PDA

View Full Version : I feel much safer now!

Martin Shupe
11-03-2003, 9:18 PM
Over the weekend I installed a Biesemeyer splitter on my tablesaw.

While I had reservations about spending the $130 for the splitter, I think it is a small price to pay if I get to keep all of my fingers intact between now and retirement. (After retirement is a bonus. I NEED my fingers until retirement, I'd LIKE to keep them until I die of old age.)

Next purchase (soon) will be an Excaliber overarm guard.

Whew, I have been spending a lot on tools lately. Guess I need to work a few extra trips!

I like the splitter. It was easy to install, can be removed and reinstalled quickly when doing dado's, and adds a measure of safety to my work.

Todd Burch
11-03-2003, 9:48 PM
Correction: You've been spending a lot on your TABLESAW as of late!

Add up everything you've spent on it, and ask yourself what you could have bought new with all those same features.

Todd.

Martin Shupe
11-03-2003, 10:43 PM
Correction: You've been spending a lot on your TABLESAW as of late!

Add up everything you've spent on it, and ask yourself what you could have bought new with all those same features.

Todd.

Like a PM66, maybe? Or a European saw? :(

Todd, you really know how to hurt a guy!

Seriously, if I knew what I know now, I would have done this a lot differently.

Jim Becker
11-04-2003, 9:23 AM
One the neat things about the snap-in splitter is that it's so easy to use that...well...you use it! Mine actually stays on my saw almost all the time; so much so that I forgot it was there one day when I began to make a non-through cut! 'Can't say that about the stock splitter...

The Excalibur guard is great (review on my site) but I'll admit that I don't "use" it nearly as much as the splitter. That's just a procedural problem that I need to deal with.

Dave Arbuckle
11-04-2003, 12:57 PM
Like a PM66, maybe?

I once added up everything I spent (aside from blades) on my Ridgid contractor's saw, and it was almost exactly the street price of a 52" Powermatic 66.

BUT, the Powermatic wouldn't have had an Incra fence, an overhead guard, or a built-in router table. Would I like that fancy tablesaw? Yeah, I guess. Would I trade straight across, mine for a stock 66? Nope.

Would I trade straight across for one of the Hammer K3s? Where do I sign up? ;)

Dave

Phil Phelps
11-04-2003, 1:15 PM
Martin, I use mine for one thing only. Dust. I've gotten used to it, but it is a PITA a lot of times. But, when I saw MDF or masonite, I really appreciate it. Make yourself a " push shoe " to ride atop your fence for narrow rippings. I think you'll like like the dust collection part. ;)

mike malone
11-04-2003, 1:25 PM
I like the splitter. It was easy to install, can be removed and reinstalled quickly when doing dado's, and adds a measure of safety to my work.[/QUOTE]

good move martin
i've been hit with 2 kickbacks over the years and they smart!!!
i ALWAY use guards and splitters now
regards
mike