PDA

View Full Version : Out of fustration comes a new toyl gloat

Dan Mages
11-30-2006, 9:48 PM
I got fed up with trying to tighten a band clamp around the flexible ductwork in the basement. I needed one hand to keep the stuff in place, one to hold the band clamp, and one to torque it down with a ratchet. Oh, and all of the fun is between two joists, the floor above, and the I joist & HVAC trunk below.

So now I have a nice new toyl for my collection. It is an iXO mini 1/4" driver by Skil. I just love how small this thing is. It is sitting on my trusty old 7" speed square for comparison. It also has a couple of idiot lights to let you know which direction is is spinning. So far, so good!!

Dan

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/DanMages/Basement%20work/100_1792.jpg

Paul Kinneberg
11-30-2006, 10:22 PM
I got mine for putting in outlets when I wired my shop last spring, it worked great. Nice mini gloat.

Allen Bookout
11-30-2006, 10:24 PM
I always wondered what something that small was good for and now I know.

glenn bradley
11-30-2006, 10:40 PM
New "toyl"? As small as that is maybe it's a new "toyl-ette". Har-d-har. Great little tool and I'm sure much easier to use than the ratchet while your other hand is holding stuff in place.

chris fox
11-30-2006, 10:58 PM
that sure would be a nice tool to drive screws in tight places. Does it have enough power for driving screws? better yet pocket screws?
I saw something like this(think it was a bosch) at Rockler a few weeks ago but it was 150 bucks.

Chris

Craig Walls
11-30-2006, 11:36 PM
It's the new Bosch 10 volt lithium ion. It's geared very low and is about the size of the Skil. Also has a LED light that comes on when you squeeze the trigger. It's one of my fav tools!! $129 at HD

David Rose
11-30-2006, 11:51 PM
Neat teeny gloat. What is the speed of that puppy? I guess from the looks, the battery is internal? I am wondering if it is too fast to drive most screws.

David

Dan Mages
12-01-2006, 7:34 AM
Neat teeny gloat. What is the speed of that puppy? I guess from the looks, the battery is internal? I am wondering if it is too fast to drive most screws.

David
It is a decent pace. It is equivalent to those old school potato masher NiCAD screwdrivers. It also feels torquier. And yes, the battery is internal.

Dan

John Miliunas
12-01-2006, 8:15 AM
Hey, now that looks like a real handy (literally) little tool. Keep a charge for a decent amount of time? And, speaking of "charge", how long for a typical charge? :) :cool:

Dan Mages
12-01-2006, 10:05 AM
Hey, now that looks like a real handy (literally) little tool. Keep a charge for a decent amount of time? And, speaking of "charge", how long for a typical charge? :) :cool:
Its too early to say. The marketing people want me to beleive that the lithium ion battery will last 18 months before any noticable fade and that the battery has 60% more capacity than comparable NiCADs.

But that is according to Marketers. only experience will tell...

Benjimin Young
12-01-2006, 10:20 AM
and it comes with Robertson bits, now I'm impressed!

http://www.skiltools.com/rb/Development/NA/POWERTOOLS/SKIL/mcms//Images/Tools/2336-01/application/app2_2336-01_lg.jpg

John Miliunas
12-01-2006, 11:42 AM
Its too early to say. The marketing people want me to beleive that the lithium ion battery will last 18 months before any noticable fade and that the battery has 60% more capacity than comparable NiCADs.

But that is according to Marketers. only experience will tell...

Well, we all know where Marketers may lead us to! :eek: So, if you would be so kind as to update us appropriately after some run time, that would be great, Dan! :) It does indeed look like a handy item to have around. :) :cool:

Dan Mages
12-04-2006, 12:32 AM
Well, we all know where Marketers may lead us to! :eek: So, if you would be so kind as to update us appropriately after some run time, that would be great, Dan! :) It does indeed look like a handy item to have around. :) :cool:
I will flog it mercilessly this week and let you know how it holds up...