PDA

View Full Version : Bubinga Drawer Knobs

John Michaels
11-29-2006, 9:55 PM
I'm building a bubinga & maple dresser and would like to put bubinga knobs on it. Anyone here willing to turn them for me. I could ship you the bubinga if needed. I've searched the internet for places to buy exotic wooden knobs but have had no sucess.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-29-2006, 10:00 PM
John.........Can you show us a photo or drawing of what you want....size shape.....I'd be glad to turn them for you.

There are probably some turners in the Seattle area who could do it.

Try PMing Dave Smith here....he's in the Seattle area. He might do it.

John Hart
11-29-2006, 10:00 PM
Bubinga is an absolute pleasure to turn. Wish I could. Not set up yet after my recent move.:(

John Michaels
11-29-2006, 10:10 PM

Ken,

I was thinking of something simple like this. About 1 1/4" across.

Reed Gray
11-29-2006, 10:11 PM
I was just in Seattle, but now am back in Eugene. I do turn a number of the mushroom style drawer pulls. They are really easy. The first thing that I ever turned was some quilted maple pulls. I cut the head off the screw. and chucked that up in the drill press. Used a block of wood for a tool rest, and one of my bench chisels to cut with. Sanding took care of the rest.
robo hippy

Ken Fitzgerald
11-29-2006, 10:18 PM
John.........I live in Lewiston Idaho and I'd be glad to turn them. There are a number of Creekers who live in your immediate area and turn. If nobody in that area wants to do it, I'd be glad to do it!

Can you make a drawing...show a side view with the length of the knob and you've told me the width is 1 1/4". Drawing doesn't have to be great but the measurements need to be accurate so I can reproduce them.

I also need to know what the diameter of the area that will mate to the drawer is.

How many do you need?

John Michaels
11-29-2006, 10:33 PM
Ken,

I'll need 12 of them. I don't know the exact dimensions yet, but I could buy a cheap wooden knob from the local hardware store that is just like the one in the photo above and mail it along with the bubinga. Any ideas on how much you would charge for turning 12 knobs? Also, I'll need purchase some more bubinga because the stuff I have is only 3/4" thick.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-29-2006, 10:41 PM
John.............You have a PM from me.

John Hart
11-29-2006, 10:48 PM
You are a good man Mr Fitzgerald. ;)