PDA

View Full Version : Curly Maple Bowls

Steve Schlumpf
11-28-2006, 7:53 PM
Been busy this week finishing off this set of 9 bowls. Got the wood from my SIL as payment for putting on a new roof for her this summer. When I turned the first bowl I knew what I wanted to do. Wood was left over from BIL – who passed away 2 years ago. He had made some really nice kitchen benches out of this curly maple and they were heavily used by his family. Thought it would make for a nice way to pay tribute to BIL if I would make bowls from that left-over wood so his wife and each kid could have a keepsake. Oh, there are 8 kids! It’s a surprise for them – hope they will enjoy the thought behind the gift. Just wanted to let you know that I am putting the new lathe to good use. ;)

Travis Stinson
11-28-2006, 8:02 PM
That's some beautiful wood Steve and you made it look even better. I'm sure they'll appreciate and cherish the wonderful gift.:cool:

Gary Herrmann
11-28-2006, 8:03 PM
Good thought, good wood and good work.

Skip Spaulding
11-28-2006, 10:20 PM
I can't believe they won't cherish them, Beautiful! Skip

Jim Ketron
11-29-2006, 12:12 AM
Beautiful set!
Sure is some nice curly wood, I'm sure each one will cherish them forever.

Mark Cothren
11-29-2006, 1:40 AM
Not only are those great looking bowls, but your intentions for them really put a smile on my face. Congrats and THANKS!!!!!!!!!!

Brad Kimbrell
11-29-2006, 2:47 AM
Beautiful work and even more beautiful sentiments! Your relatives are a lucky bunch.

John Hart
11-29-2006, 6:06 AM
Wonderful thought. ;) They'll be treasured forever. Nice job on the bowls too! That curl is great.:)

Tom Sherman
11-29-2006, 5:44 PM
Awsome Steve, sure is nice wood and the motive for the project is equally awsome.

Ed Scolforo
11-29-2006, 5:53 PM
Steve, beautiful wood, great job on the bowls, and wonderful intentions. I'm sure they'll be honored.
Ed

Frank Kobilsek
11-29-2006, 7:11 PM
Steve
Wonderful story and very nice bowls. I would encourage you to inscribe the bottoms in a way that the kids know the wood is the same as thier Dad's bench. My bowls to sell or otherwise not made for a specific person get 'KOBILSEK' 'Type of wood' 2006. Lately I have taken to adding notes to the bottom of this years Chirstmas and Thank you bowls.

A couple of weeks ago I made a plate to celebrate the first anniversary of a coffee shop a freind owns and I frequent. I made it from maple I bought at the estate sale of her neighbor who is like a third set of Grandparents to her kids. I inscribed it:

Kobilsek
Roland's Maple
Congrats on year one at Java Jan's

She was happy to get the gift but burst into tears when she flipped it over and learned that it was from Roland's wood pile. So my turning may not have impressed her but my wood selection really delivered.

Sorry boys no picture of the plate or Java Jan. I suspect if I don't post some picts again I am going to get pushed into the rapids of the Creek!

Frank

Steve Schlumpf
11-29-2006, 8:10 PM
Thanks Frank! Great idea but the bowls are already finished and buffed. Don't know if I could get the ink to stick on existing finish. I am fairly sure that in this instance everyone will know the history of the wood - just not sure how I could additionally inscribe at this point.

Travis Stinson
11-29-2006, 8:29 PM
The Dremel engraver works great!

http://66.77.255.87/Images/DREMELTOOLS/290_D/WEB_LG/290_lg.jpg

Mark Pruitt
11-29-2006, 8:39 PM
Beautiful wood, beautiful bowls, beautiful story!