PDA

View Full Version : Boat Building for Idiots

John Bailey
12-01-2006, 6:32 AM
Hi all,

I've been documenting a boatbuilding project on another forum. I thought it might be helpful here also. I'm not an expert, in fact, I'm far from it. While this is my second boat, the first one was a kit, so this one is quite a challenge. I've often seen boat building projects documented on the web, but most are done by pros and they have a different perspective. I thought the perspective from a "challenged" boat builder might be instructive, as well as amusing at times.

First, in boatbuilding you have to build some kind of strongback. I cut out the parts from 2x6x10's. Everything has to be square, straight and level. The cross pieces are called "spalls" and are what the moulds will be attached to. They are a square 1 1/2 x 1 1/2. A centerline is draw on all sides of all pieces.

There isn't much I would do different with this part of the project. It's 15' long and 2 1/2' wide. It's probably overkill for this size boat, but I've had to climb all over it to use handplanes, and at my size, it was best built strong.

The next was to cut out the moulds and attach them to the strongback. The moulds were easy to cut out because I was using full sizes plans. By the way, this is a Whilly Boat designed by Ian Oughtred. The moulds are made of 1/2" ply. They are marked with the centerline, the sheer line and where all the planks will "land," thereby being called "lands." Next time I'll use 1x stock. You end up nailing and screwing patterns and planks to the moulds and the ply just doesn't hold up. Once you get the moulds up, you have to align and shim them so they are exactly in line and level. You see how I've clamped sticks to the centerline so I can sight down the moulds, which are at different heights. After you get everything all set, you nail braces on a few of the moulds so they stay square and level, then nail battens to the mould edges to keep everything stiff.

51321 51323

And when it's all done, hopefull it'll look something like this.

John

Bill Antonacchio
12-01-2006, 7:41 AM
Hi John,

If I ever get to have a workshop again, one of the first projects I would like to try is this size boat. Please keep the story going as I think I qualify by your title and can use as much help as I can find.

I do have a question, already, you said:

The moulds are made of 1/2" ply.Next time I'll use 1x stock. My question is, if the moulds are those big rounded triangles how do you get 1x that wide? Or have I missed the mark again?

Regards,
Bill

John Bailey
12-01-2006, 8:30 AM
Hi John,

If I ever get to have a workshop again, one of the first projects I would like to try is this size boat. Please keep the story going as I think I qualify by your title and can use as much help as I can find.

I do have a question, already, you said:
My question is, if the moulds are those big rounded triangles how do you get 1x that wide? Or have I missed the mark again?

Regards,
Bill

I just did a search all over the internet and can't come up with a good picture. Basically you use 1x stock and join pieces that that have ends cut on an angle so, when put it together, they will cover the shape of the outside edge of the mould. Then you trace the outside edge of the mould on the 1x stock. You then have to brace it so it stays put. I don't think I'm explaining this very well, I'll get a picture sooner or later.

John

Chuck Saunders
12-01-2006, 9:33 AM
Hi John,
Please keep the story going as I think I qualify by your title and can use as much help as I can find.

You think "You" qualify? I was wondering why John didn't just PM me:). Let me add my vote to keep us up to date John. I have a couple of boat plans on my looong range plan.
Chuck

John Schreiber
12-01-2006, 11:45 AM
That's a big project, but I can't think of anything more satisfying.

A little cuddy cabin sailboat is on my list, but it's so far down the list I doubt it will ever get to the top.

Nothing, absolutely nothing, beats messing about in boats.

John Bailey
12-04-2006, 8:46 AM
After the moulds are all set, straight and square, you have to attach the stems. In my case, I'm building a "double ended" boat, so there will be a bow and stern stem. I didn't get a good picture, but you start be making a patter from the full-sized plans and then transfering that pattern to your stock. Because there is quite a bend to the stems, you have to either saw them into three pieces or laminiate them. I don't like working with epoxy if I don't have to, so I used the sawn stems method. I still had to epoxy the pieces together, but it wasn't near as messy. After the pieces are epoxied, you cut the rough shape out on the bandsaw.

After that you mark all the appropriate lines on the stems, center line, plank lands, bevel marks, etc. Then its back to the bandsaw for the start of final shaping.

After the bandsaw work, it's a final shaping, mostly with a block plane and a spokeshave, then they are carfully lined up and attached to the moulds.

51776 51775

At this point I expereimented with different ways of making sure the bow and stern stems lined up. I ended up using a string attached to a board and made sure the string followed all the centerline markings on the moulds. Next it will be time to cut out and attach the keelson.

