PDA

View Full Version : What is the Best Laser Engraver/Cutter?

Tom Nervig
11-29-2006, 11:47 AM
If money were not a factor and you could have any make and model in the market, what would you buy? Thanks for the answers!

Tom Nervig

Tim Goldstein
11-29-2006, 12:12 PM
A pretty funny questions. Much like asking "how many angles can dance on the head of a pin". I say this because in the real world of decision making there are constraints and money is just one of them. Plus, it is easy to say I would make a certain choice when I never have to actually do it. Finally you have to factor in that most people will give you an answer that defends their previous decisions. So if a person has brand X they are not likely to say they would buy a brand Y if they had more money. To do so is to sow the seeds of discontent in ones mind. And who wants to go through life knowing that they made a choice that was settling for second best.

Sorry for so much philosophy, but to make a legitimate recommendation one needs to understand the constraints. Then the recommendation needs to be taken in light of the bias of the person giving it.

Mitchell Andrus
11-29-2006, 6:24 PM
Tom, welcome to the laserhead section of the Creek.

Gotta second what Tim said. What's the best laser cutter in the world? If I built battleships, the laser I'd buy would take a year to build and cost over 2 million bucks.

If this is a serious question...., perhaps if we knew what you intended to do with it we could guide your decision. ie: for cutting steel, the vast majority of owners here can't help you. Our machines aren't designed for this material. For 'normal' trophy type work, we're all pretty happy with the units offered by the big 3.

Mitch

Bruce Volden
11-29-2006, 7:22 PM
Tom,

First off WELCOME to the "Creek"!

The best laser out there is one you become intimately familiar with over time. Alas, they ALL have their peculairities.

The best laser out there does the job it is intended for.

The best laser pays for itself in a matter of months with the right person driving it.

The best laser gets lotsa TLC in the manner of cleaning and preventive maintenance.

The best laser should last several years before needing any tech support!!

When you find the best laser money can buy let the rest of us know, by all means!!!;)

Bruce

Keith Outten
11-29-2006, 7:26 PM
Tom,

In the small format laser engravers, those that can be used in a typical office space my pick would be the Xenetech XLT2436-200 at $81,495.00

200 watts and 150 ips would blow the doors off of my machine. I can't afford it therefore I can accept the fact that I settled for less than the very best.

I did purchase the best machine I could afford and it has served me well.

Dave Fifield
11-30-2006, 6:21 AM
Tom, welcome to the computer controlled cutting forum.

My dream laser is going to be delivered to me tomorrow apparently (according to the FedEx Freight tracking info). It's a 45W Epilog 36EXT machine with all the options. Should keep me happy for a couple of years! :)

My old 45W Epilog Mini 24 is sold - the new owner picks it up this Friday or Saturday. Great timing!

Looking ahead, I see a whole new generation of dual-mode lasers (CO2 + Nd:YaG in one unit) about to hit the market (the Trotec unit being the first apparently). When the major laser suppliers have the bugs worked out of those in a couple of years, I will probably swoop for one.

What research have you done so far, and what are your thoughts on what you've found? Give us a clue as to what you want to do, and we'll be able to help you more.

:Dave F.

Mike Null
11-30-2006, 7:42 AM
I owned a ULS 25 watt for 8 years and it was virtually trouble free. I recently purchased a Trotec which has been very good and fast. Both these companies have good tech support. It is factory tech support that you must rely on --not your rep.

Rob Bosworth
11-30-2006, 11:16 AM
If money were no object, what would I pick. If money were no object, I wouldn't buy a laser engraver at all. I would be sitting on some beach, sipping an adult beverage, and enjoying the tropical breezes that keep the 88 degree temperature from feeling hot. So says a guy who is sitting in 7 degree weather and looking forward to 6 more months of this temp before we get over 60 degrees. (With this kind of attitude, it is going to be a loooooonnnnngggggggggg winter.):eek:

Doug Reade
11-30-2006, 11:54 AM
A pretty funny questions. Much like asking "how many angles can dance on the head of a pin". I say this because in the real world of decision making there are constraints and money is just one of them. . . .
Sorry for so much philosophy, but to make a legitimate recommendation one needs to understand the constraints. Then the recommendation needs to be taken in light of the bias of the person giving it.

