PDA

View Full Version : My 12 year old's first Hunt

Michael Morgan
11-29-2006, 9:33 PM
Monday was the first day of rifle season for deer here in Pa. Around here it ranks with just about any other Holiday, probably ranks higher actually, heck even the schools are closed. Anyway my 12 year old was sitting with me in a double ladder stand on my property the first day. At 8:30 a.m. he spotted this buck before I did. I'm not sure which of us was more excited. The buck spotted us and went from 50 yards out to 125 yards out and stopped broadside. My son wispered I think I can get him, I said quit thinking and start shooting! One shot 125 yards through the woods and dropped him. I was most impressed. It's a 9 point with a 15" inside spread.

Steve Ash
11-29-2006, 9:38 PM
Wow impressive Michael. I started both my son's hunting as soon as they were of legal age, nothing beats the thrill of watching your kids become succesfull hunters. Give em a pat on the back for me.

Might be interesting to see what that nice buck will score.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-29-2006, 9:38 PM
Nice whitetail buck! Tell your son Congrats!

Joe Mioux
11-30-2006, 6:32 AM
One hundred twenty five yards, one shot, dropped, and a buck with a pretty nice rack.

Not bad!

Congrats to your son and you Michael.

Joe

Tim Martin
11-30-2006, 6:36 AM
Good job! I think:o .......

Not being a deer hunter and not many deers in Australia, can you educate me with what you do with the deer after you pot the sucker?

Kurt T. Kneller
11-30-2006, 7:29 AM

Not being a deer hunter and not many deers in Australia, can you educate me with what you do with the deer after you pot the sucker?

Try New Zealand. From what I have read since whitetail deer have been introduced (century or so) they have flourished and are/maybe overpopulated. Either way, I would love to go there and hunt Red Stag.

Mike Sheppard
11-30-2006, 8:08 AM
Michael
Big way to go for you and your son.

Tim I can only say what we do with them cut, rap, freeze, cook, and eat. Had some last night was great.
Mike

Larry Browning
11-30-2006, 8:58 AM

We do lots of things with them. I am not a hunter myself, but many of my friends and co-workers are. There is a thriving industry around here dedicated to processing deer and other game meat. Many people count on deer meat being on the dinner table. I know of a couple of hunters that have the meat processed and then donate it to families who really need it. Some folks make trophies out of the heads and antlers for display in their homes. Others tan the hides and either hang them on the wall or use then for rugs.
Deer have very few natural enemies in the US and if we humans didn't have a hunting season on them, they would quickly get over populated causing countless problems. As it is, there are thousands of car accidents each year involving deer costing millions of dollars in damage and many lives. (I know this 1st hand!)

Dan McGuire
11-30-2006, 11:22 AM
One shot, One Kill, That is my kind of conservation:)

Great job, save me a piece of the backstrap

Dan

Greg Narozniak
11-30-2006, 11:26 AM
We do lots of things with them. I am not a hunter myself, but many of my friends and co-workers are. There is a thriving industry around here dedicated to processing deer and other game meat. Many people count on deer meat being on the dinner table. I know of a couple of hunters that have the meat processed and then donate it to families who really need it. Some folks make trophies out of the heads and antlers for display in their homes. Others tan the hides and either hang them on the wall or use then for rugs.
Deer have very few natural enemies in the US and if we humans didn't have a hunting season on them, they would quickly get over populated causing countless problems. As it is, there are thousands of car accidents each year involving deer costing millions of dollars in damage and many lives. (I know this 1st hand!)

Very well said!

Lee Schierer
11-30-2006, 12:28 PM
Good job to both of you. Him for hitting the target in one shot and you for teaching him how.

It's good to see the antler restrictions are working here in PA. I saw several large bucks this past week, but none had quite enough hat rack to shoot. Maybe this weekend.

Bryan Somers
11-30-2006, 12:32 PM
Job well for done for young master Morgan.

The LOML got her first one last week also, she was using a Toyota Highlander though ;).

Can we safley assume the head will soon be mounted on the wall for the two of you to brag about and show off?