PDA

View Full Version : ShopNotes Classic workbench #84

Dave Lehnert
11-28-2006, 11:17 PM
Anyone ever build this bench? What do you think of it? Any info you can give on how well it's made, how much did it cost to build etc...

Kev Coleman
11-28-2006, 11:35 PM
I am also interested in building that bench or a similar one from fine wookdworkings tiools and shops issue from 2003/2004. I just bought the Shopnotes that included that bench off ebay.

Steven DeMars
11-29-2006, 12:00 AM
http://www.shopnotes.com/files/issues/084/classic-cabinet-base-workbench.pdf

Here is the PDF - for FREE!!!!!

Seth Poorman
11-29-2006, 12:06 AM
Hey Guys
What issue of shopnotes is this in ?

Steven DeMars
11-29-2006, 12:27 AM
#84 is the issue number . . . . .

Seth Poorman
11-29-2006, 12:35 AM
Ok ,Thanks Steve.. I will look on E-bay

Ken Garlock
11-29-2006, 11:57 AM
from Popular Mechanics (http://www.popularmechanics.com/home_journal/woodworking/1302961.html). I like it because of the 30" depth to the top, and the twin-screw end vise.

This doesn't answer your question, but it may give you some ideas.

Dave Lehnert
11-29-2006, 4:39 PM
I like the looks of the bench a lot. You can’t tell from the photo but it’s around 100” long with the tail vice not included. I think I would modify it to shorten it. I have been doing some quick figuring on what it will cost to build and can tell already it’s not going to be cheap. Like making a major tool purchase.

Tom Henry
11-29-2006, 5:01 PM
Take a look at this bench (http://pages.friendlycity.net/~krucker/Bench/index.htm) and the plans are free!!!:D

glenn bradley
11-29-2006, 5:40 PM
I did one of the drawers units to practice web frames and planned on using it as an insert on a future bench. The plans are quite well done. As far as cost; you save money on drawer glides but spend just as much on hardwood for the web frames unless your scrap bin lives further uptown than mine. Start by pricing the vice hardware, then add your boardfeet and you'll get the idea.

Alfredo Rodriguez Garcia
11-29-2006, 5:54 PM
Seth,
check this address and you will find the magazine
you are looking for
http://www.shopnotes.com/issues/sample/

Saludos cordiales
Alfredo

Travis Porter
11-29-2006, 7:00 PM
I haven't built it, but I like the base unit design. As for the top, I believe I want to do something a bit thicker. The size overall is pretty much what I want as well, but I would like to have a tool tray in it.

Tom Henry
11-29-2006, 7:36 PM
Travis-

Did you look at the link in my post. That sounds like the bench you want...

Travis Porter
11-29-2006, 8:25 PM
Actually, I did. I have drooled over that one before. I love the top on it, and will probably adapt the shopnotes base to work on it. I have to finish up a dresser, and hopefully that will be my next project if the CFO approves it. I have to get the tail vise and the wood as I have the front vise.

I especially like the dovetails on it.

Jim W. White
11-29-2006, 11:26 PM
Great thread....

Thanks for the links all. Serious score on issue #84 Alfredo, your my hero!

Dave Lehnert
11-29-2006, 11:39 PM
Great thread....

Thanks for the links all. Serious score on issue #84 Alfredo, your my hero!

Now is that luck or what?

jonathan snyder
11-30-2006, 2:10 AM
Here is another great workbench write up, I recently stumbled across. Beware it is picture intensive & 4.3 MB!!

http://www3.telus.net/steve_n_shelly/WW_files/WW_images/WW_workbench/workbenchwriteup.pdf

Jonathan

Harry Niemann
11-30-2006, 2:59 PM
I built this bench shortly after it was published. It was a greatly satisfying project. I have been using it almost every day since, and am very happy with it.

Dave Lehnert
11-30-2006, 5:42 PM
I built this bench shortly after it was published. It was a greatly satisfying project. I have been using it almost every day since, and am very happy with it.
Thanks for the message. Do you remember how much it cost you to build? What wood did you use and how long did it take.

Paul Kinneberg
11-30-2006, 6:28 PM
Great thread!! I just got my $6 worth.

Dave Lehnert
05-18-2008, 3:08 PM
After all this time did any one build the bench yet? I would like to, just not sure I have the room.

John Townsend
11-23-2009, 10:01 PM
http://www.shopnotes.com/files/issues/084/classic-cabinet-base-workbench.pdf

Here is the PDF - for FREE!!!!!
That's only the Cutting Diagram. Doesn't do much good without the plans. Cutting diagrams and other such ancillary documents are always free to download. Notice the key word ancillary - they won't give you ANY plans for free.

Dan Forman
11-23-2009, 10:17 PM
Two things to think about with workbench/cabinets. Invariably is seems, if you have something clamped to the benchtop, the tool you will need for the next operation will be stored in the drawer that is blocked by the clamp.

The other thing to consider is whether there is adequate space between the bottom of the working surface and the top of the cabinet, so that you will be able to use holdowns in your dog holes. I can't tell if there is such a space on this bench or not, but I wouldn't have another bench without that space.

You might want to check out Christopher Schwartz's workbench book for some good ideas about work holding functions of a bench.

Dan

Dave Lehnert
11-23-2009, 11:26 PM
Two things to think about with workbench/cabinets. Invariably is seems, if you have something clamped to the benchtop, the tool you will need for the next operation will be stored in the drawer that is blocked by the clamp.

The other thing to consider is whether there is adequate space between the bottom of the working surface and the top of the cabinet, so that you will be able to use holdowns in your dog holes. I can't tell if there is such a space on this bench or not, but I wouldn't have another bench without that space.

You might want to check out Christopher Schwartz's workbench book for some good ideas about work holding functions of a bench.

Dan

Surprised to see this after I posted it 3 years ago.
After reading Christopher Schwartz book I decided this bench was not the one I wanted. His book is a must read.