John

John Schreiber
12-04-2006, 9:57 AM
Thanks for keeping us informed. A project like that is only worthwhile if you love the work and the product. I remember an article once which said that boat builders always had the messiest shops because when they weren't actually making boats, they didn't want to clean the shop, they wanted to go sailing.

John Bailey
12-04-2006, 10:49 AM
John,

I think there's something to that. I used to pride myself in a fairly clean and organized shop. Now that I'm building a boat, it's gettin' pretty messy around here. Although I'm not sure of the "goin' sailing" excuse. We just got home last night from a weekend in Chicago and it's hard to think about sailing with the 18" of snow we've got. I just spent 2 hrs. with a snow shovel and I've not even attempted to get to the shop yet.

John

John Bailey
12-12-2006, 11:45 AM
Next part of the project is to attach the keelson. That's the upper part of the keel, or backbone. Someone with more marine nomenclature knowledge is very welcome to correct my terms. That's part of the "idiot" part of the thread. The first thing is to line-up the stems, both bow and stern, so they match up with the moulds. You can see by the picture, it's important to have all the marks on the stems so they can be placed correctly.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k301/JohnBailey_01/Whilly%20Boat/1ststationrighton.jpg

After that's done, the keelson is placed and temporarily screwed into position.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k301/JohnBailey_01/Whilly%20Boat/Keelsonsighting.jpg

Then, it's glued to the stems. I'm using screws for clamping.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k301/JohnBailey_01/Whilly%20Boat/SternStem.jpg

Then, before shaping the keelson, the slot for the centerboard is cut. First by drilling a hole for the jigsaw,

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k301/JohnBailey_01/Whilly%20Boat/DrillingforDaggerBoardcut-out.jpg

then, cutting the slot. I've clamped a straight edge so the slot will be straight. I love that new Bosch.:D

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k301/JohnBailey_01/Whilly%20Boat/CuttingKeelsonforDropBoard.jpg

Next update will show the shaping of the keelson, and the problems I experienced with that.

John

Tom Hamilton
12-12-2006, 4:29 PM
Great tutorial, John, thanks for taking to time to share with all of us.

All the best, Tom, in Houston, with an itch to build a wooden boat.

Chuck Saunders
07-23-2007, 8:39 AM
Next update will show the shaping of the keelson, and the problems I experienced with that.

John

Not to be pushy John, but, any progress?

Jim Becker
07-23-2007, 11:20 AM
You have more ambition than me, John!!! :D :D :D But I always love these kind of pictorials...always something new to learn...so yes, how about an update?

John Bailey
07-01-2009, 7:16 AM
Not to be pushy John, but, any progress?

Thanks for the push Chuck!!;)

After a couple of years of loosing employment, going back to work, and learning that I liked restoring vintage woodworking machines as much as building boats (as well as having a bit of a disagreement with the local building department) I thought I'd start this thread up again.

I know I'm not the only one that gets a bit overwhelmed by projects and burn out. However, after visiting Mystic Seaports and the Wooden Boat Show this past week, I'm charged up again. While I've got some work to do in the shop to get up to speed, like putting the finishing touches on the DeWalt radial arm saw, I felt the need to start this thread up again. I've moved it for obvious reasons. We didn't have a Boat Building Fourm when I first started.

One thing to keep in mind. If you haven't looked at the thread from the beginning, the purpose of the thread is to show boat building from the perspective of a novice - a complete novice - thus the title. Feel free to add advice, constructive criticism or just have a good time with some of my mistakes, I certainly have.

The first couple of pictures are of the keelson. The first is just a sighting down the keelson and the second is that of the keelson with the cutout for the dagger board.

122075 122076

The next picture is the first step of shaping the stems that will fit on the ends of the keelson and form the shape of the bow and stern. This is done with a bandsaw to start the angle of stem that will eventually take the strakes, or sides of the boat. Then it's off to the bench for a final clean-up.

122077 122078

For those of you who care about such things, I had worked 52 hours on the boat at this point. This is just about double what I had expected. Although that's usually pretty good for most woodworking projects - double what you think.

John

Mac McQuinn
07-01-2009, 12:17 PM
John ,

Keep up the good work, looks great, when the planking start?:)
as always keep us posted on your progress.

Mac

John Bailey
07-01-2009, 12:52 PM
John ,

Keep up the good work, looks great, when the planking start?:)
as always keep us posted on your progress.

Mac

Thanks Mac,

Actually, these steps are from a couple of years ago. I'm trying to put them in order to show folks what it's like to build. At this point I've got the first two strakes (out of four) done. We'll get to that later.

What we really need is a couple more projects going to create interest in the forum. We can check into Gary K's blog site to see his progress, but it seems you've got some plans to. So, when does the San Juan start up?

