PDA

View Full Version : Finally using new lathe (pics)

don romans
11-30-2006, 2:31 AM
It's been a few months since my lathe arrived, just now getting to work with it! Bummer having to work out of town for six months, no time for fun. The PM lathe is a real joy to work with.

I'm building a prototype Queen Anne chair out of poplar to work out the kinks and get the templates just right. After the prototype is done and I'm satisfied with it I plan on building a set of six more out of cherry for our dining room. Should be a lot of fun. The prototype will be painted and used as my shop's office chair.

don

John Hart
11-30-2006, 7:53 AM
Oh man! I like those legs!!! Must steal your design.:) ;)

Mark Pruitt
11-30-2006, 8:20 AM
It's been a few months since my lathe arrived, just now getting to work with it! Bummer having to work out of town for six months, no time for fun.
Don't know how you did it! I would have gone nuts!

Great looking Queen Anne prototype so far. Looking forward to seeing the finished product. You could (hint) even do a tutorial!:)

Steve Schlumpf
11-30-2006, 9:06 AM
Man! If you are starting off with Queen Anne legs - can't wait to see what's next. I second Mark's suggestion of a tutorial! Oh yeah, great looking lathe!

Brian McInturff
11-30-2006, 10:05 AM
Wow, very impressive. I don't think I would've even thought of doing those on the lathe. I probably would have junked some wood on the bandsaw trying and then tossed them in the fire. You've got the knack, that's for sure. Tutorial Please!

Jim Becker
11-30-2006, 10:35 AM
Beautiful work, Dan. I can see you're going to enjoy having a great lathe in your shop!

don romans
11-30-2006, 12:07 PM
Oh man! I like those legs!!! Must steal your design.:) ;) It isn't my design, I am using Norman Vandal's book "Queen Anne Furniture-History, Design, and Construction" as guide for construction and technique. It is a very good book; my wife gave it to me as a Christmas gift fifteen years ago. I scanned the scaled drawings (the open book in the photo) from the book, scaled up to full size in Illustrator and printed them out with a 24" plotter. After I finish the prototype, I will make available a full sized set of template drawings to anyone who would like them. No charge of course, ©'d material! You will have to buy the book though.

It should be a fun project!

don

Cecil Arnold
11-30-2006, 12:29 PM
Don, welcome to the Mustard club, you've gotta love it.

Jim Ketron
12-08-2006, 12:43 AM
Nice Job!
Now get busy getting that PM dirty!

don romans
12-19-2006, 1:16 AM
Trying to get it done between working hours. I'm seriously considering buying a Leigh FMT Tenon & Mortise jig for the production of the final six (or more) chairs. Compound angle mortise & tenon joints tend to become tedious after a while...