PDA

View Full Version : Whole house humidfier

Sean Hughes
11-30-2006, 3:40 PM
I was thinking about putting one of these untis in that you get at the borg and was wondering if anyone here has experience with them. Any pros or cons you have run into? someone once said that they sometimes can cause problems to your furnace due to excessive moisture/corrosion.

Thanks,
Sean

Al Willits
11-30-2006, 3:58 PM
Low humidity can cause major problems in homes, a whole house humidifier can cure these problems, Aprilaire is one I'd reccomend.
Rememeber the water pannels usually need to be replaced once a year if you go with one.

Haven't heard of any moisture problems with them though, leastwise if they're installed right.

Al

ps...I'm in reference for those of us luck enough to have winter and cold...

Ben Grunow
11-30-2006, 8:53 PM
I work with an HVAC company that does a lot of testing for companies liek Carrier and Trane and they only recommend the steam humidifiers for true control of humidity.

The problem is that they are expensive and require maintenance (filter for water). They must be installed downstream of the blower and need about 8 feet of straight duct before a turn or moisture can drop out of the air flow.

They aprilaire trickle type humidifiers work but do not add enough humidity to a house to solve expansion/contraction issues in wood. THe steam units have a humdistat that monitors humidity and allows adjustmentt (like thermostat).

Of course, I cant remember the unit that they recomend. And BTW, one humdifier will serve a whole house.

Ben

Russ Filtz
12-01-2006, 7:11 AM
I had an Aprilaire and it plugged up, must have been the water panel thing I didn't know about to replace. I just used a portable unit from then on.

John Daugherty
12-01-2006, 9:10 AM
What humidity level should one try and maintain in the house?

Karl Laustrup
12-01-2006, 9:28 AM
What humidity level should one try and maintain in the house?

I was told by the HVAC contractor that installed one in our system that 40-50% is ideal. However, that's as long as you don't start getting condensation on the inside of your windows. Our system is adjustable and it is set at 40% right now. So far all is good, but they showed me how to lower the humidity level if need be.

I must say it has made a huge difference from previous years when we just had warm dry air. And chapped lips.

Karl

Al Willits
12-01-2006, 9:39 AM
We also sell the trickle style humidifiers and here in Minn they usually work just fine, also a lot cheaper to buy and run than them steam ones.
We also do warrt work for Carrier, Honeywell, Ruud, and a dozen other manufacturs and we've had the best luck with the trickle style, having the customer change the water panel once a year will do wonders. :)

Correct humidity depends on temp, the 40-50% number gets throw out a lot and is probably a starting point, (remember I'm in reference to what works here in Minn) unfornately in colder temps that range of humidity can water condesation dripping off the windows, not good either.

The new humidifiers have a outside temp sensor that changes the inside humidity as temps vary, when they work, they do help.

Steam humidifers are good in extreme cases, other wise imho they just make more money for the company selling them, and cost you more in the purchace and operation...K.I.S.S I think..fwiw.

Al

Jim Becker
12-01-2006, 10:59 AM
I had an Aprilaire and it plugged up, must have been the water panel thing I didn't know about to replace. I just used a portable unit from then on.

I've been less than satisfied with the Aprilaire unit on our system, too...it works but is a maintenance headache.

Ken Garlock
12-01-2006, 12:30 PM
When I lived in Ohio, I installed a humidifier in the hot-air plenum of our gas furnace. It was an evaporative unit consisting of a water tray with multiple vertical "sponges". The water tray had a float valve to keep the tray full. It was simple to install, cut a hole in the plenum and mount, run a 1/4" copper line from the unit to the nearest cold water line and attach with a saddle valve. This was back in 1977, and as I recall, I also installed a humidistat in the plenum but don't ask who it interacted with the humidifier.:confused: (I passed the course and I am no longer responsible for it contents.)

I agree that 40% humidity is a good number to shoot for.:)

I got my unit for a local plumbing supply house.

Gary McKown
12-04-2006, 3:31 PM
Sean, ditto what Al said about replacing the panels, especially in West Chester where the mineral buildup is severe and actually eats up the aluminum in a year of use. Get the panels through the 'net for about half of what the local HVAC folks charge.

