PDA

View Full Version : Baron Pen Blanks

Daniel Heine
11-28-2006, 9:00 PM
Hello,

I just ordered 12 Baron kits from Arizona Silhouette. I plan to turn these for Christmas gifts to my managers at work, and some of my family. I would like to use some real nice wood for these, and I'm having trouble finding 7/8" X 6" pen blanks. I'm thinking a few od them should be acrylic acetetate, and the others some nice, figured wood.

I'm hoping that the members here can point me in the right direction. I'm located in the Chicago area, and need to get started on these pretty soon. As always, I know I will get a ton of help from all of you, and I really sppreciate it. I don't know what I would do without the help of all of you "old pros" (old has nothing to do with age, just experience level).

Thanks,
Daniel Heine

Pete Simmons
11-28-2006, 9:05 PM
Having made lotza Barons I know you do NOT need 7/8 x 6 blanks.

Not sure how small you can go but 3/4 sq works easily and 5 1/2 long is plenty. I think even 5 inches long will work.

Curt Fuller
11-28-2006, 9:13 PM
Having made lotza Barons I know you do NOT need 7/8 x 6 blanks.

Not sure how small you can go but 3/4 sq works easily and 5 1/2 long is plenty. I think even 5 inches long will work.

I agree. I just did a batch of 6 barons with 3/4" blanks and they worked fine.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-28-2006, 9:14 PM
Daniel...check for pen blanks at Crafts Supplies USA and Berea Hardwoods.

I order a lot from Craft Supplies and have alway been treated well!

John Hart
11-28-2006, 10:14 PM
If you're in a real big hurry...there's always Woodcraft or Rockler. They have a modest selection of some nice stable burl pen blanks on the shelf.

Bob Hallowell
11-29-2006, 4:34 AM
some of my best sellers are chrome barons with bloodwood or blackwood. very classy. And 5" x 3/4 is plenty.

Bob

Mark Hulette
11-29-2006, 7:30 AM
Hello,

I just ordered 12 Baron kits from Arizona Silhouette. I plan to turn these for Christmas gifts to my managers at work, and some of my family. I would like to use some real nice wood for these, and I'm having trouble finding 7/8" X 6" pen blanks. I'm thinking a few od them should be acrylic acetetate, and the others some nice, figured wood.

I'm hoping that the members here can point me in the right direction. I'm located in the Chicago area, and need to get started on these pretty soon. As always, I know I will get a ton of help from all of you, and I really sppreciate it. I don't know what I would do without the help of all of you "old pros" (old has nothing to do with age, just experience level).

Thanks,
Daniel Heine

If you're doing business with Az Silhouette you should have Mr. B include some of his wonderful stabilized blanks while he's filling the order- I've ordered several times from him and LOVE the burls he has available. Good luck.