PDA

View Full Version : Removing glue from Bessey bars

Fred Voorhees
11-29-2006, 7:35 PM
I know I have read this on here in the past, long ago, but I was wondering the other night.........how do you guys remove any excess glue build up on your Bessey or other similar clamps steel bars?

Rick Schubert
11-29-2006, 8:13 PM
Fred,

Here are two threads that hopefully will help you:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=44398
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=39453

Rick

Jim Becker
11-29-2006, 8:51 PM
I just scrape/crack it off with piece of blunt metal...like a flat head screwdriver.

Gary Herrmann
11-29-2006, 10:23 PM
Dental picks

Dave Lehnert
11-29-2006, 11:55 PM
A rep from Bessey told me to use a wire wheel in a drill or bench grinder

Dick Rowe
11-30-2006, 5:56 AM
I just throw 'em away and buy new ones :)

Na ... I just use a putty knife, but if I am actually 'thinking' ahead of time I keep a box of wax paper in the shop and I'll try to get some in the area(s) between the clamps and wood where I expect the squeeze-out to occur.

Mike Lawler
11-30-2006, 9:48 AM
hit them with paste wax now and then.

Whenever I wax my TS top, I wipe down everything within reach with the rag.

Howard Acheson
11-30-2006, 10:06 AM
I know I have read this on here in the past, long ago, but I was wondering the other night.........how do you guys remove any excess glue build up on your Bessey or other similar clamps steel bars?

If you are using a PVA adhesive, you can just heat it with a heat gun or boiling water and it will easily come off.

As said, keeping a coat of wax on them makes the glue pop right off when dry.

A wire wheel on your grinder will clean out the serrations.

Get some wax paper, cut it into 4" wide rolls with your bandsaw. Rip off a piece as long as you need to sort of "tent" over the bar before you lay the boards on it. Not only will this catch the glue, but it will provent black mark staining on the wood.

glenn bradley
11-30-2006, 12:13 PM
Once they're clean (I use an old screwdriver I use for such tasks) use wax paper. Ounce of prevention and all that. I pick up cheapo wax paper at the 99 cent store or where ever and use it generously wherever gravity predicts glue may fall that I don't want it to stick.

Terre Hooks
11-30-2006, 2:40 PM
I usually boil mine in a #7 washtub.

Alfred Hoffmann
11-30-2006, 10:18 PM
As propsed by the Bessy rep I have been using successfully a wire wheel in a drill press.

Al Hoffmann

Ted Miller
12-01-2006, 11:07 AM
Howard, Great tip about cutting the roll of wax paper on the bandsaw, I usually just sit around and cut small pieces with scissors and I just make a pile of paper close to my clamps and gluing area, thanx for that one...