PDA

View Full Version : Curly mango - advice please

Gary DeWitt
11-29-2006, 9:48 PM
I aquired this block of curly mango, 4 3/4 square and 18 1/2 long, while visiting a fellow turner in Hawaii last month. Looks like a nicely figured piece of wood, but after planing the rough off it, I noticed the grain is at about 35 degrees off the axis. Block was rubbed with mineral spirits to show the grain in the pics.
I was originally thinking of making one long narrow vase out of it, then started thinking maybe two 9 inch vases, and now I'm thinking a 12 inch vase and 6 inch lidded box.
What do you experts think? How would you slice it up? Should I be concerned about the direction of the grain, or just go for it and see what I get?
Any comments apreciated.

John Hart
11-29-2006, 9:57 PM
I think the angle of the grain is going to give you a magnificent swirl up the vase. Pretty nice looking piece of wood Gary. Looking forward to the finished piece. ;) :) :)

Ken Fitzgerald
11-29-2006, 10:03 PM
I'm with John..........should be some nice swirl and chatoyance when finished too! Beautiful piece of wood Gary!

Andy Hoyt
11-29-2006, 10:04 PM
try spinning a small section of it to see what will "turn up"

Jim Becker
11-29-2006, 10:05 PM
Yes, I also think that the angled figure is going to be really interesting with this end-grain stock! (drool...)

Corey Hallagan
11-29-2006, 10:38 PM
Sweet! Gary what ever you turn will look pretty with that wood!

Corey

Gary DeWitt
11-30-2006, 1:05 AM
Well, thanks guys. I like Andy's idea best, I'll go with a lidded box first, if all goes well I'll make a vase out of the rest. Of course, that means I'll have to make a hollowing rig first... don't hold your breath!
I'll post pics of the box in the next few days, assuming the wood is dry enough inside. Otherwise I'll rough turn, boil, and wait.

Derek Andrews
11-30-2006, 7:20 AM
If you run into problems cutting the skewed grain, try using a bowl gouge.

Another option is to cut a 4 3/4 cube and turn it as face grain. It would make a nice little vessel.