PDA

View Full Version : cutting and splitting firewood

Howard Pollack
11-04-2003, 1:28 AM
Today I got a batch of freshly cut oak to use as firewood. Can anyone tell me if it is easier to cut and split green or dry? Also, does anyone know of a particularly good splitting wedge or maul? Thanks. _Howard

Kevin Gerstenecker
11-04-2003, 6:08 AM
Howard, most all wood is much easier to split when it is dry as opposed to wet. Oak especially splits better dry. If you have a lot to split, it may save you time and aches and pains to rent a Hydraulic Splitter. If you want to split it by hand, you can use a regular Splitting Maul, available at most stores that sell Garden Tools. Depending on the size of the logs, you may want to quarter or halve them using steel wedges and a Sledge Hammer. If it were me, I would rent a Log Splitter from the local rental store. This makes much quicker work of the task, and is much less taxing on the body. Good luck, when it comes to firewood, it doesn't get much better than Oak. ;)

(One other thing to consider also Howard...............the Oak will "Season" much quicker to a burnable state if you split it.........it takes a much longer time to dry when left unsplit.)

Brad Schafer
11-04-2003, 8:13 AM
one other thing ... if you decide to get wedges (which i would if i were doing this by hand - a maul isn't enough), avoid the cheapie jobs that are painted with black teflon paint. the marketing schtick is that they won't get stuck as easily.

it also means that if your wood is wet and contrary, they'll pop right out.

and (even though it's obvious), never use a maul as a wedge unless you're standing perpendicular to the handle. lots of melons bruised by not observing this little rule. :rolleyes:

b

William Parks
11-04-2003, 1:10 PM
Sitting on 11 acres of Oak trees, I have always found it better to cut green, split dry. After cutting, I usually wait until the following year before splitting (splits real easy and clean). Then I stack and it can sit for another year or two before it sees a match (can't burn it fast enough sometimes). This years pile was split 3 years ago. Anything over 1/2 of cord I would rent, borrow, or beg the use of a hydraulic splitter unless you're looking to buff up.

Tyler Howell
11-04-2003, 6:18 PM
On a cold crisp night (about 10 degrees F.) I’ll go out, look at the stars, kick around in the snow and split a small stack. Cures cabin fever gets the blood flowing and you can break a sweat. Ain’t nothing like it. By the end of winter you’ve got a nice pile for a year from now.

TJH
:D