PDA

View Full Version : CA on pens problem!!!

Christopher Hunter
11-29-2006, 11:04 PM
I used some CA on some pens the other day for the first time and tried a couple of methods that I read a few weeks ago and I was not happy with the results....
I tried putting on thin then thick and vice versa and tired MS first and tried DNA first on one and still the same results...
i tried turning at high speed and low and tried paper towel and wax paper and etc.. etc.. etc.. tried on a few different types of wood even
maybe some of you can help !!!
After the first coat I noticed a lot of blotching where some parts were shinny and others were very dull...
after a couple more coats between sanding the blotchyness was still there

have any of you had this happen -- and if so, how did you correct it ?
any help would be great ...!
thanks
--Chris

Stephen Hibbs
11-30-2006, 12:03 AM
Chris,
I have that same problem, and so I only use thin ca. I apply a very small drop to a piece of paper towl folded to about 1/2 cm across, and quickly rub it onto the pen at high speed. I do this for like 10 coats, micro meshing between some, and it comes out quite nicely.

Gary DeWitt
11-30-2006, 1:48 AM
At Steven Russell's suggestion, I used polyester batting in a small square to apply the CA, it worked well to make the finish uniform. You can get batting from any fabric store, it's used to cover foam rubber when making pillows. Heck, your wife might have some lying around, that's where I got mine.
On another thread, bottle stoppers I think, they're currently discussing CA finishes over BLO, or Boiled Linseed Oil, sounds like it works better than just CA over raw wood but I havn't tried it.

Randy Meijer
11-30-2006, 2:12 AM
I've never heard of DNA being used with a CA finish. I suspect that is a big part of your problem.

Mike Vickery
11-30-2006, 2:59 AM
dna over wet ca will usually turn it whiteish.
It sounds to me like you either cleaned the blank with DNA before applying your CA and did not let the DNA dry. Your DNA may have been older and picked up a signifigant amount of moisture from the air. Or you applyed BLO to the blank and did not let it dry before applying the CA.

What you are describeing often happens when their is moisture on the surface or in the blank.

Bob Noles
11-30-2006, 6:42 AM
Chris,

Mike is right on the money with the DNA. Leave it out of the equasion for better and more consistant results. Look up Russ Fairfield's site and watch his mini video sample of using the CA/BLO method. I have had nothing but excellent results following his technique. If you have trouble finding the video, send me a PM and I'll give you a link.

RichMagnone
11-30-2006, 6:52 AM
Look at the ca as a finish video by Russ Fairfield.

The video is hosted on another forum's site, so all apologies if this violates the TOS

Yup, it did. Sorry Rich. Nor is it fair to take bandwidth from another forum for our use.

Pretty sure this is the video (http://www.woodturnerruss.com/Video.html#anchor_180) you are referring to.
(http://www.penmakersguild.com/video/fairfield2.wmv)

Daniel Heine
11-30-2006, 10:42 AM
Hello,

The method I use for applying the CA finish is as follows:

1. After sanding, clean blank with a few drops of DNA on a paper towel.
2. Apply TRipoli to blank while it is spinning on the lathe, and wipe off with clean, soft, cotton rag - an old t-shirt is perfect.
3. Repeat above with white diamond.
4. Take a clean paper towel, fold six ways, and apply three drops of BLO (boiled linseed oil) on the paper towel and wipe this over the pen blank.
5. Hold the paper towel in front of the blank at the bottom, and drip some medium thickness CA onto the paper towel while moving from side to side. Drip the CA until the entire blank is covered, then do not add any more CA. Continue to move the paper towel back and forth over the blank until you smell a very strong odor, and/or eyes begin to burn a bit. The CA is now hard and cured.
6. Repeat setp 5 two or three more times.
7. Apply carnuba was or friction polish to blank, and assemble.

Since I started using this method, my pens are smooth as silk to the touch, and shine very bright.

Good Luck,
Dan Heine

Ron Sardo
11-30-2006, 11:12 AM
With all due respect, I would like to point out a few problems that may occur.

1. After sanding, clean blank with a few drops of DNA on a paper towel.

DNA contain water, which can raise the grain and cause problems with your finish if the DNA has not dried completely, you would be better off blowing off the dust.

2. Apply TRipoli to blank while it is spinning on the lathe, and wipe off with clean, soft, cotton rag - an old t-shirt is perfect.
3. Repeat above with white diamond.
I wouldn't use tripoli or white diamond on bare wood. If you are turning a species of wood that is open grain, some of the polish may become embedded in the grain. White diamond can be tough to remove. DAMHIKT. Instead, use a piece of brown paper bag to burnish the wood.

Be careful!
Using an old t-shirt on spinning wood can be dangerous, especially if the rag is wrapped around your finger. Please use a paper towel.