John

Robert Parrish
07-01-2009, 2:58 PM
Good work John! I built a Bruce Robert 19' sloop in the late 70's and it took me 2 1/2 years to finish it working nights and weekends. Here is a photo of me launching it on the Potomac! I sailed it for several years on the Chesapeake bay.

Mac McQuinn
07-01-2009, 5:59 PM
Thanks Mac,

Actually, these steps are from a couple of years ago. I'm trying to put them in order to show folks what it's like to build. At this point I've got the first two strakes (out of four) done. We'll get to that later.

What we really need is a couple more projects going to create interest in the forum. We can check into Gary K's blog site to see his progress, but it seems you've got some plans to. So, when does the San Juan start up?

John

John thanks for the encouragement. The San Juan is certainly on my A-list although I'm also looking at a design by Phil Bolger which i believe is called the Fish Hawk, looks a bit like a narrowed San Juan. It might be a better candidate for my local river system. This design is in Dynamite Payson's newest book.

I'm trying to finish off some smaller projects before jumping in with both feet on a boat. I just finished a Craftsman style table for my wife and currently doing re-construction roof job for my brother on his patio. Working solo and it should be finished this Friday, if it ever stops raining......... My son is expecting his 1st child in 2 weeks so my wife and i have been keeping a ear towards the phone in case we need to make a quick road trip to Kentucky for the big arrival. We are hopefully going to move in the next few months if house values ever return. We're 98% ready but i need to do a counter top job in the kitchen before putting the house on the market. Just a lot going on.....:rolleyes:

Will keep you posted once I start on the forms, whichever design i decide on.

Mac

John Bailey
07-01-2009, 9:25 PM
Good work John! I built a Bruce Robert 19' sloop in the late 70's and it took me 2 1/2 years to finish it working nights and weekends. Here is a photo of me launching it on the Potomac! I sailed it for several years on the Chesapeake bay.

Robert, I'm not seeing the photo!!

Anyway, on with my project.

While doing the port side stern stem, all I had was my hand tools. I love using them, a Stanley #3, Stanley #5, Stanley 151 spokeshave, old Craftsman block plane and an old draw knife. It took 2 hours to get this part done. Then the big brown truck drove up and delivered my new power planer. In the next two hours I finished up the starboard stern stem completed both sides to station 4 from the stern. I finished just about 3 times the work in the same time as using the hand tools only. The power planer is slick.

122125 122126

The nice thing about the hand tools and the first two hours is I listened to Mahler's Symphony #2 while I was working. It's just not the same with the power planer. Fortunately, I did have to use a plane and a spokeshave part of the time with the power planer.

I'll add a couple of pictures of the keelson partially shaped.

122127 122128

John

Robert Parrish
07-02-2009, 6:25 AM
Sorry John, here it is. I think!

John Bailey
07-02-2009, 6:38 AM
Sorry John, here it is. I think!

Looks good Rob, but now that you've whetted our appetites, how about some more!!

John

John Bailey
07-02-2009, 6:57 AM
While finishing up the keelson, I've found that my bow stem is crooked. Ouch! I found that the joint between the stem and keelson had moved after I epoxied. Obviously I didn't check the alignment closely enough and it moved after clamping. The lines had lined up when I epoxied, and I even put a screw in to keep the lines straight, but something happened. I'm going to have to cut the joint and scarph in another piece. I'm going to extend the stem about 4"'s so the new joint will be a little longer. Not as long as the stern joint, but longer than what I had.

122136 122137

Everything was going great. From midship to the bow, everything fit perfectly. I was very pleased. Then, as I was approaching mould #7, I realised I had taken off too much wood on the stem where it sat on the mold. Oughtred's book says if this happens, the builder has to decide whether to fill in with epoxy or to add wood and then reshape. I chose to add wood.

The first picture is of the completed backbone. I took it off the moulds to do the final shaping. Notice the joint between the keelson and bow stem looks quite a bit better. The second picture is of the second fix, filling wood at mould #7, I've had to do. This part of the building process is getting old. The last picture is of my scarphing practice session. I know there's many ways to do this, I've decided to set up a simple jig and use a power planer.

John

Robert Parrish
07-02-2009, 8:01 AM
Here is a couple more from the launch. I'm in the blue shirt but 30 years younger! The construction photos are in an album that I have not scanned in yet. We had a turning over party when I finished the hull. My garage was 19'6" and the boat was 19' 3". I used the West system epoxy for construction.

Nate Carey
07-02-2009, 8:15 AM
Robert, is the boat still around? You look like a fellow I met at Woodstock (August 1969)...

Robert Parrish
07-02-2009, 8:29 AM
No Nate, I sailed the boat on the Potomac and Chesapeake Bay for a couple of years then I donated it to a boys and girls sailing club in Maryland. After getting the sailing bug I bought me a Sabre 28.

