PDA

View Full Version : Table saw motor resolution

Martin Shupe
11-03-2003, 2:34 PM
In our last episode, I was going to order a new Baldor motor for my Jet 10XL, which prematurely went down the proverbial tube.

We ordered the Baldor, and I left my motor at the motor shop, so they could transfer the pulley wheels and trim the "axle" to the proper length. The motor came in, but it did not match the frame size. We thought it would, but it was off measurement in one direction. It was determined that this would not fit my saw and clear the trunnions, so the choice was to get a rewind or buy a new motor from Jet. I was loathe to give Jet any more of my money, so I opted for the rewind.

He used the same windings that Baldor uses, and he demonstrated how good the insulation was by the following experiment:

He took two pieces of winding wire, and trimmed the insulation off the last inch of the ends. Then he twisted the wires together and put them on an anvil and hammered them until they looked like a flat chain. He then proceeded to prove that both wires were still individually conducting electricity, yet neither was shorting out.

He then took me back in the shop, showed me a guy rewinding another motor, showed me the insulation "paper" (not really a paper, as you could not tear it), showed me where they baked the motors, and the laquer dip bath.

So...

$225 for the rewind to 5hp
18.42 for sealed bearings (the Jet ones were not sealed, and he recommended sealed ones)
20.08 for tax

263.50 out the door. Jet quoted me around $400 for a 3 hp, and around $600 for a 5 hp, and that was their "special price".

Having my table saw back in operation: PRICELESS

If you are in the DFW area, and need motor work done, here is the place I used....

A1 Electric Motor Service Co.
817-536-6145

Ask for Rob...

It would be nice if Jet would use a standard US frame size in their table saws, but I suppose that would be asking too much.

Carl Eyman
11-03-2003, 3:10 PM
Over the years I was responsible for making decisions re maintenance of factory equipment I can never remember regretting a rewind vs new motor. Generally, the only time I opted for new was when rewind would take too long and having equipment down was expensive. Carl

Steve Jenkins
11-03-2003, 6:25 PM
Martin, I'm glad you finally got your motor problem resolved.Too bad it wasn't free but at least now you know what you have and where to take another if you have more motor problems. I've had several motors rewound and have never had a problem with them. Steve