PDA

View Full Version : First Pic.

Philip Duffy
11-04-2003, 6:01 AM
Well, here goes- - -the first attempt at posting a photo of one of my pieces. Big holly - -13.25inx4.5 in. Turned 5 months ago into a 1in. ruff and it still ended up with a crack from the rim (@2 o'clock) that runs into the bowl about 3 in. A few drops of CA glue and some dust closes it up pretty well.
Large holly is pretty rare and this is one of two pieces that were given to me.
// be gentle, or kind, or quiet! phil

John Miliunas
11-04-2003, 7:59 AM
Hmmmm...13.25". Guess you didn't spin that beauty on one of the mini's, did you?! At any rate, I like it! So does LOML....She really likes the nice, thin walls. (She's always at me for making my bowls with walls that are too thick.) How about some "finish used" details? Thanks for posting the pic, although the next time SWMBO starts in on me for my stuff, I'm blaming YOU! :D :cool:

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
11-04-2003, 8:04 AM
Well, here goes- - -the first attempt at posting a photo of one of my pieces. Big holly - -13.25inx4.5 in. Turned 5 months ago into a 1in. ruff and it still ended up with a crack from the rim (@2 o'clock) that runs into the bowl about 3 in. A few drops of CA glue and some dust closes it up pretty well.

Hey Phil ... looks like you can still do the big stuff! That looks like it turned out pretty good. I need to get over some weekend and let you show me some poiters on the ornaments, though. I did a couple but wasn't very pleased with the way they came out. I have a piece of walnut and a piece of cherry for you when I can get that way again. Keep on turning and posting pic. We need to see some of your ornaments on here, too.

Philip Duffy
11-04-2003, 8:19 AM
John, Thanks to you and your Lady, for the compliments. The finish is very simple - a couple of coats of salad bowl bees wax. I allows the wood to look completely unfinished and breath. I suspect this piece will "twist and turn" a bunch more before it settle down. The other half of the log is smaller and will come up when I get a good shot on the camera. Trying to learn 3 technologies at the same time taxes my brain! Phil

Philip Duffy
11-04-2003, 8:24 AM
Hi, Ron, Well, as I said above, I am getting there slowly. I have about 24 ornaments that will go to a local craft fair next week, and an order for 6 that are ready to go. The storm brought a wall of wood crashing down, including a whole bunch of pear. It turns like a dream. Holler on the phone when you get a moment, or look at next Monday/Tues. morning, before you go to Wella. Phil

Hey Phil ... looks like you can still do the big stuff! That looks like it turned out pretty good. I need to get over some weekend and let you show me some poiters on the ornaments, though. I did a couple but wasn't very pleased with the way they came out. I have a piece of walnut and a piece of cherry for you when I can get that way again. Keep on turning and posting pic. We need to see some of your ornaments on here, too.

Todd Burch
11-04-2003, 8:44 AM
Philip, I like the thin walls too. What's the approx. thickness mear the base? Todd.

Jim Becker
11-04-2003, 9:27 AM
Phillip, that's a very nice shape...the curve is what a pro-turner friend of mine would call "sexy"...continuous and regular from start to finish. I wish all mine turned [sic] out like that! Good score on the holly, too. I've had trouble finding it.

Nice job!

Dave Smith
11-04-2003, 11:04 AM
Hi Phil,

Nice looking bowl. How thick is it? My experience with holly is that the bowl will not move. I love the way holly turns. It takes detail well and is forgiving when I don't present the tool correctly.

Holly that big is hard to find. From your comments you have some large pieces. Here, on the wet side of the mountains in WA, I get most of my turning wood from yards. There are a few holly trees in town that could be in jeopardy if someone invents a silencer for a chain saw. One wood that is not in short supply here is big leaf maple.

Dave Smith

Keeping an eye on the yard trees in Longview, WA.

Philip Duffy
11-04-2003, 4:08 PM
Hi Dave, The rim is just a bit under 3/16ths but the walls get a bit thicker as they approach the base. I have a false rim under the base that is hidden. As a result the bowl sits up off the table about 1/8th in and that gives a loftier sense to the whole mass. - - -well, at least that's what I said to myself- - . I will try to post the other half of the log in the next couple days. Phil

Hi Phil

Nice looking bowl. How thick is it? My experience with holly is that the bowl will not move. I love the way holly turns. It takes detail well and is forgiving when I don't present the tool correctly.

Holly that big is hard to find. From your comments you have some large pieces. Here, on the wet side of the mountains in WA, I get most of my turning wood from yards. There are a few holly trees in town that could be in jeopardy if someone invents a silencer for a chain saw. One wood that is not in short supply here is big leaf maple.

Dave Smith

Keeping an eye on the yard trees in Longview, WA.