PDA

View Full Version : Router Lift or Router Shaper

Ted Baca
11-29-2006, 12:32 PM
I just sold an old benchtop Delta Router-Shaper and for space sake I am thinking or replacing it with a tablesaw mounted Router Lift Table. I wouldn't mind a free standing router shaper. I am a little concerned about the RS though only having speed of around 9-12000 rpm. vs the router of 20000 plus. What do you guys think. I am looking at the Benchdog and Jessem and have only looked at the Jet 1 1/2 hp model. Trying to stay below 750.00

Jim Dailey
11-29-2006, 1:38 PM
Hi Ted,

I've owned shapers long before there was a router lift or before the plunge router became popular. Today I have both a Unishaper & a Jessem Mast-R-Lift with a 3 1/4 hp single speed PC with an Incra Linear Twin. Why single speed... I only swing small bits in the Jessen as I have a large collection of shaper cutters.

A couple points;

1. Router bits in a shaper give excellent results period.

2. A 1 1/2hp shaper is toooooooo small. For the same money as the new Jet you can find a quality used shaper.

3. If you have the space & $$$.... nothing beats a quality shaper with powerfeeder, but you will still want/need a good router table. Both have their place.

4. If your only going to use this on a limited basis... have limited space... Then a nice router table/lift makes the most sense for 95% of the woodworkers.

A post a couple a weeks back showed pictures of my modified Unishaper with a pair of Incra fence positioner, and comments about router bits in a shaper.

Hope this helps, jim

Travis Porter
11-29-2006, 10:14 PM
I second Ted's comments. If you have the space for a shaper, it is the way to go. I have both the router lift in a table and a shaper. I use the router table for small stuff just for convenience, but I would not have believed the difference a 3HP shaper has in power compared to a router.