PDA

View Full Version : Reviews on Dust Collection Separators

Tom Henry
11-28-2006, 1:02 PM
Does anyone use one of these (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=1515) and does it work?:confused:

Cameron Reddy
11-28-2006, 1:51 PM
Sure it works. The main function is to keep stuff from slamming into the impeller with a loud WHACK! Really heavy stuff drops out into the trash.

I use one on my Delta 50-760 (I think that's the model number) which is dedicated to my chop saw out in my garage. I opened up all the holes to 5 inches to match the intake on the Delta.

Chris Jenkins
11-28-2006, 2:06 PM
I used to have one these and loved the way it worked just fine. The problem is I outgrew it. Once I bumped up to a 6" ducting system this type of system will not work (unless you do some special modifications)

You ask the way it works, well basically it takes a single stage DC and turns it into a 2 stage. You would implement one of these on top of a large garbage can. This way it creates a low tech cyclone, causing the large chips to drop out into the garbage can before it ever gets to your DC impleller. This way the only thing going into your DC is the finer dust. This makes changing the DC easier and less frequent (though you will have to dump the garbage can).

Does this help or would you like more details?

Bob Dodge
11-28-2006, 3:34 PM
Tom,

Seems to me I saw a comparison somewhere a few years ago. Of the trash-can cyclone lids, apparently the Lee Valley version was the best.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=30282&cat=1,42401&ap=1

Bob

glenn bradley
11-28-2006, 3:46 PM
http://www.ptreeusa.com/dustacces.htm#281 The number 401 has an internal elbow that adds a little better controlled spin. The upside is I only empty my collection bag once for every 6 or so dumps of my trash can. Downside is it puts a helluva hit on the CFM and airspeed. JET makes one that is pretty darn cool as well. Rockler's allow a lot of blow-by, I returned the large one. The shop-vac sized Rockler top works great (?). Just my experience.

P.s. the JET unit is like the Lee Valley unit Bob mentions. Haven't tried it but the design looks better than mine or Rockler's.

Bob Dodge
11-28-2006, 4:50 PM
Glen,

You can reduce the CFM penalty somewhat when using those "lid" systems. Basically, you have two ways of dealing with that.

Either you use a large-drum, with a shop-built lid and appropriately sized ports, or, you can use two of those "lid" separators, side by side. Personally, I prefer making my own, but, with two "lid separators", you'll reduce the volume of air flowing through each individual unit. Here's an example.

If you used only one of those lids but needed to run a 5" pipe to a planer for example, chances are that you'll suck the smallish trash-can clean. Let's assume youwant to pull 600 CFM at the planer.

Now, by using twin pre-seps, you can run twin 4" hoses to a custom hood, and only 300 CFM will flow through each of the two bins. 300 CFM in a 4" hose, would give you 3500 FPM velocity, so no problems there, At the outlet, resistance would be quite low since there's only 300 CFM flowing through each 4" port.

You'll increase the overall air-volume "at the machine", and double your waste-capacity.

Noah Katz
11-28-2006, 6:43 PM
Seems like it'd be a lot simpler to make your own with a barrel and 6" fittings.

Extend the inlet to, say, 2/3 of the way to the bottom, and the outlet directly to the top.

Andy Haney
11-28-2006, 11:25 PM
Tom,

My home-made separator in the lid of a 35 gal. barrel works like a champ with a 4" ducting system and my Delta 1.5 hp DC in a garage shop. I've read many times (and accept) that 6" ducting conducts too much air for separators such as this to work, and have "settled" for the reduced CFM (4" vs. 6" ducting) at this point.

Andy