PDA

View Full Version : Help with Christmas idea please

Sean J Deakin
11-29-2006, 11:22 PM
Hi all, and thanks to those who offered advice on Canadian laser reps.
I ended up purchasing a CAMTech L5 25watt, lots to learn but I am very happy with it.
I am looking for a raster image of a tall ship. My Father who passed away about 5 years ago was a sailor and my Mom loves the tall ships. I would like to raster a granite tile for her & am struggling to find a decent picture. the ones available on the internet are all 72 dpi and do not produce very nice results. I am finding 300 dpi seems to work best with photos. I don't even necessarily need a photo. Even a raster image like the ship on the epilog sample would be great. Any suggestions on where to look?

Thanks !

Jim A. Walters
11-29-2006, 11:29 PM
I went to the US Coast Guard site http://cgvi.uscg.mil/

If you click the "LOGON" link and use uscg for the user name and password, you can search for "tall ships". Many pages of hits.

Sean J Deakin
12-01-2006, 1:04 AM
Thanks for the link suggestion Jim.
Lots of hits for tall ships, and a few pics - may be able to use one.

Jeff Chumbley
12-01-2006, 11:46 AM
I can't remember where I got this file but you can delete the text and use this ship

Jeff

Sean J Deakin
12-02-2006, 2:41 AM
Great Jeff, Thanks - I appreciate the file.

Luke Phillips
12-02-2006, 11:12 AM
Another source for some photos - Google search for Tall Ships under Goole images - there may be a suitable .jpg that can be converted for your use. I've got a Dover CD with some ship images - I'll take a look and send you the file.
Cheers!
Luke
A Stone Canvas
White Post, VA

Bill Cunningham
12-02-2006, 9:23 PM
When looking for images on google, I usually have success when using advanced search, large images, black and white. This eliminates the .jpgs, because by default a .jpg is a lossy colour file.. even if the colour is black and white, it's still a 24 bit file, and choosing black and white, large, usually results in a 2 bit fie, that will vector fairly well. worse comes to worse, a large .jpg will do if theres nothing else..

Linda Forte
12-03-2006, 12:50 PM
istockphoto.com has a good selection of high res artwork for $1 TO $5 -- I saw a few nice images under "tall ship" search words.

Linda

Luke Phillips
12-08-2006, 8:28 PM
Mark - attached is a .cdr file - you might have already gotten this - I also have some more files I can send but they're too large to post here - send me a private msg with your email address and I'll send them on to you.
Cheers!