PDA

View Full Version : Ordered Freud 7 1/4 blade-offered Shark blade, Help

Allen Bookout
11-30-2006, 9:59 PM
I need some help from some of you saw blade experts.

I ordered a Freud 7 1/4" forty tooth finish blade (TK303) from Amazon and the company shipping it just emailed me and said that they were out but would send me three Shark Pro-series 7 1/4" forty tooth blades in its place if I desired. They stated that the Shark Pro-series is also a fine quality blade but I have no idea. I only have two days to decide or the order will be canceled. Does anyone know about the quality of these blades compared to the Freud?

I did try to look into the blades but all that I could find was on Amazon and there were no ratings available. http://www.amazon.com/Shark-Pro-Carbide-Finish-Circular/dp/B000JQ1EIC/sr=1-99/qid=1164940971/ref=sr_1_99/002-0713801-4557621?ie=UTF8&s=hi

Thanks! Allen

Christopher Kochan
11-30-2006, 10:15 PM
Cancel the order. You wanted and ordered a Freud blade, so that's just what you should get. I can't imagine that their price was so good that you couldn't go anywhere else for the blade for the same money, and even if it was a stellar price.... you wouldn't be getting what you ordered anyhow.

Is the reseller not going to be getting any more in anytime soon? Either take a replacement blade or cancel the order? That sure seems strange. A better customer service option would have been to let you know when they expect more blades in, and offer to upgrade your shipping for free when they get new stock.

Best of luck to you, and I appologize if my tone seems a bit crabby, it's just that I hate to see buisnesses play games like this.

Best,
Christopher

glenn bradley
11-30-2006, 10:46 PM
I find it hard to imagine a no-name blade replacing a Freud. Maybe an Amana or a Lietz . . . ? 7 1/4 Freuds aren't all that expensive. Lowe's carries their Avanti line (which is definitely not their pro stuff but great for the price). HD carries the Diablo line of Freuds; a step or so down from the Avanti according to Freud but I have one in my general purpose circular saw and it seems to do fine for rough work like panel break downs.

scott spencer
12-01-2006, 4:58 AM
The conservative approach would be to cancel the order. In fairness, I don't know anything about the Shark blades...they might be terrific, but the fact that Amazon is offering 3 for 1 tells me that even they don't believe they're comparable on 1:1 ratio. A Freud 40T 7-1/4" blade should be easy to come by...even if it's a Diablo version.

Billy Chambless
12-01-2006, 8:00 AM
A Freud 40T 7-1/4" blade should be easy to come by...even if it's a Diablo version.

The Diablos are certainly easy to find around here. Are thye just a budget version of the regular Freud blades?

Charles McCracken
12-01-2006, 8:46 AM
The Diablos are certainly easy to find around here. Are thye just a budget version of the regular Freud blades?

Billy,

Diablo and Avanti blade are made on the same production line and of the same materials as Freud Industrial and Commercial blades. The difference is primarily the intended use (who it is marketed to) and expected lifetime (total lifetime, not time between sharpenings).

Allen Bookout
12-01-2006, 9:46 AM
Thanks Guys! I think that I will cancel my order and let someone else experiment. Sounds like a good job for Scott Spencer.

I was just picking up a second Freud because I like the one I have now so much. The email that I received from the seller was very nice and apologetic. I think that I just caught him short after a run on the blade. Happens sometimes.

Billy Chambless
12-01-2006, 1:33 PM
Billy,

Diablo and Avanti blade are made on the same production line and of the same materials as Freud Industrial and Commercial blades. The difference is primarily the intended use (who it is marketed to) and expected lifetime (total lifetime, not time between sharpenings).

Thanks, Charles. I was considering the Diablo 40 tooth for cutting hardwood plywood with a circular saw. Sounds like it'll work well for what I want.

glenn bradley
12-01-2006, 1:45 PM
Thanks to Charles as usual for clarifying.

scott spencer
12-01-2006, 2:00 PM
Thanks Guys! I think that I will cancel my order and let someone else experiment. Sounds like a good job for Scott Spencer.

I was just picking up a second Freud because I like the one I have now so much. The email that I received from the seller was very nice and apologetic. I think that I just caught him short after a run on the blade. Happens sometimes.

Maybe you should go ahead and the get the Shark blades Allen....and since you'll have a couple of spares, maybe you could send one to Rochester! :D

Allen Bookout
12-01-2006, 2:50 PM
Scott

That is quite a coincidence that you just posted your thought. That is just what I decided to do. The seller sent me back this message:

"Dear Mr. Bookout,

Thanks for your prompt reply. We have not conducted any extensive testing of the Shark Pro-series blades in comparison with this specific Freud blade model. However, in regards to your concerns of durability, smoothness of cut and minimum chipout, see below.

Shark Pro-series
Durability: C-3 grade carbide tips with 8% Cobalt content that substantially reduces the chance to tip chipping or fractures. I believe the Freud blade also has a C-3 grade carbide tip.
Smoothness of Cut: Is determined by the # of teeth and the flatness of the blade, so I believe you'll find both blades substantially equal in this regard.
Chipout: Both blades have similar hook angles and an alternate tooth bevel grind so the chipout results should be similar.

We will ship you the Three (3) Shark Pro-series blades. Test one of them on some scrap hardwood plywood. Should you not be happy with the results. Ship the 2 unused blades back to us for a "full refund" on your order.

Thanks Again,

Richard Staton"

I will just count on keeping them as I can always use them on rough stuff if they do not work out. If you will email or send me a private message with your address I will send you one to see what you think.

Allen

Bruce Wrenn
12-01-2006, 10:51 PM
Thanks, Charles. I was considering the Diablo 40 tooth for cutting hardwood plywood with a circular saw. Sounds like it'll work well for what I want.Last year I switched from Oldham 40 tooth blades to Freud 40 tooth Diablos on my 7 1/4 saws. No comparison, kinda like going from a YUGO to ________ (you name the brand). Diablo is by far the best cutting blade that has ever been on my 25+ year old B&D Sawcat! Cuts everything, including Hardie Plank siding.

Billy Chambless
12-02-2006, 8:54 AM
Last year I switched from Oldham 40 tooth blades to Freud 40 tooth Diablos on my 7 1/4 saws. No comparison, kinda like going from a YUGO to ________ (you name the brand). Diablo is by far the best cutting blade that has ever been on my 25+ year old B&D Sawcat! Cuts everything, including Hardie Plank siding.

Bruce, that's good to hear, especially since my Milwaukee 6390 has to do allt he table saw/miter saw jobs. ;)

Allen Bookout
12-07-2006, 12:06 AM
After I decided to go ahead and accept the offer from Richard Staton at Tri Tek I emailed him and as soon as he got my message he sent me the three Shark Pro-series fine finish blades. He sent them Priority Mail and I got them the next day. You sure can't beat service like that. I got a chance to do a couple of test cuts today. I did them in plywood to not only check the smoothness of the cut buy also to check for splintering. I alternated cuts using the Shark and the Freud TK303 and I could not tell any difference between the two blades. It is certainly to soon to evaluate the longivity so that remains to be seen. All in all I am very, very happy with the deal.

If you ever decide to purchase anything from Tri Tek, judging from my experience, you will be treated like you just placed a $10,000 order. I have never given a seller a rateing on Amazon before but I was so impressed that I gave them their first rateing. Needless to say it was five star.

scott spencer
12-07-2006, 6:29 AM
That's good to hear Allen. Thanks for the followup and for volunteering to be the guinnea pig!