PDA

View Full Version : Nickels and pennies

John Miliunas
11-03-2003, 11:19 PM
I know...You guys are probably thinking, "Sheeeesh, John's lost it now!" Not quite. Shortly before I bought my Delta contractor saw, I had read in the forums about the "nickel test". My objective became to tune that saw well enough to pass the test. I installed the machined pulleys and link belt, tweaked all that I could and it passed. Well, this evening, I finally got to the point on the new BW 10-LTS, to where I could finally power it up. I assembled and set the saw up per the manual with no further mods. This included the 7' rail and the Beisey clone fence, as well as the stock blade provided by Bridgewood. I set the nickel on it and hit the power for the first time. Man, that thing spins up FAST! At any rate, the nickel fell over in short order! "What?! :mad: " I did it again and same thing! I left the nickel lay and powered back up, just putting my hand on the table to see what vibration I could feel. Figured it out in short order. It wasn't vibration but the "wind" from the blade blowing the nickel over! :rolleyes: "What a dummy!" OK, so I placed the nickel upright, but off to the side and hit the throttle. Not even a whimper! Now I felt better and happened to have a few pennies in my pocket, so I tried it. Sure enough, a complete repeat of the nickel test! No detectable movement...AT ALL! OK, I'm impressed. :D I had some other chores to tend to after that, so I didn't even run a piece of wood through it. I did, however, clean the top once more and hit it with some Boeshield. Once I get to put it through some paces and try the Woodworker II on it, I'll give a better report on it. Thus far, though, extremely pleased with the Bridgewood! :D :cool:

Tony Laros
11-04-2003, 12:48 AM
John, if you read your manual carefully you'll note that the fence must be between the blade and the coin, or the blade must be below the table. Many saws have been needlessly returned for failing the nickle test for vibration, when in fact it was caused by air movement. ;)

Phil Phelps
11-04-2003, 1:25 PM
John, if you read your manual carefully you'll note that the fence must be between the blade and the coin, or the blade must be below the table. Many saws have been needlessly returned for failing the nickle test for vibration, when in fact it was caused by air movement. ;)

......Tony, that those people that don't figure out that it is the wind, will still be the ones operating the saw. Scary. :rolleyes: And they vote......

Ted Shrader
11-04-2003, 1:54 PM
John -

Glad you are pleased with the new iron. The dime test works on mine - . . . . - course the dime is in some epoxy.... :D

Review on the saw coming?

Ted

John Miliunas
11-04-2003, 2:16 PM
Review on the saw coming?

Ted

Thanks Ted! Yeah quite happy, thus far. I will try to do, at least, an abreviated review in the near future. Having just moved, there are many, MANY projects needing my attention, so it won't be real in-depth, but certainly should give a good overview. :cool:

Ed Falis
11-04-2003, 3:06 PM
John -

Glad you are pleased with the new iron. The dime test works on mine - . . . . - course the dime is in some epoxy.... :D
Ted

Yeah, I was going to ask him about the dime test, too.

I heard something like "no picture, never happened" around here, didn't I?

- Ed