John I didn't mean to high jack your thread!

Jeff Dege
07-02-2009, 11:10 AM
I finished just about 3 times the work in the same time as using the hand tools only.
Does that mean I could screw up and create 3 times the mess, in 1/3rd the time, if I was using a power planer?

John Bailey
07-02-2009, 8:20 PM
Does that mean I could screw up and create 3 times the mess, in 1/3rd the time, if I was using a power planer?

That was a year ago and since then, I've learned that the power planer is not only "not slick," but that your assessment is not only correct, but may be an understatement. I rarely use it any more now that I've found out all the trouble it can get me into.

John

John Bailey
07-07-2009, 6:58 AM
Started the day by shaping the stern stem after adding wood yesterday. It took awhile, and it doesn't look great, but the pattern lays very flat, so I'm happy.

After that, I started working on the garboard pattern. I used what would commonly be referred to as "door skin" ply. It's just a bit thinner than the good stuff, but it only cost $10 a sheet. I cut it out an inch and a half wider than the garboard and screwed in on the moulds. It fit very well. What you do is get underneath the boat and mark all the spots where the pattern touches the appropriate point on the mould.

Then I used a batten that touches all the marks that I just made on the pattern to get a fair line, and cut the pattern out.

All that was left to do today was to screw on the completed pattern to see if it fit - it did.

John

Nate Carey
07-07-2009, 7:26 AM
...good morning John, your boat is progressing well. I hope your series will encourage a woodworker or two to build a boat.

Is that a "Parks" (or "Craftsman") 12" planer base casting I see in a couple of your photos? I have one that has served me for many years...Nate

John Bailey
07-07-2009, 1:33 PM
Yep Nate,

That's an old Parks. As far as I can figure it's a 1942 model. When I got it, it wouldn't work, or even turn over. So, it went from this:

To this:

and finally, to this:

It took me over a year and a great deal of frustration to restore it. I'd never done anything like that before. It's still not done as I don't like the colour, I had to rewire the motor and it runs backwards, and I haven't fine tuned it yet. I'm also working on an old Oliver 192-D bandsaw and an old DeWalt radial arm saw. Of course, it keeps me from finishing the boat, or, at least gives me an excuse!

John

Peter Benders
08-21-2009, 9:19 PM
thank you very much john. the article is very informative.it teaches how to build a boat in a very impressive way. keep up the good work

raul segura
08-24-2009, 4:18 PM
:) thanks for sharing Ive seen several sites with posts like this and I like yours very well. I purchased planes for the weekender from Stevensons projects, but since then Ive found two other small boats Ive fallen for, cant decide. I am intrigued that on a boat most things are not square but with some interesting angle.
You mentioned that the door skins are little thinner than the planes ask for. For a boat this size it sounds awfully fragile. I presume that you will coat with fiberglass ? If you can get away with this it sounds like it will be a very light sail.
I'm looking forward to seeing more please,
thanks again.

Eric Westerman
10-13-2009, 2:46 PM
This is awesome!

Eric
Greensboro NC
Woodworkers Store (http://woodworker.com/)

John Bailey
10-18-2009, 6:36 AM
You mentioned that the door skins are little thinner than the planes ask for. For a boat this size it sounds awfully fragile. I presume that you will coat with fiberglass ? If you can get away with this it sounds like it will be a very light sail.
I'm looking forward to seeing more please,
thanks again.

The door skins are for the patterns only. I've used 1/4" marine ply for the actual boat.

Next came the scarph on the garboards and then glued them up. I tried to set up home made jigs and had trouble. So, I ended up doing it free hand. They seem to fit OK, but I wasn't real happy with the results. I'm going to have to do some fairing to get these to look right under paint. The shearstrake is the one I'm really concerned about. I've plans to leave it bright, but that means I need to have a good looking joint.

Here's the picture of the finished garboard being glued to the keel.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k301/JohnBailey_01/Whilly%20Boat/Garboadplanksglued.jpg

The gluing came after the fit,

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k301/JohnBailey_01/Whilly%20Boat/GarboardScrewon1.jpg

which came after the fitting,

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k301/JohnBailey_01/Whilly%20Boat/GarboardBowendfittopattern.jpg

which came after the gluing of the scarph,

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k301/JohnBailey_01/Whilly%20Boat/Jointingthetwogarboardsides.jpg

which came after cutting the scarph, which I wan't very happy with!!:(

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k301/JohnBailey_01/Whilly%20Boat/Scarphing.jpg

And yes, I got the pictures in the wrong order but I'm not about to try to redo them. You get the picture!;)

John