PDA

View Full Version : Oak...e...Doke

Christopher K. Hartley
11-28-2006, 8:50 PM
10" X 3 1/2" Danish oil. At the very last minute the thin edge broke a sliver off and I am working to repair it better than you see here. I turned this one wet and DNAed it and dried for three weeks. Only had one small crack that was already there when turned. I put CA on it before soaking.Comments on a good fix welcome.:)

Steve Schlumpf
11-28-2006, 10:15 PM
Chris, great looking bowl. Love the first photo showing all the rays. Looks wafer thin!

John Hart
11-29-2006, 6:02 AM
That's a shame about the edge, but it's so minor, I bet it sands out and adds some character.....but the bowl already has good character. Nice job Chris! :)

Ken Fitzgerald
11-29-2006, 10:58 AM
Chris........You sure do wonders with that oak! The few times I've tried oak.....tough stuff ....wouldn't take much detail........Nice bowl! Nicely done!

Tom Sherman
11-29-2006, 5:51 PM
Chris you are trully the Master of Oak(MoO):D . Nice work as usual.

Gary DeWitt
11-29-2006, 10:00 PM
Good looking bowl. I especially like the ogee shape, such a classic. I turned a 4" cocobolo one of the same shape for a client last week, she collects antiques and just loved it.
I couldn't see where the sliver broke off, but I'm not surprised with oak. Onery stuff you seem to have tamed really well.

Corey Hallagan
11-29-2006, 10:40 PM
Another oak beauty Chris. Sure like what you do with the oak!

corey

Christopher K. Hartley
12-01-2006, 7:16 AM
I couldn't see where the sliver broke off, but I'm not surprised with oak. Onery stuff you seem to have tamed really well.Gary the sliver can be seen in the first pic on the lip at the bottom in the blond color wood. Actually this time it wasn't the fault of the Oak. I turned the lip too thin and must have created a small catch. I was wiping the bowl down with a soft cloth when it caught in that catch and tore off the sliver. Totally my fault. :o

Thanks for the comments everyone!:) I promise to try to deserve the title you have placed on me by giving you more Oak!!!:eek:

Pat Doble
12-01-2006, 11:04 PM
I may need to go get some of the oak chunks in my FIL's woods. We left about 7 huge chunks of trunk/crotch last winter :eek: (pre-Abyss:D) when we were cutting firewood. Couldn't even dent it with the maul. I looked at them a few weeks ago while hunting, and the ends were pretty split/cracked up but there's gotta be some good stuff in the middle.

Great job on the bowl!

Bernie Weishapl
12-01-2006, 11:05 PM
Chris that is another beauty. I like the form and finish. Nice job.

Christopher K. Hartley
12-02-2006, 8:05 AM
I may need to go get some of the oak chunks in my FIL's woods. We left about 7 huge chunks of trunk/crotch last winter :eek: (pre-Abyss:D) when we were cutting firewood. Couldn't even dent it with the maul. I looked at them a few weeks ago while hunting, and the ends were pretty split/cracked up but there's gotta be some good stuff in the middle.

Great job on the bowl!Go for it Pat! Sounds like you could have some great stuff there.:)

Ernie Nyvall
12-03-2006, 9:40 AM
That's a good looking bowl Chris. I didn't see the sliver until you pointed it out. I bet it finishes out nice.