PDA

View Full Version : Why so many Unisaw models with different prices?

Brian Elfert
11-30-2006, 11:45 AM
Why the heck the Delta have so darn many models of the Unisaw with prices all over the board? They have models from under $1300 (No table extension) to close to $2000 for a 3 HP model.

Are the cheaper models that look like the older Unisaws not made in the USA these days? The 36-730, 36-731, and 36-732 are the models I'm talking about.

I'm researching prices because I'm thinking about selling my 1999 model Unisaw that has barely been used. I am going to use new prices to help set my sale price. My plan would be to sell the Unisaw and buy a new saw in a year or two after I move and get settled in a new shop.

Brian Elfert

Eddie Darby
11-30-2006, 12:04 PM
Which also begs the question, Why are there so many running shoes to choose from?
The more lines of products you offer to the public, the less chance the opposition have of taking over the market place with just one product.

Greg Sznajdruk
11-30-2006, 12:05 PM
Used saws are like used cars. You take a substantial hit selling a like new saw. Unless your Unisaw can't do what you expect from a cabinet saw you will be miles ahead keeping the saw. Cost of new saw has little to do with re-sale. Check the local buy and sell to establish what your saw may be worth in your area. I suspect you will be disappointed.

Greg

Allen Bookout
11-30-2006, 12:29 PM
Unless your Unisaw can't do what you expect from a cabinet saw you will be miles ahead keeping the saw.

Greg

I totally agree. Keep that saw if you can. Especially if it has a "Proudly Made In The USA" sticker on it. None of the Unis, that I know of, have enough parts made in the USA to qualify any more.

Brian Elfert
11-30-2006, 12:40 PM
Used saws are like used cars. You take a substantial hit selling a like new saw. Unless your Unisaw can't do what you expect from a cabinet saw you will be miles ahead keeping the saw. Cost of new saw has little to do with re-sale. Check the local buy and sell to establish what your saw may be worth in your area. I suspect you will be disappointed.

The cost of a new saw has something to do with pricing on a used one. I certainly can't sell a used one for the same or close to the price of a new one.

The last time I looked at used Unisaw pricing they were going for $1250 to $1350 for newer models not run into the ground. No way I could sell for that much these days if new ones sell for under $1400. Mine is an American made one, but nobody is going to care about that.

It will cost me $150 to $200 to hire someone to move the saw out of the basement plus I have to store it for up to a year during a move. If I sell it, the new owner will need to get it out of the basement plus I don't pay to store it. Plus, I could use the money to fund my move, but could get by without the money.

It looks like I might not be able to sell for enough to really make it worthwhile anyhow.

Brian Elfert

John Miliunas
11-30-2006, 1:05 PM
OR, price it high, trying to sell the fact that it's "like new" AND yes, the "Made in USA" is meaningful to many! :) Basically, what I'm saying is to put it out on Craigslist or similar free classifieds with a "higher than average" used price. If someone values the USA sticker and is happy w/the condition of the saw and is still able to save a few bucks, he/she may go for it. If it doesn't sell at the price you want then, no biggie, either. You'll still have a good saw and it will not have cost you anything to try. :) :cool:

chris fox
11-30-2006, 1:24 PM
What is a unisaw? I know cabinent saws left/right tilt, panel saws and contractors saw(whihc I own). Is it a type of hybrid cabinent saw?

Brian Elfert
11-30-2006, 1:44 PM
Unisaw is Delta's brand name for their cabinet saw.

The Unisaw and the PM66 were for years the two top cabinet saws until all the new saws of recent years. The Unisaw used to be strictly made in the USA, but no longer.

I think these days Delta may have another line of cabinet saws that is imported and does not have the Unisaw name.

Brian Elfert

Allen Bookout
11-30-2006, 1:47 PM
What is a unisaw? I know cabinent saws left/right tilt, panel saws and contractors saw(whihc I own). Is it a type of hybrid cabinent saw?
Do a Google search for Delta Unisaw and you will get more information than any of us can give in a short statement.

Sorry Brian!!!! Looks like that I steped on your feet. I was writing my response when you posted.

Allen

chris fox
11-30-2006, 2:05 PM
Thanks Brian. another question to scratch off the list!

Cliff Rohrabacher
11-30-2006, 2:55 PM
Why does Ford have so many cars and all on the same frame?

They want to sell you something.
So they put out as much as posible hoping you'll bite.

Jim Becker
11-30-2006, 4:29 PM
Unisaw is Delta's brand name for their cabinet saw.
True, but...they now sell some virtually identical models that are made overseas and do not carry the UniSaw branding. They do feature slightly lower pricing and for many folks, they likely wouldn't notice the difference. Frankly, there are a lot of components on the US assembled machines that likely are not US manufactured. Please note I am not making these comments in a negative way...'just trying to clarify some of the "diversity" in the line.

Allen Bookout
11-30-2006, 6:28 PM
Frankly, there are a lot of components on the US assembled machines that likely are not US manufactured.

I do not believe that there are any current models of the Delta Unisaw that have enough of the components manufactured in the USA to legally advertise that they are "Proudly Made in the USA".