PDA

View Full Version : Bad CA - any ideas?

Wayne Bitting
11-28-2006, 11:28 AM
Has anyone ever had a problem with a bad batch of CA, let alone two batches? While I’m not great at a CA finish on pens, I’ve done them enough to be okay with the process I’ve figured out. The past couple of weeks I just can’t get the finish to work. I bought a new batch of thick and thin CA for the production pens, but the stuff just won’t cure. My shop isn’t heated, but it’s not that cold out there (jeans and a long sleeve tee-shirt was all I needed last night), could temperature still be a factor? A thin coat of thin CA is taking 15 mins to just get tacky and I’ve just about given up on the thick CA on ever curing. I’ve tried what seems to be an endless list of maybe this or that is the reason but I’ve run out. Any ideas out there? (I was going to switch to a plexi finish but I added too much plexi and ran out of acetone:mad:)

Thanks - wayne

Mike Vickery
11-28-2006, 11:49 AM
I live in AZ so I am not sure about the cold weather, but that would be my guess. But try puting some BLO on a papertowel and rubbing it over the CA. CA cures faster in the absence of oxygen so the the BLO prevents it from getting oxygen and helps it set.

Warning - Some people report that putting BLO over your CA finish will decrease the clarity of the finish. I actually agree but believe that it is so slight it matters very little.

Paul Engle
11-28-2006, 1:13 PM
According to the manufactures , CA glue uses moisture for a catalyst, if the humidity is down then it would take longer, if really dry in the shop it follows the set time would increase. my shop very dry ( north Idaho) and I sometimes use a pan of h2o in the area to help it , I tried the spray set they sell but caused white spots and had to redo. hope this helps.

Frank Kobilsek
11-28-2006, 1:34 PM
Wayne
As CA ages it gets slower and can get really slow. I bought a new bottle from a local hardwood supplier that doesn't sell that much CA and it would not cure in a day. Don't expect it to behave like you want it to for more than about 6 months of shelf life in your shop.

Buy from busier stores or a popular internet site to ensure fresh product.

Frank

Wayne Bitting
12-11-2006, 6:58 AM
I finally got back into the shop on saturday after the replacment pen kit came in. I took Paul's advise and added some humidity to the air, and it worked perfectly! I did a lot of CA finishing on pens over the summer when it was plenty humid out but it never occured to me that humidity was the missing link. Thanks Paul!