PDA

View Full Version : Re-beveling the bevel edge chisel

Matthew Springer
11-04-2003, 1:04 PM
Hi all,
I was watching the Jim Kingshott DT video yesterday (yeah Cadmium!) That guy is seriously funny. And he has some incredibly sharp tools.

Anyway, he mentioned that you could grind off the side bevel on your bevel edge chisel to fit in the DT tail part, so you can clean all the way to the edges. I must admit, my nice new chisels have some issues when paring tails.

Well, I've got this shiny new set of 2 cherries with which I've been trimming out drawers and I have to admit, they don't fit in the DT corners. The side edges are just too thick.

So what say you all? Is it a good idea to stone off a little on the side bevels to get them to pare better in the tails? Or should I just save up for those nice blue steel japanese DT chisels Joel sells? Both?

-Matthew

Tom Scott
11-04-2003, 1:16 PM
Boy, I'd have a hard time taking a grinder to my new 2-Cherries. Buying one specialized dovetail chisel is an option...chop out the waste with your bench chisels and then clean out corners with the DT chisel. Or (this is what I plan to do), get an older chisel that you can pick up for little $$$ and grind that one as your special clean-out chisel.

Tom

Eric Sanford
11-04-2003, 4:31 PM
I'd also be a bit hesitant to slap a new 2 Cherries on the grinder :eek: . I have a pair of Japanese DT chisels, these are made with triangular top bevels just for this purpose. I also picked up a pair of 3/8 Marples Blue chips that I am going to grind into skew chisels for DT corners and other tight spots. If you really want to grind the bevels on a chisel, you might try one of these and save a little money. Since it is only paring, they should hold a sharp edge well enough and you haven't modified your more expensive chisels.

Just a thought!
Eric