PDA

View Full Version : Spiral bowl

Lee DeRaud
11-28-2006, 5:08 PM
Sort of a "proof-of-concept" thingy: it took awhile to get the process worked out in my head...next one should be easier (and have a more interesting shape).
Maple/walnut, 6"x3".

Ron Journeau
11-28-2006, 5:22 PM
Now that's real nice,Lee. I like the top view a lot, and I think you can really go places with that. How long were the strips?

Lee DeRaud
11-28-2006, 7:14 PM
How long were the strips?Strips?!? I don't think this is what you think it is.:p

Main body is 20 rings of two half-circle segments each, with a solid cap at both ends to make it easier to chuck up on the lathe. Here's what it looked just before the lathe got turned on:

Steve Schlumpf
11-28-2006, 7:36 PM
Man! Now that is cool!!

Bruce Shiverdecker
11-28-2006, 8:32 PM
Interesting process and a VERY nice bowl!

Bruce

John Miliunas
11-28-2006, 8:47 PM
Lee, you keep coming up with these funky ways to turn stuff! That's just way too cool! Can I assume you did the circle cutting on your Light Amplification by the Stimulated Emission of Radiation device? :D Sheeeesh, if not, I think it would take me a month of Sundays just to cut all the circles out in their proper proportions! :rolleyes: Very neat, indeed. :) :cool:

Pete Jordan
11-28-2006, 8:54 PM
Holy Toot!

That is impressive!

Lee DeRaud
11-28-2006, 8:54 PM
Lee, you keep coming up with these funky ways to turn stuff! That's just way too cool! Can I assume you did the circle cutting on your Light Amplification by the Stimulated Emission of Radiation device? :D Sheeeesh, if not, I think it would take me a month of Sundays just to cut all the circles out in their proper proportions! :rolleyes: Very neat, indeed. :) :cool:Yup, the photonic scrollsaw strikes again.:D

Mark Pruitt
11-28-2006, 9:27 PM
Very interesting piece. I keep wondering if it is possible to join the walnut/maple rings at a bevel rather than 90 degrees and use that to enhance the spiral effect.

John Miliunas
11-28-2006, 9:34 PM
Very interesting piece. I keep wondering if it is possible to join the walnut/maple rings at a bevel rather than 90 degrees and use that to enhance the spiral effect.

Hey Mark, re-read his first post! Bet he's got that laser thingy burning away on something like that as we speak! :D :cool:

John Hart
11-28-2006, 10:06 PM
Jeez oh man! That is cool Lee! A segmented vortex. Nice work sir!:)

Skip Spaulding
11-28-2006, 10:12 PM
Great Bowl Lee! Must be something to do with vortex there somewhere! Skip:D

Pat Doble
11-28-2006, 11:43 PM
Great looking bowl. The only thing keeping it from being a textbook representation of the vortex is that it's got a bottom. :D

Nice work.

Jim Becker
11-28-2006, 11:46 PM
Very nice, Lee. I'd say that works!

BTW, if you get the opportunity, study some of Bill Smith's work. (He's a neighbor of mine and has stuff at DelMano) His specialty is very thin open segment work and he often does designs like this in his pieces. I've learned a lot about patterns from viewing his extraordinary efforts.

George M. Perzel
12-01-2006, 2:00 PM
Hi Lee;
Stunning work! Haven't used my lathe for much lately as I've been wrapped up with the laser-now you have me itching to crank it up again. I understand this was glued up using some of the thin wood I have for sale- very nice work and you are to be commended for your innovative craftsmanship.
Best regards;
George
LaserArts

Bernie Weishapl
12-01-2006, 11:03 PM
Awesome Lee. That is one stunning piece.

Christopher Stahl
12-03-2006, 7:45 PM
That is very cool and quite impressive.

Lee DeRaud
12-03-2006, 7:58 PM
Great looking bowl. The only thing keeping it from being a textbook representation of the vortex is that it's got a bottom. :DYeah, this one does...the second one wasn't so lucky: broke about two rings up from the pointy end.:eek:

Curt Fuller
12-03-2006, 8:25 PM
Wow, I don't know how I missed this when it was first posted. That is very cool. I at first thought it was a comlplicated segmenting job but it's even more amazing the way you've done it.

Christopher K. Hartley
12-03-2006, 10:11 PM
Wow! you just blow me away each time you do something new!!:eek: