PDA

View Full Version : How to do a "French Fit" ?

Tim Beauregard
11-30-2006, 2:19 PM
Greetings,

Not certain that this belongs in this forum, but I view it as a "finish detail."

I want to make some boxes which will store some hand tools and would like for the interior of the boxes to be form fitted to the shape of the tools. It SEEMS to me that I have seen an article in a magazine within the past few years discussing how to do this. It may have been custom fitting tools into drawers of a tool cabinet project.

Does anyone here have an idea on which magazine and when that may have been? I have many years of issues of 4 different magazines and have been working my way backward for a couple years... and have so far been unsuccessful in locating it.

Maybe one of you used that article to do one of your projects? If not, what about a book on the subject?

Thanks very much!
Tim B.
(tbeauregard@triad.rr.com)

Cliff Rohrabacher
11-30-2006, 2:46 PM
a French fit is simply making the box a "dedicated" box.
You custom taylor the construction appointments furniture etc., inside the box to hold securely some specific item such as a gun. It can apply to watches or anything really.

The French fit box is both a show case as well as a traveling crate holding, protecting, and displaying the item inside.