PDA

View Full Version : Door Finishing Question

Dave Avery
02-25-2003, 10:30 PM
All,

We have pine 6-panel doors that are currently stained and protected with a tung oil and varnish mix. We're considering painting them white and need opinions as to surface preparation prior to painting, the need for primer (or not), and recommendations regarding what type of paint (assume oil based?). Thanks.... Dave in East Hampton CT.

Todd Burch
02-25-2003, 11:23 PM
Yes, you need a primer. Think of primer as the glue that hold the paint (pigment) on.

Scuff sand the current finish with 220 to get all the glossy surfaces dull and give the primer something to bite on to.

The oil based or epoxy primers are the best. A good oil based paint will last many years.

Todd.

Gordon Sampson
02-26-2003, 8:31 AM
Dave,

Are these interior or exterior doors? If they're interior, I'd sand the doors to provide a surface that will accept a new coat of finish. I would also prime them first with a good water-based primer (I really don't think oil-based will benefit you for interior use). After they're primed, I'd go with a good water-based exterior semi-gloss or gloss, which ever is your preference.

If the doors are exterior, I would use an oil-based primer and finish coat(s).

Gordon

Phil Phelps
02-26-2003, 10:17 AM
Interior pine raised panel doors. First I wouldn't even consider spraying unless I had an HVLP or an airless. The Wagner airless will even do a good job on small projects. And, it would be wonderful to have a spray booth. Here is the way I begin. Clean and sand. Pin nail the panels if they are floating panels. I run a fine bead of caulk around the panels and wipe clean with a damp cloth. (No caulk and that tiny gap between the panel and style will appear black when painted.) If you have a spray gun, seal with Bin pigmented shellac. It will probably take two coats, but, it dries fast. Use 220 to sand between coats. Prime with oil base, one coat. If you don't seal with Bin, start with alkyd primer. Then finish with a minimum of two coats of your finish paint. I use oil base paints on wood work because of their duribility. Also, you will need an airless to do a "pro job" with latex enamels. Otherwise you'll have to water latex down with any other method of spraying. No spray equipment and it's an enamel roller cover and a china bristle brush. Slow, but effective. Yes, drying time is longer and, over time, alkyd whites will yellow from their original white. However, the only latex enamel that is close to the durability of alkyd, is a high gloss finish. Not pretty. I never use an alkyd paint, except primer, on the exterior. That is where latex excels. These area the basics. A lot more can be said and other methods can apply. Please visit a real paint store for your products and futher advice. The dollar a gallon extra you'll pay is twenty times worth the professional attention you'll recieve. Hope I've helped. Good luck. And, now you know why, woodworkers hate to paint. :p

Bob Boake
02-26-2003, 11:13 AM
Spot on with the primer and scuffing the doors with x fine sandpaper. Retailers that sell paint will tell you that water based paints have made tremendous strides in terms of durability and in most cases match the wear charactersitics of oil base products. the one major advantage of oil base is............appearance. Oil base paints flow better when brushed on for a glassy smooth top coat ( especially the high end s-w and benj moore type products) while water based retain brush marks. You won't see the difference from accross the room but from 2 or 3 feet in good light the difference is obvious. I've use additives to try to make the water base flow better and it helps but still does not come close unless you spray it.

water base: no or low odor, fast drying time, soap & water cleanup. less expensive

oil base: looks great

Dave Avery
02-26-2003, 11:28 AM
Given the work (prep) involved, I'm considering either buying new doors that will easily take paint or taking the big plunge and making new doors for the entire house. I'll post pics of the results, whatever the choice. Thanks again. Dave.

Glenn Clabo
02-26-2003, 12:48 PM
Dave,
Went throught the same issue last winter while we were remodeling the upstairs. I've built doors, stripped paint, ect before. This time, knowing we were going to paint em anyway...I just bought pressed fiberboard six panels doors. It saved a ton of time, money and you will be the only one to know (unless one of come over of course). Ours look and work much better than the old pine ones did through the change in seasons.

I really suffered over this one and remodeling the kitchen. Yes I ended up buying and installing cabinets and I HATE to buy anything I can build. But there is only so much time...and money.