PDA

View Full Version : Insulation for QuansHut Steel Bldg

James Sneed
11-28-2006, 12:32 PM
I'm a Newbie with a shop 32 X 40! I was wondering if anyone can suggest the best way to insulate the inside walls. I was thinking of Drywall or OSB on walls. It would be about a 8" deep groove that I could stuff with insulation etc. that extends to about 7 to 8" in height before the steel bldg starts to curve and angle towards it's top height of 15' 3"... Any help appreciated!

richard poitras
11-28-2006, 12:57 PM
spary foam would be my choice......

James Sneed
11-28-2006, 1:06 PM
Richard, would you use drywall or OSB on walls.. And what type of foam would you recommend due to large quantity. Are you talking about the foam in cans at Lowes or HD?

Bart Leetch
11-28-2006, 1:19 PM
It'll cost more but be a much better job if you have a company that does spray foam come in & spray it for you.
My friend has a 40'x50' hut still setting on the delivery pallet & this is just one reason I would never have one. He keeps claiming its cheaper in the long run, I just say is it really?. Up here you have to construct it to meet code for grain storage which much much more than it will ever be used for. Huts are special in their needs to get finished I hope you get yours to where you can really enjoy it. Most of them are real tall his will be 14' tall inside. I don't think for the most part that the last 4' will ever be used very much but he'll still have to heat it.

My personal opinion is they are really not cheaper in the long run.

James Sneed
11-28-2006, 2:00 PM
Thanks Bart, mines sat on pallet for about 4 months, but went up in the Spring. I like it and where I have it situated is close to some HUGE trees that keeps it somewhat cool in the summer (Memphis Tn Humid) and surprizingly about a 15 degree difference warmer in winter inside to outside temp.. I will check into the spray foam around here and see what the cost runs. I'll get set up for pics and send them.

Bart Leetch
11-28-2006, 7:40 PM
James I've been to Memphis & Millington.

Could you post pictures of your building in progress?

Charles McKinley
11-28-2006, 8:33 PM
Hi James,

Check with your vendor, there are fixtures you can put in to attach insulation to. Spray foam is more to put in but in stick construction can greatly cut down on infiltration.