Otherwise, in 15 years the Aprilaire in our house has required no maintenance other than cleaning when the panel is replaced.

ken brueggestrass
12-04-2006, 4:04 PM
I installed an AprilAire last winter. Took a little longer to install than I expected and it helps to have a volt meter. Not all furnaces are the same and you have to find a low voltage lead on the inside of it. As far as mineral buildup, the unit I installed has a fair amount of run off while running which the instructions claim helps build up. I also ran a GFI to the unit and only used plastic tubing with a saddle valve to get water. I run my full tilt with no condensation on the windows. I planned to do so until I saw moisture, then back it off. Well worth the cost

Christopher Stahl
12-04-2006, 4:35 PM
I have also been less than satisfied with the Aprilaire, doesn't do a great job of raising humidity. :(

Fred Voorhees
12-04-2006, 6:09 PM
Sean, ditto what Al said about replacing the panels, especially in West Chester where the mineral buildup is severe and actually eats up the aluminum in a year of use. Get the panels through the 'net for about half of what the local HVAC folks charge.

Otherwise, in 15 years the Aprilaire in our house has required no maintenance other than cleaning when the panel is replaced.

I have found this to be true also. When I bought my home, there was an Aprilaire whole house unit installed and we got about fifteen to twenty more years service out of it before I renovated our laundry room last year and replaced the Aprilaire with a new unit, again from Aprilaire. We personally have not had any problems with it. And yes, with hard water, you will want to replace the panels as often as needed.

Al Willits
12-04-2006, 9:33 PM
I recommended Aprilaire as they have worked well in my experience, doesn't mean it's gonna work for all.
But in the 30+ years I've been in HVA/C seems 90+% of the time its either poor installation/incorrect size or maintenance.
Not sure why it didn't work for some here, but be interesting to see why.

Perchance the unit is maintained, but just won't keep up (undersized) see which water line is feeding them, if your feeding the unit with cold water switch over to the hot water line, this will increase its efficiency a bit.

Also, if you have a water softener, the panel may need to be changed more than once a year, depending on how hard the water is.

And..the Aprilaire and several others have a orifice in the water line that some times gets plugged, a thumb drill will clear them out, but try not to enlarge the hole, maybe try vinegar or one of the scale removers first.

Maybe some of this will help?
Ramble off....:D

Al

Ben Grunow
12-04-2006, 9:52 PM
I think the main difference is that the steam units are wired to turn the blower fan on to maintain a measured amount of humidity determined by a sensor where you live. The trickle type units only work when the heat runs and there is no sensor, just a setting on the unit that is, AFAIK, just a valve that allows more or less water to trickle. Not an accurate humidity metering device.

This is what I have been lead to believe by my HVAC friend (as a builder). The steam units are big $ and PITA for maintenance but they are the only humidifiers that really provide constant, accurate humidity control. If this is not the case please let me know (someone who has measured humidity with trickle type unit?). I will take it up with those who have made me think this way.

Thanks.

Ben

Dick Rowe
12-05-2006, 4:09 AM
When my house was new in 1990, the contractors installed a wheel type, whole house humidifier on the hot air plenum. It never really worked very well (either too much or too little humidity), and eventually rusted out the furnace.

When I replaced the furnace 2 years ago I had them install an AprilAire whole-house humidifier with the outdoor sensor thing. The installers put this one on the cold air return plenum.

The new unit works well on the first floor (35-40% humidty level, no moisture and/or ice on the windows), but I have a 2 story home with all the bedrooms on the second floor. I don't believe the unit is delivering the best results to the second floor (distance from furnace?).

In any event I am searching for a portable unit or two for the upstairs bedrooms so that we don't wake up every day feeling like dried out prunes.

Mike Lawler
12-05-2006, 8:40 AM
I have an Aprilaire installed in NH. No problems, and very happy with it.

1. Install an icemaker type filter on the water supply before the unit.

2. remember to set the humidity to the outside temperature. (Mine ahs a dial setting on the outside of the unit.

Tyler Howell
12-05-2006, 9:17 AM
What Al said!!!
Aprilaire:cool: !!!
You will save a whole lot of head aches with good cleaning & Prev. Maint.
One thing on the Aprilaire (DAMHIKT) Make sure the supply tube is properly placed. Much of the water can miss the screen if it's not.

Al Willits
12-05-2006, 10:30 AM
"""""""""""
The trickle type units only work when the heat runs and there is no sensor, just a setting on the unit that is, AFAIK, just a valve that allows more or less water to trickle. Not an accurate humidity metering device.
""""""""

Not so Ben, they come with a humidistat that regulates the humidity in the house, also the ones with the outside sensor will regulate the inside humidity per what the outside temp is.

Dick, remember that the humistat only see's what the humidity is at the stat, and if the humidity is ok there, the unit will shut down.
Maybe try running the fan in the on posistion for a bit, and raising the setting on the stat a bit, the humidifier should come on in the heat mode and no burner on.

Al

Ben Grunow
12-07-2006, 8:43 PM
Thanks Al. I have never seen a trickler with a himidistat. I would like a himidifier but not a steam unit as they are too much $ and maintenance.
Maybe I will go down that road now that I know.