PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think of the MiniMax E16?

Cameron Reddy
11-30-2006, 1:15 PM
It's only $1600 or so, delivered.

It seems pretty advanced for the price. And it's made in Italy, along side the MM16.

STANDARD FEATURES
2.5 HP
Dual-beam column
Cast-iron wheels
Quick-change tongue-and-groove tires
Quick tilt table
Cast iron fence (easily adjustable for drift)
Euro-style roller bearing blade guides with universal head
Geared rack-and-pinion guidepost
Upper and lower doors open independently, with safety micro-switch
High-efficiency dust extraction, sealed port surrounding lower blade guides
Foot brake with adjustable micro-switch
Operator’s tool kit
Table size 15¾” X 19½”
Table tilting 0-45 degrees
Minimum/Maximum blade width 0.125" – 1.00"
Maximum cutting height 12”
Blade length 144"
Net weight 320 lbs.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Cliff Rohrabacher
11-30-2006, 2:57 PM
It's OK. You'll like it more than a grizzly

Jim O'Dell
11-30-2006, 3:25 PM
Cameron, I haven't actually used mine yet, just got power in the shop a couple weeks ago, still waiting for the 4" flex hose to complete the dust collection the the E16. I have tensioned a 3/4" blade and started it up. Very smooth!! I think I have a tracking issue with the bottom wheel, but haven't had a time to finish the process with MM to verify. They have been very helpful and in constant contact. I want to be in my shop when I talk to...now can't think of his name. Darn!
But note: this is not the same saw as the MM16. The frame is lighter, and the miter slot in the table is not the same depth, so normal accessories won't fit in it. But I think it is going to be more BS than I'll ever need. Wish I had better "in use" information for you. Maybe in the next month or two. Jim.

Cameron Reddy
11-30-2006, 4:54 PM
... and the miter slot in the table is not the same depth, so normal accessories won't fit in it. ... Jim.

Now why in the heck would they do that?

Bill Boehme
11-30-2006, 5:21 PM

Maybe it is a standard depth in Europe.

Bill

Todd Solomon
11-30-2006, 5:52 PM
Cameron,

It's probably a nice saw. Not much has been posted about the E16, though. If you think you can afford a few hundred dollars more (I've heard sales prices of around $2100 to $2300), I'd try to step up to the MM16 or the Agazzani. I've seen people get burned by buying a new model, I prefer to buy something that's had the kinks worked out in the marketplace. But MM is a good company that stands behind their machinery.

Todd

Cecil Arnold
11-30-2006, 8:09 PM
The E-16 has been around for some time now, it's just that MM hasn't promoted them much--even left it off their web page for some time.

Todd Solomon
11-30-2006, 8:40 PM
The E-16 has been around for some time now, it's just that MM hasn't promoted them much--even left it off their web page for some time.

People ask about the E16 from time to time on the MM user's goup, but very few responses are given. Lots of responses on MM16s on up, just not a lot of posts on the E16. So it's kind of hard to know where the E16 stands on quality and performance.

Todd

Jim Becker
11-30-2006, 8:44 PM
The E16 is a reasonably nice saw. Cecil is correct that it didn't get any real exposure other than at shows until recently, but the new Mini Max USA website does have it included. (edited out incorrect information - JB)This saw is different in that it's not made by Centauro like the MM16, MM20, etc., nor Mini Max like the S45. I don't recall the source. It does represent a value entry point machine for someone who wants Mini Max and can't budget the beefier saws. My impression is that the E16 vs the MM16 is kinda like the Laguna LT-16 vs the LT16HD. I do tend to agree with Todd...if you can increase your budget, even if that means an extra month or three delay, you'll get a lot more machine. But if not, the E16 could be a nice addition to your shop.

Jim O'Dell
11-30-2006, 8:50 PM

I don't know, Cameron. It is the only bad thing I have even read about the E16. And if it was a standard in Europe, Bill, I'd think the other MM saws would be the same.
I just posted to your message on the other forum. I knew I had posted a response to you, but when I saw the other thread, I thought it was there that I had tried to post while at work, and the Web Sense gremlins had tossed it out in the snow! (The brain is a terrible thing to waste ) I remember who I talked to at MM...our very own Sam Blasco. (More senior moments every day.) Hopefully I can take off a couple hours early tomorrow and get in the shop and call Sam to talk through my possible lower wheel tracking problems. Jim.

Kurt Loup
12-01-2006, 9:11 AM
This saw is different in that it's not made by Centauro like the MM16, MM20, etc., nor Mini Max like the S45. I don't recall the source.

