PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some help...

Dan McGuire
11-28-2006, 8:47 PM
I would like to get my father a navy ball cap with the name of his ship for Christmas. I have looked on the internet and saw a couple of places that will custom embroider the name, class and sillouhet, but I am unsure of the quality or reliability of these companies. I also contacted a couple of places recommended by the Naval Archives web site. I was hoping that some of the former sailors here may have experience and could recommend an outfit that I could go with.

Dan

Ken Fitzgerald
11-28-2006, 8:54 PM
Dan....what ship was your father on?

Often you can go to one of the museums for those type of ships and buy caps via telephone or online.

A few years ago when we were visiting our son in Pensacola, we went to the Naval Aviation Museum there. We bought caps in the store within the museum. I just went to their website and they have a telephone number where they said they'd take orders.

Dan McGuire
11-28-2006, 9:20 PM
He served on the Valley Forge LPH-8 I think from 63 to 67. Somewhere I have a copy of his cruise book. I also have a framed photo of the ship at sea. I know the ship was decommissioned in 1970. There is some good information out on the 'net about the history of the ship

Ken Fitzgerald
11-28-2006, 9:28 PM
Dan ...I did some quick checking....interesting history on the Valley Forge! Originally CVA-45.....later reclassified as LPH-8............I'll bet you can find something with a little authenticity. Let me do some checking...if the job allows. I'll get back to this thread tomorrow evening or I'll PM you.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-28-2006, 10:31 PM
Dan.....I could find a lot of hats that were of the Valley Forge as CV-45 but none with LPH-8. Doggone shame too! I read a little history of some of the marines attached to it who died in 'Nam...............

I'm afraid I wasn't much help.

My youngest son was an officer aboard the USS Carl Vinsion. I have a couple of ships comany caps from it. They were manufactured by a company.....thecorps.com

Bill Lewis
11-29-2006, 6:24 AM
Try this

http://www.shipshatch.com/

They do official navy ball caps

I forgot to mention I work for the Navy (CIV, R&D Engineer), we ordered some caps from this place many years ago, when we couldn't get one for our base. Which was known at the time as the David Taylor Research Center, now known as the Naval Surface Warfare Center, Carderock Division, David Taylor Model Basin. The quality was good, I believe this place got it's start by supplying hats to the Naval Commands that are local.

John Hart
11-29-2006, 7:48 AM
Here's another one

http://www.bowwake.com

Dan McGuire
11-29-2006, 9:24 AM
John,

I have contacted bowwake and I amwaiting to hear back.

Bill,

I will look at shipshatch and she what they offer.

hopefully one these outfits can meet the time frame in time for Christmas

Thanks for the help

Dan

Dan McGuire
11-29-2006, 9:43 AM
Ken,

You are correct there is quite a bunch of information about the ship's history on the net, both as a CV-45 and LPH-8. I do appreciate you looking.

In the cruise book there is an extensive layout on Operation Dagger Thrust, the Valley Forge was on station to land a battalion of Marines into Da Nang. I remember seeing photos on Marines on patrol and in defensive postions. I believe that was in '65.

I will also check out www.thecorps.com With a name like that they couldn't be bad:) (coming from a former Marine)

Dan

Ken Fitzgerald
11-29-2006, 10:42 AM
(coming from a former Marine)

Dan

Uh?...........Dan?................I elk hunted for years with two retired Marine Majors. I owe my life to one who got me out of a wilderness area when I was hypothermic. Of couse, I wouldn't have gotten hypothermia if it wasn't for him.......He also volunteered to come to my house everyday and read to me when I broke my back 6 years ago. I've served as his junior officer in several hunting/conservation organizations. He's a true friend...........

BOTH OF THEM SAY LOUDLY, PROUDLY, ......THERE ARE NO EX-MARINES OR FORMER MARINES.......JUST MARINES!:D

One who I spent a lot of time in elk camp with.......Well.....I won't go into the discussions we've had about Navy vs the Marine Corps....:eek: :rolleyes: :D....(From an eight year Navy veteran)...........

Dan McGuire
11-29-2006, 12:16 PM
Ken,

there are just as many arguments between how Marines title themselves once they stop wearing the uniform as there are between swab-jockies and grunts.

The brotherhood among those that have served in the Marine Corps is incredible and can only be experience by those that have born the title. I also beleive that among former service men there is always a level of respect no matter in what branch they served that can not be experienced by those that never served, which is the majority of the population.

By the way, I ordered the cap through a company called Bowwake (www.bowwake.com) The man that runs the company called me back we spoke for about 10 minutes on the detail of the cap, how it would be made, when it would ship and so forth. I felt confident that it would be a quality job so I gave him the business. I will let everyone know how it comes out when it arrives latter in the month.

Dan

Ken Fitzgerald
11-29-2006, 12:34 PM
Dan......both of the retired Marine Majors I hunted with are Vietnam vets. One was there twice and got a purple heart each trip. He's the one that saved my bacon. I was his VP when he was P of the Idaho Wildlife Federation. I was his Treasurer for 6 years while he was Chairman of the local chapter of the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation. I have nothing but respect for Marines. .....the biggest compliment I ever received was from him...........He said......"Fitz...you'd have made one xxxxx of a Marine!" Yes.....we can harrass each other all day with inter-service harrassment....but at the end of the day......we really do respect each other.

I'm glad you found a hat for you Dad!

BTW............Thanks to you and your Dad for serving!