PDA

View Full Version : Source for Screw Bumpers (rubber feet)??

Matt Guyrd
11-28-2006, 2:59 PM
I am putting finishing touches on some of my cutting boards and would like to add rubber feet. I have found they could be called a few different names, including "screw bumpers".

I would like the feet to be screwed into the bottom of the board with small wood screws, say #6 x 1/2". The screw head should recess into the rubber foot. I am hoping to find feet with as small as a 1/4" in height, although 5/16" or 3/8" would work in a pinch, and maybe 1/2" to 5/8" in diameter.

I have search the web but with few good hits. Do any creekers know of a good source where I can order these little buggers?

Thanks!
Matt

Ken Fitzgerald
11-28-2006, 3:07 PM
I find them at my local Ace hardware store.

glenn bradley
11-28-2006, 3:38 PM
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=32881&cat=1,250,43298,43299

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=403

http://www.bruceplastics.com/pages/feet-bumpers.html

Howard Acheson
11-28-2006, 3:52 PM
Many hardware stores carry them as do some of the on-line woodworking supply sites.

Be sure to use stainless steel screws. Plain steel screws will rust when they get wet when you clean the board.

Matt Guyrd
11-28-2006, 3:58 PM
Ken and Glenn...thank you.

I forgot another (minor) detail...I was hoping for the color black. The borgs do not carry any type of screw bumper, at least not in stock.

Ace Hardware didn't have the size I am looking for. I missed the Rockler bumpers...although grey isn't what I picture in my mind. I have the Bruce Plastics site bookmarked. Their site claims the polylastomer bumpers are superior to the rubber bumpers. This may be the route I choose, as I am running out of options. I cannot determine the color though...I'll have to place a call for color and cost.

I really like the Lee Valley prices (and the fact they discount on bulk orders), but I am still not sold on the brown, although it is a more "natural" color when thinking of wood products.

Yes, Howie...stainless. Thanks! Some of the bumpers have washers in them that will need to be rust resistant too.

I'll have to ponder a few things...mostly color, I suppose. Leaning towards Lee Valley.

Thanks guys!
Matt

Greg Caputo
11-28-2006, 5:50 PM
I've had good luck with the Rockler bumpers. Since they are rubber, rather than harder plastic, they offer nice slip resistance so the cutting board stays in the same place while someone uses it. The bumpers from Ace Hardware turned out to be hard plastic. Good things if you want to slide something around, but not too good for cutting boards. I don't have any experience with Lee Valley or Bruce Plastics.

Greg

chris fox
11-28-2006, 6:00 PM
if you cant find what your looking for try www.mcmastercarr.com (http://www.mcmastercarr.com)
tons of options.

Byron Trantham
11-28-2006, 6:03 PM
Google "black bumper" and see what you get.:rolleyes:

Matt Guyrd
11-28-2006, 6:09 PM
I've had good luck with the Rockler bumpers. Since they are rubber, rather than harder plastic, they offer nice slip resistance so the cutting board stays in the same place while someone uses it. The bumpers from Ace Hardware turned out to be hard plastic. Good things if you want to slide something around, but not too good for cutting boards. I don't have any experience with Lee Valley or Bruce Plastics.

Greg...the non-skid issue is a good point, one I was aware of in the beginning, but started to lose sight of when reading about the great properties of Polylastomers on Bruce Plastics' website. I cannot find where it says non-skid anywhere. I did read that Bruce Plastics will make the feet any color free of charge.

Maybe I will order a few different kinds to compare.

Matt

Doug Shepard
11-28-2006, 6:35 PM
Would these work?
http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=118-220

Matt Guyrd
11-28-2006, 6:35 PM
No luck with McMaster Carr or Grainger either...they were one of the first two websites I visited.

This is the other sight I found which most fits the bill.
http://www.midatlanticrubber.com/recessed_bumpers.htm

I'll make a few calls in the a.m.

Matt

Matt Guyrd
11-28-2006, 7:31 PM
Hi Doug...thanks. Although it could feasible work, it's not what I am going after...I am sold on the wood screw for attaching the foot the board.

