PDA

View Full Version : Long-Lasting Shop Air Freshener

Roger Bell
11-30-2006, 12:16 PM
We felled a few Alaska Yellow Cedar for a ski-trail project here in Western Oregon. Mostly smaller stuff (12-18" DBH) on a somewhat remote site. I was able to slice up and pack out half dozen bowl blanks from the larger butts. We always want to at least try out some new wood, don't we? It turns quite well compared to the common Western Red we have around here....which I, quite frankly, don't particularly like to turn.

About a month ago, I rough-turned a couple of bowl blanks. This was just about the juiciest and most "aromatic" stuff I have ever encountered. At the end of the bowl session, I had to change clothes and shower because I was really soaked and quite stinky. I failed to wash my hair and I still reeked from the oil that must have been in my hair. The next day, and for about three weeks afterward, it smelled like the entire shop had been immersed in a bucket of Pine-Sol. It was really was strong enough to be unpleasant...like sticking your nose in the bottle of Pine-Sol. The smell has started to dissipate after a month and it now it is starting to smell pretty good.

Does "Good Housekeeping" pay for "Reader's Tips"?

Bill Boehme
11-30-2006, 5:04 PM
Maybe if you turned some slightly spalted sycamore the two odors would cancel each other out.

Bill

Steve Knowlton
11-30-2006, 7:05 PM
Roger, Turn some Myrtlewood, Maybe that would tone down the smell.

John Hart
11-30-2006, 8:54 PM
Don't suppose you're having much of a moth problem these days eh?? ;) :)

Roger Bell
12-01-2006, 11:09 AM
Thx Steve....I have some myrtle that I will chuck up and spin..........

Pat Doble
12-01-2006, 10:49 PM
I wonder if it would hide the kerosene smell I'll be forced to live with for the next few months of turning in the garage.