PDA

View Full Version : Holbren "Magic Molder"

Lloyd McKinlay
11-29-2006, 3:30 PM
Does anyone have experience with the Holbren molding heads for a tablesaw? 4 cutter heads or 2? I'm sure the 4 heads provide a smoother cut, but at an additional $100 for the head and $80 for each profile is it worthwhile? Thoughts?
http://www.holbren.com/home.php?cat=198

Mike Spanbauer
11-29-2006, 3:46 PM
Holbren is merely a reseller of the unit, not the manufacturer. I've heard good things from people who own it. Well built, clever design.

Cut quality is good and they make one for shapers also.

As to the cutter number, just depends on the feedrate and cut quality desired. 4 head would be more desirable in a production shop, 2 would probably work just fine in most hobbyist environments.

cheers,

mike

Brian Gumpper
11-29-2006, 8:26 PM
If you decide to order, don't forget your 10% SMC member discount. Just put "SMC10" in the coupon code field.

Thanks,
Brian

Jim Becker
11-29-2006, 8:50 PM
Magic Molder is made by LHR, if I recall. It's the one to own if you have a need for this kind of cutter...balanced, safer and quieter than the less expensive units out there. Not inexpensive, however.

My cabinetmaker neighbor has one and he uses it often to make his own bead-board with the proper scale and spacing for a particular project. It really works great.

Lloyd McKinlay
11-30-2006, 12:20 AM
And thanks to everybody for the info. I'll be placing an order first thing tomorrow.