PDA

View Full Version : Friction Polish

Jonathon Spafford
11-28-2006, 10:15 PM
Ok... this has probably been asked several times before... but what is everybodies favorite friction polish. I am looking for one that is semi-gloss and can stand a lot of handling!

Ken Fitzgerald
11-28-2006, 10:33 PM
Jonathon.......I use Myland's friction polish. It is shellac based. It works well but I"m not sure how much handling it wil take..

Nancy Laird
11-28-2006, 10:43 PM
Hut's, from Craft Supplies and other places. It seems to hold up well. Combo of shellac and carnuba wax.

Jim Young
11-28-2006, 11:00 PM
Speed an eez

Bought at at one of the wood shows one year. Have yet to find it locally.

Leigh Costello
11-29-2006, 12:11 AM
I've used both the Myland's and the Hut wax. I prefer the Hut product because it is one step and offers a very nice finish. I carry an assortment of turned pens - the ones that are just too pretty to sell - in my purse and briefcase. Not much worse treatment for a pen, and the shine is only slightly duller than when I finished the pen. Most folks can't believe the pen has been handled roughly and still looks very nice.

Hope this helps.

Robert E Lee
11-29-2006, 1:18 AM
I use WoodWrite’s Turner’s Magic, it is a Lacquer Based friction drying polish. I think the lacquer hold up a little better than the shellac based polish, but this is just my opinion.
Bob.

John Hart
11-29-2006, 6:10 AM
A little Shellac....a little BLO....a little DNA...and a little Woodturners Polish. Mix together and apply on the lathe...but for a deeper finish, sit down with the piece in your lap and apply in small circular patches until your arms fall off. :D :)

John M. Cioffi
11-29-2006, 6:53 AM
My favorite is the Shellawax,on top of the Hut wax sticks.Burn them in, as they are friction products that seem to like the heat to melt in. Don't rush the process too much.Then top it off with a bit of Rennesance wax.make sure each application is dry 1st.Works well, lasts a very long time.Shines.
Hope this helps.:)
John