PDA

View Full Version : My first turning!! Salt Grinder made with Koa

Rick de Roque
11-28-2006, 8:22 PM
With the great help of Dennis Peacock we made this Salt Grinder out of Koa. The wood is from some I brought back from Maui last summer with my wife. Finished with BLO and shellac. Had a great time at Dennis's shop. I want to thank him for giving so much of his day to work with me. I had never touched a lathe before so he had alot of explaining to do. It is 6" high and 2 1/4" at its thickest part and 1 5/8" at its thinnest part.

Thanks,
Rick

Ron Sardo
11-28-2006, 8:38 PM
Lookin' Good Rick

Ken Fitzgerald
11-28-2006, 8:42 PM
As the Official SMC Secretary of Bonkers.........I sadly disappointed that the first thing you turned wasn't a BONKER!

On the other hand........I'm extremely jealous of the beauty of your first turning! Gorgeous salt grinder! Well done.......

I'm also extemely jealous that you got to spend some time with Dennis! He's a fine fellow and I'd like to shake hands with him someday!

Mark Pruitt
11-28-2006, 9:11 PM
Nicely done! Congratulations on a great start.

Andy Hoyt
11-28-2006, 9:20 PM
That sure looks like a fabulous example of the new bonker design that came out of the MOA R&D Section a month or two back. You guys did get the memo, right?

The whole purpose of the rotational axis along the grain line is to ensure that the arc it makes through the air towards the bonkee is completely and totally affected by the gravitational forces of the Abyss. Additionally, the internal chamber (when properly filled) serves much like a dead blow hammer effectively increasinging its bonkertude by a factor of nine.

I can thusly proclaim - Nice bonker, Rick!

Jeez, Ken - get with the program, bub. :D

Rick de Roque
11-28-2006, 9:22 PM
That sure looks like a fabulous example of the new bonker design that came out of the MOA R&D Section a month or two back. You guys did get the memo, right?

The whole purpose of the rotational axis along the grain line is to ensure that the arc it makes through the air towards the bonkee is completely and totally affected by the gravitational forces of the Abyss. Additionally, the internal chamber (when properly filled) serves much like a dead blow hammer effectively increasinging its bonkertude by a factor of nine.

I can thusly proclaim - Nice bonker, Rick!

Jeez, Ken - get with the program, bub. :D

Thanks...I think :D

Rick

John Hart
11-28-2006, 10:12 PM
With Dennis as a teacher....how could you lose? Regardless...that's a very nice piece. First one? Sheesh....Great job!:)

Mark Cothren
11-28-2006, 10:56 PM
Excellent work, Rick!!!

Jim Becker
11-28-2006, 11:48 PM
Ah, very nice, Rick!! You have a good teacher, too!

Jim Ketron
11-29-2006, 12:09 AM
Nice Job!
Better watch that Cothren guy in your town!

Tom Sherman
11-29-2006, 5:41 PM
Nice grinder Rick, that's how to bite the apple, just jump in and get er done.

Ed Scolforo
11-29-2006, 5:55 PM
Rick, I like it!
Ed