And worse yet, the two most likely sources to have what I want are manufacturers and only sell in big lots...like 5000 pieces.:eek:

Looks like brown feet from Lee Valley or grey from Rockler. I'll still poke around the web in hopes to come across the right fit.

Matt

Doug Shepard
11-28-2006, 8:33 PM
You might want to try digikey.com and do a search on 'bumpers". They have quite a few that are black and say 'screw type' bt unfortunately dont have pics online (at least that I noticed). They sell min qtys of 10 pcs on most of them. They're primarily an electronics parts dealer but those kind of things get used on the bottoms of elec gadget chassis too.

Matt Guyrd
11-28-2006, 10:23 PM
Doug...I have seen similar feet on other electronic parts sites. Digikey.com provided something that has allowed me to hit the mother load.

The correct Google search terminology should be "recessed bumpers". The result is tens of sites with what I am looking for...just need to do a little browsing now!

Thanks, man!

Mg

Joe Jensen
11-29-2006, 12:09 AM
Ken and Glenn...thank you.

I forgot another (minor) detail...I was hoping for the color black. The borgs do not carry any type of screw bumper, at least not in stock.

Ace Hardware didn't have the size I am looking for. I missed the Rockler bumpers...although grey isn't what I picture in my mind. I have the Bruce Plastics site bookmarked. Their site claims the polylastomer bumpers are superior to the rubber bumpers. This may be the route I choose, as I am running out of options. I cannot determine the color though...I'll have to place a call for color and cost.

I really like the Lee Valley prices (and the fact they discount on bulk orders), but I am still not sold on the brown, although it is a more "natural" color when thinking of wood products.

Yes, Howie...stainless. Thanks! Some of the bumpers have washers in them that will need to be rust resistant too.

I'll have to ponder a few things...mostly color, I suppose. Leaning towards Lee Valley.

Thanks guys!
Matt

I've used black ones before, and they will leave black marks on the surface they sit on. Based on my experience with black I'd try almost any other color...joe

Ken Massingale
11-29-2006, 7:02 AM
Just my personal experience, but folks like to use both sides of a board, putting feet on one side removes that option.
Ken

Matt Guyrd
11-29-2006, 7:45 AM
Hi Joe...thanks for your input...this is definitely something to consider. The Polylastomers are "suppose" to be non-marring. Just another good reason to consider this material. I still do not know if it is non-skid though.

I can see where the black rubber feet could leave marks.

Ken...I have considered not using feet. If I only knew how the recipient would store the board, I could make a better decision to use the feet, or not. If it is to be kept out on a counter, I think the feet will be beneficial, particularly for drying. It will provide a nice shadow line too. If the board is going to be stored in a cabinet (most likely?) then feet might be a hinderance.

Maybe once the boards are gifted I can give the option to add the feet. Seems like a bit more of a hassle though.

Matt

Dave Hale
02-11-2007, 9:38 PM
I've been to both of the borgs, 2 Ace hardwares (one made me wish I had a carry permit!) and I haven't found anything remotely resembling recessed or rubber bumpers. Can someone post a link for an online store that has feet that work for cutting boards? I've been searching via Google for a week now and there are way too many options for me to decide. I've finished two of the Wood Magazine style and one's a gift for this Wednesday and the other this weekend.
Please, please, please.......

Thanks in advance.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-11-2007, 10:50 PM
Matt.......One other suggestion if I may.....My wife bought a Corian cutting board at a Borg some 110 miles away. It slid all over our counter top when you were tried to use it. I went to a local Ace hardware store and purchased some clear (probably silicone) stickon bumpers. These things are soft....they don't slide ....they come with an adhesive already on them. I've not had to replace them in years and that board gets washed regularly.

Dave Sweeney
02-12-2007, 12:55 PM
Dave, I recently made a couple of cutting boards and I got the feet at HD. The brand was Shepherd Hardware Product LLC and the model is #9644. On my receipt there's a number, 039003096444, that I take to be HD's in house number. I really wanted 3/4" dia. feet but the smallest they had were these 1" dia. one. They did however work out all right. Oh yeah, they're about 1/4" high. HTH

Dave Hale
02-12-2007, 2:19 PM
Dave,

Thank you very much. :)