PDA

View Full Version : Miter Trimmer

Robert McGowen
11-29-2006, 10:17 AM
Hi,

Does anyone have any experience with one of these?

http://grizzly.com/products/g1690 (http://grizzly.com/products/g1690)

It is a G1690 Grizzly Miter Trimmer. I would be using it for segmented turning cuts. (Unless the wife finds out what it is really made for!) The price is well below others that I have googled and shipping is reasonable also. Any other places that I should look, please let me know.

Thanks,
Robert

Jim Hill
11-29-2006, 12:47 PM
Robert,

I just bought, but haven't really given it a workout yet, the Lee Valley trimmer. It cost a little bit more, but what swayed me was the HSS blade inserts, over high carbon steel blades. Plus, I've never been let down with anything I've gotten from Lee Valley.

Jim

Kenneth Hertzog
11-29-2006, 1:05 PM
Robert
I did purchase the one from Lee Valley. They do the same job and at the time I thought the lee valley one was a better deal. You have to remember that they are only meant to shave the wood not cut. On the picture frames I've made it makes a glass like finish on the mitered ends and they are a perfect angle.
hope that helps
ken
slippery rock, pa

Bob Way
11-29-2006, 1:11 PM
Interesting. However, most segmented work involves angles other than 45 and 90 degrees. Is the trimmer adjustable for those other angles?

John Hart
11-29-2006, 1:24 PM
Interesting. However, most segmented work involves angles other than 45 and 90 degrees. Is the trimmer adjustable for those other angles?

Looks like it from the blow-up pics. Seems to have one them wing-nut tightening swing panel thingamajigs to adjust the angle. Hmmm I think this is what I want to ask Santa for. ;) It would probably help with lots of stuff, like squaring up pen blanks, fingernail trimmer, etc...

Thanks Robert!!

Mark Pruitt
11-29-2006, 1:35 PM
I have the Woodtek version. It works fine. You have to shave off just a hair at a time. Try to take too much and you have a mess. I've found it to be of limited use, really just for fine tuning molding pieces. For segmented work, I would prefer my Incra 1000se miter guage and my TS, I think. Haven't actually tried segmented turning, hope to mess with it next year.

As for adjusting the angle, each fence has 45 and 90 degree stops which can be fine tuned. For any angles in between, I won't say it can't be done but I think it would be frustrating enough to discourage further practice. IMHO the $$ would be better spent on a nice miter gauge if you don't already have one. Just my 2 cents.

Robert McGowen
11-29-2006, 1:39 PM

It shows to cut from -45 degrees to 90 degrees. There are positive stops at 90 and 45, but the angle guide can be locked down at any angle in between.

I had not noticed the difference in the steel of the blades. Grizzly shows to be carbon tool steel. I could not find out what the Lee Valley blades were made from on their website. Considering that the price of replacement blades approaches 1/2 of the cost of the machine, that is something worth considering.,

Robert McGowen
11-29-2006, 1:42 PM
Hmmmmmmm.......... Somebody isn't working today. I show to be a 2007 contributor and I just sent PayPal about 2 hours ago!

Dennis Peacock
11-29-2006, 2:55 PM
Hmmmmmmm.......... Somebody isn't working today. I show to be a 2007 contributor and I just sent PayPal about 2 hours ago!

LOL!!!! Keith has been "punching in" from time to time today and working the contributions. Your timing was perfect. ;)

Lee DeRaud
11-29-2006, 3:01 PM
These things have always looked like the right answer...assuming the question involved picture frames. Real question is, can they handle the very short pieces typical of segmented turning work?