PDA

View Full Version : The LOML made the first sale of some of my turnings.....

Ken Fitzgerald
11-29-2006, 10:25 PM
You might have seen me post photos of the bottle stoppers I've been turning in the last 3 or 4 weeks. Well..........yesterday the LOML took 8 to school with her.......A friend wanted to buy a couple......15 minutes after getting to work...she called me at home...........She'd sold 6 of the 8 and hid the two remaining ones because I'd promised some of the people I work with that I'd sell them some......

I've got to get a state tax number..............

This morning I ordered more materials..........

This evening the LOML informed me she was taking orders.............

Corey Hallagan
11-29-2006, 10:35 PM
Allright Ken! With your wife doing your PR work, you might have something going there! The dynamic duo!

Corey

Travis Stinson
11-29-2006, 10:49 PM
Way to go Ken! Careful sniffing those exotics!;) :D

Ken Fitzgerald
11-29-2006, 10:57 PM
Too late Travis! .......besides...........it's kinda like you folks held me down and stuck the needle in my arm the very first time..................:eek: :rolleyes: :D

John Hart
11-29-2006, 10:57 PM
Way to go Ken! Careful sniffing those exotics!;) :D

Too late.....he's hooked.:)

Jon Shively
11-29-2006, 11:02 PM
Ken the bottle stoppers you are making, are they the chrome ones? I heard there was a problem with some of them turning black or something and was just wondering what you had heard and were using. Congrats on the sales and wonderful lady.

Travis Stinson
11-29-2006, 11:02 PM
Yup, a full-blown junkie now........:D

Ken Fitzgerald
11-29-2006, 11:06 PM
John ........I've been using the chrome ones. I think after the first of the year I'll try the stainless steel ones.

John Hart
11-29-2006, 11:07 PM
Yup, a full-blown junkie now........:D

Gonna have to get him started on spray lacquer....(hic) :o

Jim Ketron
11-29-2006, 11:13 PM
Sounds Great Ken!
Now you better get busy so she can sell some more for ya;)

Dennis Peacock
11-30-2006, 1:03 AM
Awright Ken!!!!!!! Now's the time to plan on ordering that new Mustard Master Lathe you will be needing soon. :p :rolleyes: :D

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
11-30-2006, 6:08 AM
That is great Ken, way to go.......!! :D

Chris Barton
11-30-2006, 7:05 AM
I always knew teachers were a bunch of wine-ooos. Nice post Ken!

Glenn Clabo
11-30-2006, 7:14 AM
Ya...Ya...she does all the work and you have all the fun.:D

Way to go...

Mark Pruitt
11-30-2006, 7:29 AM
Way to go Ken! I'm starting to see potential opportunities too....but we'd be lucky if we could even come close to making back what this Vortex has cleaned us out of!:eek: :D

Karl Laustrup
11-30-2006, 7:58 AM
Nice to see you've got something to keep you off the streets and out of the unemployment line. ;) :D

How long until you retire? Looks like you'll have something to keep you busy and put some O/S on the table. :D

Karl

Frank Kobilsek
11-30-2006, 8:53 AM
Jon,
You can delay the 'White rust' on the chrome stopper bodies by waxing the metal before assembly. I ran a little test, a new clean chrome stopper body will show spots of rust in 10 days on exposure to red wine vapors. Wax with either Ren wax or plain old paste wax it took about 30 days. Real wine fans would never leave a stopper in a bottle that long but I expect that the effect accumulates.

I have switched to SS Niles stopper bodies. The stainless was the obvious reason but after making about the first 30 I find the fit into the bottle much better thus highlighting my turning not the metal. Also the edge at the top of the body is much sharper providing an improved fit to the wood. My retail outlet is very excited about the SS models.

Ken, keep up the good work. Its exciting to sell your craft, adds a little something to the whole process.

Frank

Jim Becker
11-30-2006, 10:36 AM
Congratulations! Nice to have a marketing/sales manager, eh?? :D

Ed Scolforo
11-30-2006, 4:21 PM
Good going, Ken. Now you have to plow your profits into more turning toys!
Ed