So I walk into this forum for the first time, and the first question I see is almost exactly the one I was looking for answers to. And the caveats are quite valid. So let's narrow the parameters a little.

Assuming we're talking oranges to oranges, same power, etc., have you found any particular manufacturer easier to work with than another? The setup of controls better on any particular machine? I'm looking at both Pinnacle and Epilog. Is there somebody else I should be evaluating?

I'm new at this enterprise, and to this forum, and I suspect these questions have been asked here ad boredom. Please forgive if so. But I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Tom Nervig
11-30-2006, 12:10 PM
Thanks for all the insite! This was mostly a 'for fun' question but people have came up with some great reasoning. How about if you were looking for something industrial, say 48 x 100 inches. In a setting where you are producing lots of pieces and are trying to take advantage of economies of scale.

Tom

Tim Goldstein
11-30-2006, 12:21 PM
Doug,

I think you will find if you search the group a little and/or just read as this thread develops that there is no clear cut, hands down winner. It seems that there are 3 or 4 that are considered the main contenders and then some others that may be worth considering. The biggies are Epilog, GCC (sold by Sign Warehouse as Pinnicale or by the USA distributor as Laser Pro), and Universal. Trotec seems to be a growing contender, but I did not like that the salesman was in AZ when I am in CO. Xenetech was in the same boat as Trotec, but with even less of a in the field organization. So I dropped them from my list as not having any type of local support. There are a few other names I see mentioned occasionally like Kern and then there are vendors that I never see mentioned on this forum (Hermes, Vision Engraving, CAM Tech, Jamison, etc).

The general advise seems to be first make sure the machine will do what you want with a real live in person demo using your own files and materials, then look at support (local and factory), warrantee, and finally price.

Doug Reade
11-30-2006, 12:41 PM
Thanks. Yep, I was biting my too-quite tongue, because right after I posted, I looked down a few threads and found just the info you said was there. (reminder to self: lurk first, then post. lurk first, then post . . .)

This forum is a great find. Tons of good info here.

Doug,

I think you will find if you search the group a little and/or just read as this thread develops that there is no clear cut, hands down winner. It seems that there are 3 or 4 that are considered the main contenders and then some others that may be worth considering. The biggies are Epilog, GCC (sold by Sign Warehouse as Pinnicale or by the USA distributor as Laser Pro), and Universal. Trotec seems to be a growing contender, but I did not like that the salesman was in AZ when I am in CO. Xenetech was in the same boat as Trotec, but with even less of a in the field organization. So I dropped them from my list as not having any type of local support. There are a few other names I see mentioned occasionally like Kern and then there are vendors that I never see mentioned on this forum (Hermes, Vision Engraving, CAM Tech, Jamison, etc).

The general advise seems to be first make sure the machine will do what you want with a real live in person demo using your own files and materials, then look at support (local and factory), warrantee, and finally price.

Keith Outten
11-30-2006, 2:49 PM
Always ask what the replacement cost is on the CO2 Tube is going to cost. They fail, and the cost of a rebuilt tube can be a real eye opener.

You should know this cost upfront because you are going to write that check sooner than you think in some cases. Forget the 30,000 hour advertisements, it was less than 500 hours in my case.

Your mileage may vary :)

Tim Goldstein
11-30-2006, 3:20 PM
That was probably the biggest reason I ordered a Universal. They were the only vendor I spoke with that would give me an exact price for an out of warrantee tube replacement. Everyone else told me ranges that would depend on the condition my bad tube was in. Even then the ranges started at about double what Universals fixed price was and went up from there.

Rob Bosworth
11-30-2006, 4:16 PM
I would seriously look at the Kern Laser Systems. They have a lot of flexibility for laser processing.

Steve McKee
11-30-2006, 4:18 PM
So says a guy who is sitting in 7 degree weather and looking forward to 6 more months of this temp before we get over 60 degrees. (With this kind of attitude, it is going to be a loooooonnnnngggggggggg winter.):eek:

Well Rob, you know the old saying...Wisconsin, one day it's hot. :)

Steve