PDA

View Full Version : Oneway Talon/Nova midi?

Tim Sproul
11-28-2006, 2:04 PM
I'm not head-over-heels into turning :eek: but I do turn things on occasion. I'm wanting to turn some small items for gifts....things like shop made fridge magnets. I'm looking at scroll chucks and am wondering what is the difference between the above chucks? I am not apprehensive about spending money on good tooling - my Festools speak to that - but I'd like to know what it is I'm getting if I spend an extra $200 on the Talon versus the Nova midi....

Many thanks,
Tim

David Fried
11-28-2006, 2:46 PM
Can't offer too much as I have only used my Talon. I have never had a problem with it. It is a quality chuck that I enjoy using.

Jeff Myers
11-28-2006, 3:22 PM
Don't have a comparison, just have a Talon and love it!!! Only chuck i've used.

Corey Hallagan
11-28-2006, 3:38 PM
Tim I have a Nova midi chuck and love it, however if I was buying today I would spend about 20.00 -30.00 more and get the Nova G3 at 120-140. That is a nice chuck and you have one handed operatin with the T chuck key vs tommy bars. I think it will do more than anything you want and you can add any set of jaws from the Teknatool line up to it.

Corey

Dario Octaviano
11-28-2006, 4:19 PM
I have the Talon and love it...but if I will buy now, I will get the SN2 for $164.99 at http://www.woodchipshome.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=WC&Product_Code=23055&Category_Code=CHU

Tom Hintz
11-28-2006, 4:29 PM
I also use the Talon and love it. the wood screw design is the best there is and with some of the stuff I have hung in the Talon, I can't imagine anything having any more holding power.

I have a reivew of the Talon at the link below that has photos of the jaws, wood screw and more if you haven't seen it up close.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/onwytlonrvu.html

Jim Becker
11-28-2006, 6:26 PM
I consider the Talon to be a fine tool...and the jaw designs work. In fact, when I upgraded to a larger lathe, I stayed with my Talon as it's still suitable for most of the work I do. If I find I need something bigger...I'll buy a big chuck for just that purpose. (Probably a Stronghold)

John Timberlake
11-28-2006, 6:30 PM
I have used both the Talon and Nova. I like the Talon better even though I have the Nova. Just like the way the jaws grip. And the Nova tights backwards to me - made in New Zealand so it goes the other way like the toilets. If you go with the Nova, upgrade.

Andy Hoyt
11-28-2006, 6:37 PM
I had a Talon, but sold it with my lathe a while back. Replaced it with Stronghold. Next extra chuck I get will be another Talon. My only beef with the Nova stuff is what John said - righty loosey lefty tighty.

Curt Fuller
11-28-2006, 7:06 PM
I think as far as how well each works they're probably just a matter of personal preference. But the Nova Midi is direct threaded to fit the spindle on your lathe while the Talon uses a threaded insert. That makes it so that you could use the Talon on a different spindle size by just changing the insert. I personally think that gives the Talon an edge.

Tim Sproul
11-28-2006, 7:11 PM
Thanks to all. I think I'll keep the Talon.

Gary Herrmann
11-28-2006, 8:06 PM
For future reference, Rockler sells the Talon and the price was pretty sweet with the 25% off deal this past weekend...

RichMagnone
11-28-2006, 9:33 PM
Don't discount the Nova G3 which I >think< is an improvement over the midi. It has a threaded insert and is on sale for $119 at the wood chips website (I have no financial interest). Currently, the insert is included at that price.

http://www.woodchipshome.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=WC&Product_Code=82202&Category_Code=CHU

Kurt Forbes
11-29-2006, 6:59 AM
compare apples and oranges often?

Talon compares best with either the SN2 or the G3. Either of those will give you a better basis for comparison.

I just looked at all of them and ended up with the SN2. Just used for the first time tonight and loved it. It held rock solid and I had no trouble rechucking the peice like I did with my old PSI chuck.

Jeff Myers
11-29-2006, 8:31 AM
With my only chuck experience being the Talon i have,,,,do these other
chucks mentioned also use straight sided jaws like the Talon? or do they
have the dovetail jaws?requiring a dovetailed recess or tenon to attach to? I chose the Talon on a friend's recommendation and with his stating the straight side jaw advantage so not sure which others have straight sides as well or if it's really much of a problem cutting dovetail recesses/tenons that fit the chuck's jaws properly.

Paul Engle
11-29-2006, 10:01 AM
Being a machinists i have a G3 and like it very much. I have swung 15 in blank with it ( which is over its published limit) to see if there would be any feed back and it stayed onboard up to 2800 rpm then started to shudder.....I like the T handle and the left thing is all in one's mind ......the price was right got the 45mm spigot jaw and the 2 " jaw with great wood screw for 149 $ . I got a second body for 99$ , w/o the adapter , now do not have to change jaws to do spindle work .

Michael Robertson
11-29-2006, 12:44 PM
I have both a Stronghold and a Supernova2 and wouldn't part with either. I also have the Cole Jaws for my SN2. I looked at the Midi and decided I didn't like the tightening method on it.

Mike