In the picture below, you can see the Centauro sticker above the upper blade tracking adjustment knob on my E16.

Kurt

http://www.loup-garou.net/sitebuilder/images/saw-449x581.jpg

Jim O'Dell
12-01-2006, 9:17 AM
That's true, it does say Centauro. I thought that's why they made the E16 and got rid of the S16, so it was in house with the rest of the equipment, instead of made by Meber like the S16 was. Jim.

Jim Becker
12-01-2006, 10:08 AM
I stand corrected!! I guess I confused it with an earlier model. I don't remember that sticker from the one I saw "a long time ago"....my apologies for posting incorrect information. :(

Dean Ruttan
01-20-2007, 3:47 PM
I'm new to the forum, first posting.

I'm shopping for a bandsaw right now and I'm starting to suffer from analysis paralysis. I've read so many articles, reviews and posting on different woodworking forums. I've pretty much weeded out the bandsaws from Taiwan and China based on all the major weaknesses, frame stiffness, guides and power. After many grains of salt I’m now looking at MiniMax and Laguna. Everyone seems to be selling up to the MM16 or the LT16HD. Would I like one of those two machines… absolutely but I’m a home shop guy and I’m into woodworking as a hobby. Those machines are overkill for what I’m going to do. For most home shop guys a decent 14” bandsaw will handle 99% of everything you’ll ever want to do. The kicker as everyone on these forums points out is resawing. One of the biggest requirements I have on my list is resaw capability and quality of resawing. I’m a bit of a perfectionist so I’m looking for something in the MiniMax E16 or Laguna LT6 range that will resaw with ease and quality. I have some questions directed and specific individuals based on what I’ve read of your experience and based on what saws you have. I look forward to seeing your replies.

Jim O’Dell – Looking at the trouble you had with the upper rack and pinion and the possible lower wheel tracking problem I worry that for a saw of this price and quality I wouldn’t think there should be problems like this. Did you get all the problems sorted out and was there an actual lower wheel tracking problem? Have you tried resawing yet and how did that go?

Kurt Loup – I’d really love to hear how you like your saw and if you’ve had any problems. How well does it resaw?

Dean

Jim O'Dell
01-20-2007, 9:45 PM
Dean, the problems I faced with the upper rack I consider to be part of the alignment/setup of a new machine. All I did was find out what size shims (washers) needed to go where. No big deal, and taught me how the machine is built in case a problem does come up. I thought of another way to fix the problem that might be better, but didn't have any of the UHMW (do I have the initials right?) tape to use on it. Would have been tough to do, though.
Yes I do have an alignment issue with my lower wheel. Sam Blasco walked me through how to correct it. Again, part of the set up. I haven't performed it yet. Been sick the last 2 weekends, and have been doing the insulation on the shop before that. Still working on the vapor barrier, then need to start installing the wall and ceiling, so machines have been on the back burner, some more. I mean I've had this thing for a year and a half already! :eek: I just got the 4" flex hose I ordered in October (:eek: ) the first of this month. I've cut a piece to length to hook up the E16 to the cyclone, but haven't done it yet. I did make some short cuts in some thin material out of red oak. But no resawing yet. I did try the 1/4" blade one night...won't stay on the lower wheel. It needs to tilt away at the top and possibly out a hair from the back. I'll tilt and retry before I try to move the wheel out.
It is a powerful BS! Very smooth. I'd do it again. Yes I'd rather have the MM16 also, but doubt I'll ever need it's capabilities.
And I bet the saw that Jim Becker is remembering was the S16 that was made by Meber. It was sold by Laguna before MM picked it up. They had that one at the Woodworking show 2 years ago. Very similar to the E16 in make up and capability, just different manufacturer, with the E16 made in house with the other MM products.
Again the only and I mean only question I have on the E16 is the miter slot. But then, I also question how much it gets used anyway?! Jim.

Pete Brown
01-20-2007, 9:55 PM
Again the only and I mean only question I have on the E16 is the miter slot. But then, I also question how much it gets used anyway?! Jim.

FWIW, I have never used the miter slot on my MM16. It's a little far away for most featherboards, and the miter gauge is useless unless you plan to use your bandsaw to do short crosscuts.

I have resawn, ripped (great when that edge isn't even close to straight), cut curves and cut tenons all on my mm16. It's a beautiful machine.

