PDA

View Full Version : Wall furnace

Ben Grunow
11-29-2006, 9:18 PM
Anyone using an Empire wall furnace? They are relatively small, run on propane/NG and direct vent and prices around $600 (I think). ARe they any good or shoudl i go with the default Hot Dawg that everyone raves about? Loe to see some pics of either heater installed.

Shop is 16' x 24' x 11' with good insulation.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ben

Al Willits
11-29-2006, 9:26 PM
From the ones I've seen, I think the hot dog will give ya better air circulation, and can be mounted up out of the way.

Al

Charles McKinley
11-30-2006, 11:00 AM
Hi Ben,

I have been looking at the Monitor (sp?) to replace the ventless propane heater I have. I want to get rid of the smell and up to a gallon of water an hour it puts into the room. I'll post a link when I find it.

Ken Werner
11-30-2006, 11:50 AM
Ben, my shop is 15 x 23 x 10 and I heat it with an Empire. It is fabulous. No blower needed. The pilot light generates enough electricity to run the thermostat. I bought it used for about $279. I especially like the fact that it'll keep running in a power outage. It is not as efficient as the Monitors I have in my house, but IMHO, it is much less sensitive to dust. [No dust in my shop......NOT]

Chuck - Monitors are pricey, need AC to run [75 watts/hr] and are fussy - the little switches need cleaning in the house - I'd hate to see 'em in the shop. I'd suggest you look at an Empire. Way better than the stinky ventless propane heaters.

Ken

Ben Grunow
11-30-2006, 8:40 PM
Ken- A couple of questions if I may-

What model do you have?

Do you maintain your shop at 60 F or so or let it cool when not in use? If so how long does it take to recover when its cold out (35 F)?

What do I have to do to get you to post some interior and exterior pics of that thing?

Thanks again (in advance)

Ben

Ken Werner
11-30-2006, 9:17 PM
What model do you have?
35,000 BTU, the exact model # is long, if you need it, I'll find it. I took a photo of the spec badge with that info, but it didn't come out well

Do you maintain your shop at 60 F or so or let it cool when not in use? If so how long does it take to recover when its cold out (35 F)?
Ben, up here, 35 F is kinda warm. In the winter it's often -5 to +15. When I leave the shop, I lower the setting to about 50. Now 50 is cold for the house, but it's fine for the shop, at least to start. When I go out, I raise the temp to 65. It's fine before I know it, I'd guess within a half hour.

What do I have to do to get you to post some interior and exterior pics of that thing?
Ask. Here are some shots:

The photo on the right is the intake/exhaust flue. It takes cold air in, combusts it and expels the products of combustion.

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask. I really love this unit. The only negative is that it runs on a pilot light, and so is not quite as efficient as a self igniting unit [like a monitor] Having said that, it also doesn't consume any AC, unlike the monitor.