PDA

View Full Version : A "Lathe" Question (Long)

James Aguanno
11-04-2003, 1:23 PM
Hello all,

I mostly lurk, but have posted once before.

I am in the process of deciding on a lathe upgrade, and my short list consists of just two (Nova 3K and PowerMatic 3520), but that may change if I can get some more info here (Vicmark line).

Here is where I am…

I currently use a very old shopsmith 10-ER, with a half horse motor. Even though there is quite a bit of play in the spindle, I have been able to produce some rather large nice bowls, but that is becoming more difficult by the minute. My goal is to eventually acquire a vacuum chuck and a bowl saving system of some sort, and I do prefer to make larger forms.

The reason for the short list is primarily price. My thoughts are, if I go with the Nova, that I would use the standard 1 horse AC motor with the step pulley system until I can upgrade the motor to a VFD drive system (probably from Dealers Electric). My concerns with this lathe are the obvious; I want to turn larger. I am concerned that I will want to upgrade again in a relatively short time, thus the PM 3520 (currently for $2200 and free shipping). The Nova decision would come down to a compromise on my part based on money.

I also have shop limitations. I am concerned that the PM will be too much of a footprint for my shop, and that is a call that I will have to make on my own. The Nova definitely could have a smaller footprint. With that said, I am willing to make do with a cramped shop until I can upgrade to a larger space.

As far as the cost goes, I can get the Nova for about $1000 with an hour and a half drive. The PM would be about $2300 (after taxes and lift gate charges). I would want to upgrade the motor on the Nova soon after I buy, so that would add another $385 or so and I would have to build a stand. I do not have much info on the Vicmark… I would want one in the 20-inch range, and probably a short bed with a VFD drive system. What can I expect to pay for that with shipping?

Does anyone know of any reviews of the PM? I am looking for something comprehensive. I have already read many on the Nova. Does anyone have comments on the Vicmark? Specifically pricing and customer service? I understand that Customer service is excellent for the Nova and the PM…

Please do not try to convince me to buy the new Jet 16” lathe…I am not considering this because If I do go with the Nova it is because of the price, not the size. I would step up to the PM for the extra couple hundred rather than settling for the Jet.

Thanks in advance for any info…Jamie

Bill Grumbine
11-04-2003, 1:37 PM
Hi Jamie

If I were to try and convince you to buy anything, it would be a Poolewood! :D But I will stick to the lathes you mention. I think you are on the right track. The Nova is a good lathe, but it is not in class with the Powermatic. I have owned a Nova 1500, the predecessor to the 3000, and while I did some good work on it, it had a tendency to flex with really big pieces.

I also spent an afternoon turning on the Powermatic at the shop of an acquaintance. It was a much heavier duty lathe than the Nova, but I don't know that it was that impressive. I think part of that was the floor on which the lathe was standing though. We were in an old barn and the floor had quite a bit of flex to it. I will go as far as to say that the Jet 16" lathe is at least equal to it in quality and perhaps laid out a bit better, but then it does not have the swing you want. I cannot comment on the large Vicmarc lathes as I have never turned on one. I do have a Vicmarc mini, and it is of very high quality, so much so that when I was contemplating my Poolewood, I would have also considered Vicmarc if there had been another source for it besides Craft Supplies at the time - but that is another story.

Whatever you decide, it would be a good idea to lay hands on the machine and spend some time on it first, if at all possible. Once you get into the $2000 + range on lathes, it is not so much a quality issue as much as it is a feature issue when it comes to making a decision.

Bill

Jim Becker
11-04-2003, 2:04 PM
Jamie, your short list is just fine and there are good arguments for either machine, as well as the Vicmarc. But here are my thoughts, for what they are worth...the paper they are printed on... :D

The NOVA is a decent lathe and a great many folks turn lots of nice things on them. It's a versatile machine, well built and it does have the advantage of a relatively small footprint (depending on the base you build for it) and 16" of swing over the bed. But you elude to what I suspect will be it's biggest negative for you...you'll want to move to something much heaver (for good turning characteristics with large blanks) and with true VS. In other words, I think you're going to run into the same problem I have with my lathe and that's growing out of it far too quickly.