Dean Ruttan
01-21-2007, 1:50 AM
Thanks very much for the reply Jim. You've set my mind at ease on the E16. Just got back from a friend's birthday supper and wish I'd had the E16 to cut the steak I had. :eek:

I actually ran out to the local tool store this afternoon and had a more in depth look at the General International 90-240. It still looks like a nice saw for the money but I know it just doesn't have the same power. The shipping on a MiniMax or Laguna are still making me waver a little. I'm really hoping someone out there has done some resawing on their E16.

Dean

Jim Becker
01-21-2007, 10:50 AM
Dean, if you are near to a location where MM or L are participating in a show, you can sometimes take delivery at the show and save a few dollars off the shipping cost. I did that for both my MM16 and FS350 J/P. I'd like to do that for the S315WS slider, but can't wait until March... ;) ...so I'll pay the $500. (Which is only to the terminal...I still need to trailer it to my shop and unload, etc.)

Pete Brown
01-21-2007, 11:24 AM
The shipping on a MiniMax or Laguna are still making me waver a little. I'm really hoping someone out there has done some resawing on their E16.

I pre-arranged to pick up my MM16 at the woodworking show in Baltimore. We loaded it into my father-in-law's pick, on its back. No problem at all. I made the arrangements well ahead of time, put down a deposit and had one set aside for me. I believe it was Dean who helped me load it up.

I saved money for buying a show special (semi-used), got the moderately useful mobility kit, paid nothing for shipping except lunch for my FIL, and got a machine that was already cleaned up and set up. The couple leveling bolts that were missing from it were promptly shipped to me at no charge, along with a few free blades.

You have to be willing to accept a few scratches or marks when you buy a show special, but it can be worth it.

Check the schedule for your area to see if there is a Woodworking show coming up. If so, ask MiniMax if they can bring an E-16. If they weren't planning on bringing it anyway, you might end up paying $100 for the shipping, but that is better than $500 plus the aggravation of the terminal.

The E16 (from photos on the MM site) looks like a lighter-weight MM16. The wheels are lighter (but still beefier than many competing models), the motor is a bit smaller (but still larger than many competing models). Overall it looks like they just scaled down many of the castings and metal. Compared to a MM16, it looks light. Compared to most any other saw on the market and it looks better than those saws. It uses similar concepts (micro switches on doors, a good foot brake, rack and pinion adjusment etc.) I think you'll be pleased.

From the photo, it looks like the trunion is cast too, which is nice. The resaw height is only 1" less than my old MM16 (which also has a smaller motor that the current one, 3.5hp, IIRC)

In addition, it looks like dust collection on the E16 will be much better than that on the current (or my verson of the) MM16. There isn't as much open space below the table. That alone is a huge plus.

One word of caution. Never trust any manufacturer's max width blade claims. The ability to tension a 1" blade doesn't mean that you'll find a 1" blade that will work well. For example, my MM16 will do something like a 1 1/4" blade. The widest blade I can use on it is a specially-formulated 1" Lenox carbide blade that will eventually fatigue and crack due to the small wheel diameter. I did use it for some heavy-duty resawing and it was great. The 5/8" Woodslicer was just as good, but much cheaper. Unfortunately it dulled quicker, but at the price, you could get a bunch of them

The 17" and 21" Bridgewood saws look good too, but I have no experience with any of their products.

Pete

John Bailey
01-21-2007, 1:25 PM
If I recall, the DVD that MM sends out has a section where the E16 is used to resaw. It worked very well. You might want to give MM a call and get the DVD.

John

Dean Ruttan
01-21-2007, 3:14 PM
Thanks everyone for help and advice.

I'm from Canada and MiniMax and Laguna don't come to any of the woodworking shows in Canada. That is a great idea though. There's not a lot of selection from the local distributors, mostly Delta, General, General International and a few no name brands that are lower end items from Taiwan and China. There is a MiniMax distributor 4 hours south of me but they only have the S45 (I think the E16 looks better) and the S400P which appears to be the same as the MM16 from MiniMax USA. Nobody up here deals on price and I know one guy who paid $2600 CDN for an S400P. I contacted MiniMax USA and they'll ship to me here in Canada. The E16 shipping should be less than the MM16 mostly because of the weight difference. They recently shipped an MM16 to someone very close to where I am in Canada and the shipping was $575 US. Whew :eek: .

MiniMax has a deal on till the end of January on the E16 at $1395 including the mobility kit, Miter Guage and 2 blades. Even with the exchange rate comparing to the Bandsaws available locally that's a great deal in my mind. It's just the shipping and the distance from the distributor that I'm waivering on.

Dean