker
12-07-2006, 5:23 PM
Peter, click on the thumbs to get the 640 pixel wide versions. SMC does "auto thumbnail" to save bandwidth. The originals of these are 3008x2000 pixels. Those displayed are retouched for contrast/color first, reduced in physical size (pixels) for web display and then sharpened before saving as compressed JPG files. I use Adobe Photoshop Elements 5.

Brian Hale
12-07-2006, 5:29 PM
Jim, does Elements do curves? (i use PSCS) There's a saying that goes: Every image can use a little S curve.

Just curious ;)

Peter Stahl
12-09-2006, 7:50 AM
Just wanted to say thanks to all who replied. I received my camera yesterday via UPS, they are so busy the guy that delivered it was using a U-Haul truck. Took a couple pictures, the subject I took a picture of didn't seem to be real happy to be there. Got a lot of things to learn about using this camera now, should be a lot of fun. I shrank the picture using Pixsizer to get it down to the size for this forum.

Brian Hale
12-09-2006, 9:13 AM
Looking Good Peter!!!!!

Like i said, you're really gonna have some fun with that setup. If i can help with any questions please feel free to ask!

Hmmmmmm I think it's time for some new workshop pics ;)