The PM 3520A, on the other hand, will handle "out of the box" just about anything you'll probably throw at it for many years and frankly, I don't suspect it will take up much more room than the NOVA would with a decent bench and the almost necessary bed extension. (Even with limiting your turnings to bowls and vessels, you'll want/need at some point a little more bed length than the basic NOVA affords to support certain accessories for hollowing, etc.) At the price that Osolnik sells the PM 3520a, it's also a steal as compared to other machines with similar capability! If you want to look at one up close and personal, BobP, who is also a member of BWT, is in the Princeton/Skillman NJ area and I bet you could talk him into a visit to check out his PM.

I have a friend farther north in NJ that has the Vicmarc 300 (shortbed) and absolutely loves it. It's a great machine, but will add another grand to your decision. Bill makes a good observation about the Poolewood and they do have a nice short-bed version of that available now, too. But it's a financial step above the Vicmarc! For that reason, if you can swing it (sic), the PM may qualify as your "last lathe purchase" for a good long time.

Keep us posted on what you end up with!

Philip Duffy
11-04-2003, 4:15 PM
I love my 3520, I love my 3520! There are other lathes at higher prices, but none better. Go try them all then you will not be disappointed in your decision. Phil

Ted Harris
11-04-2003, 4:44 PM
Hello all,
I currently use a very old shopsmith 10-ER, with a half horse motor. Even though there is quite a bit of play in the spindle, I have been able to produce some rather large nice bowls, but that is becoming more difficult by the minute. My goal is to eventually acquire a vacuum chuck and a bowl saving system of some sort, and I do prefer to make larger forms.
Hello Jamie,
Why is it becoming more difficult? Are the bearings bad? Are the bearings fusing to the spindle? Is the play along the x-axis, or the y-axis? Why not just fix the shopsmith? Bearings are inexpensive. Worst case scenario is the machine operates properly.

James Aguanno
11-04-2003, 5:07 PM
Hello Jamie,
Why is it becoming more difficult? Are the bearings bad? Are the bearings fusing to the spindle? Is the play along the x-axis, or the y-axis? Why not just fix the shopsmith? Bearings are inexpensive. Worst case scenario is the machine operates properly.

First, let me mention that I only have the parts for this machine to make it function as a lathe, and when I upgrade, this machine will go.

It is more difficult because of the Bearings and the play is perpendicular to the spindle (I guess Y axis?). I know that I can replace them, but I would rather upgrade. The reasons are many, but I will list a few...

First, the tailstock is stationary, this is not terrible, but I think there is a reason that most lathes are built with the headstock stationary, and the tailstock mobile, although I think that with both being mobile, there is an advantage, as with the PM.

The tool rest is a hastle to move. You need to use an allen wrench, I know, I could change that, and most times the carriage sticks on the rails. I typically have to hit the headstock and tool carriage with a hammer to adjust and free.

I mentioned above that I really want to get into larger turnings. The shopsmith has about 14" of swing, which is not terrible, but the spindle is only 5/8 and the motor a half horse. I really want more swing and more power...

Another reason is the mass of the machine... the shopsmith is very light, and most of my turnings start as rough cut blanks (straight from the chainsaw). I now have a couple hundred pounds of sand to help, but I would prefer much more mass.....

thx for the reply...jamie

Dale Thompson
11-04-2003, 10:58 PM
James,

I'm not a pro but I do know that my PM 3520 will be the last lathe that I will ever need to purchase. :) It's a great machine and I've had absolutely no problems with it whatsoever. I've done pens, pencils and yo-yos on the small side and done 40" Ship's Wheel clocks on the large end. With the 3520, you can remove the tailstock, move the headstock to the end of the lathe and turn just about any diameter which you wish to turn. I've never done it but I would guess that the available power is all that you would need for just about anything. If you plan to turn a 6' blank, make sure that you turn the speed down a bit. 2800 should be just about right :eek: Just kidding!!! Anyway, I love the 3520. You will NEVER have to upgrade from that baby. Whatever, that's MY input.

Dale T.

mike malone
11-05-2003, 12:49 AM
Hello all,

I mostly lurk, but have posted once before.

Welcome Jamie
Without question...go with the Powermatic. You won't be sorry...at the very least if you ever want to sell it, there be a long line up of folks wanting to buy it.
BTW,...where can you buy them for $2200??
regards
mike

James Aguanno
11-05-2003, 7:26 AM
Welcome Jamie
BTW,...where can you buy them for $2200??
regards
mike

Mike,

Try here: http://www.osolnikmachinery.com/

I have heard that these people are very helpful. I gave them a call, and talked for about 20 minutes, and never felt rushed. Right now, I am leaning this way.