PDA

View Full Version : Wood Mag. Cutting Board Question

Ron Robinson
11-30-2006, 10:37 AM
For those of you who have made these. I have the first glue-up complete and planed to 5/8". Now I have a board 35" long X 11 1/2" wide that I need to crosscut into equal 1 1/4" strips. If I use my miter gauge with a sacrificial fence I'll be good for a while, but doesn't the board become too narrow to use this method after several strips are cut? Should I switch to a rip? Should I use some kind of backer board or support? Any help, as always, is greatly appreciated.

Ron Robinson

Steve Dewey
11-30-2006, 10:47 AM
Yup - switch to using your rip fence once you can no longer support the glue up on the miter guage. Take your time setting it such that you get the same size strips - will save you time sanding - end grain is really tough to sand.

(Stupid reminder) Keep the crosscut blade in because the wood is being crosscut even though you are using the rip fence:rolleyes:

A backer board will help minimize tearout, although if you are going to radius the edges after final glue up, minor tearout won't hurt you.

Matt Guyrd
11-30-2006, 4:26 PM
Ron...if possible, you should consider making (assuming you don't have one) a simple crosscut sled. I made my first sled because of the cutting boards I started making.

The sled provides the support to eliminate tear out. You can clamp a small block of wood to the fence for a stop so you get the same size cuts every time, and, using a sled will produce much more accurate cuts than a miter gauge.

Good luck.

Matt

Robert Waddell
11-30-2006, 7:43 PM
Ditto on the crosscut sled. Much superior result with none of the fuss of using a miter gauge and then switching to the fence.
Rob

Mike Heidrick
12-01-2006, 1:12 AM
Anyone have a link to the awesome cutting board tutorial I saw on SMC?

jonathan snyder
12-01-2006, 1:34 AM
Mike,

Is this what you are looking for?

http://workingwoods.com/workingwoods/3-D_Board_Tutorial.htm

Jonathan

Hans Braul
12-01-2006, 7:05 AM
Mike,

Is this what you are looking for?

http://workingwoods.com/workingwoods/3-D_Board_Tutorial.htm

Jonathan

I'd think this board is asking for trouble. Glueing end grain can't possibly be strong enough to last? I certainly wouldn't use it for a cutting board.

Regards
Hans

John Daugherty
12-01-2006, 9:43 AM
I made one of the boards in the Wood article. I am in the process of making a couple more.

Here's the link

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=46448

I used my miter gage with a board attached to the gage and a stop attached to the board so that each piece would be of the same width. I was able to cut all the strips using this method. Like Steve said sanding end grain is a bear. Make sure you get your pieces as close a possible when you glue it up. I let a couple move:o .

Mark Patoka
12-01-2006, 10:06 AM
I'd think this board is asking for trouble. Glueing end grain can't possibly be strong enough to last? I certainly wouldn't use it for a cutting board.

I think in Vaughn's tutorial he mentions he used biscuits during the second glue up phase to provide extra stability. I made a similar one a couple years ago and it's been holding up well. The wife won't use it for cutting but gets handled quite a bit to set pots, etc on.