PDA

View Full Version : Net Jet or new rumour?

Burt Alcantara
11-28-2006, 11:24 AM
Since my local store does not want to have anything to do with Rikon, meaning I'd get less then expected service, I decided to buy the Jet mini. They didn't have one but lots of the VS. Didn't want to spend that much. After a little gabbing they mentioned that a new Jet would be out around March 2007 that would include 12" swing, indexing, VS and a few other things that I'm not sure about.

The price point "will be $200."

Any body else heard about this as this will greatly effect my purchasing?

Thanks,
Burt

Mark Pruitt
11-28-2006, 11:43 AM
Haven't heard anything reliable. A few months ago there was a rumor that Jet was discontinuing their Mini and producing a new one. There may be some truth to it, but the idea of a price point being about $200 is not realistic, given the price of the current machine.

Charles E. Martin V
11-28-2006, 12:03 PM
I agree with those features, a $200 price point would be impossible. That would mean the dealers could get it for around $100, and that just isn't going to happen.

Andy Hoyt
11-28-2006, 12:30 PM
You're on the right track, Mark. I don't think $200 will get you much more than a reasonably good pen turning lathe regardless of whatever the specs may be.

Early on, my father taught me to never buy a car in its first model year; and I believe that concept holds water here too. The Rikon is a tad over a year old at this point and quirks are beginning to be reported, although very early on new owners were quite pleased. Wonder if that's just because more units are in shops, or if manufacturing specs and tolerances are being tweaked for a bean counter driven efficiency, or a combination.

My guess is that this new Jet is a posturing response to the Rikon; and I don't understand the logic behind removing a tried and true workhorse like the old Jet Mini (non VS) from their offering. Perhaps it's in deference to production facility limitations, which would be a bad decision.

Burt - I suggest you scour the want ads for an older used lathe. Any lathe. I can't think of a machine that won't allow you to turn pens and tool handles. Get some time in with it to learn technique and further explore what aspect of turning floats your boat.

Better yet, consider attending a meeting of the Southwest Idaho Woodturner's Association. They meet at the Woodcraft you're likely having dicscussions with. These clubs are an invaluable resource, especially for the newer tool challenged individual. Click here (http://www.woodturner.org/community/chapters/members.pl?submit=Chapter+List) to get the specs on where, when, and who.

Enjoy your your new Voyage of Discovery!

Burt Alcantara
11-28-2006, 3:40 PM
Andy,
I began looking through various classifieds and craigslist. I thought about the local turners group and will look into that as well. I'm hoping there would be someone who's anticipating a new lathe for Christmas and would happily sell the current...or something like that.

The $200 price point came from one of the guys at WC who has always helped me of trouble which I often get into. He seemed pretty confident about the price although I wondered about his timing. I was ready to plunk down cash for the Jet (non VS) but they didn't have any in stock.

Once he told me about the new Jet I decided to look around for used or something to get me started.

Burt

Dario Octaviano
11-28-2006, 4:00 PM
I emailed WHM about this a month or so ago and their response is that they will continue manufacturing the Jet mini. They did mention that they will continue looking at ways to improve it.

The way I read it is that Jet mini will cintinue to exist but it will be re-designed. Of course I may be mistaken.

Frank Kobilsek
11-28-2006, 4:04 PM
Guys
I think a used lathe is tough to find. Its like that da_ _ Nordic Track in the basement. Everybody who has one knows they should use it so it never gets sold. moved or otherwise dealt with. Others think they are setting on a gold mine, a guy I met a local craft show keeps trying to sell me an old Rockwell 'school' lathe, he wants $1600. I wished him luck and told him to loose my number.

I found a used Jet mini at an auction for my Dad but the guy who sold it was dead. I still paid $200 but I got alot of good stuff with it.

I wish you well Burt, you'll find a deal but it is going to take a little time.

Frank

Mark Pruitt
11-28-2006, 4:11 PM
Guys
Its like that da_ _ Nordic Track in the basement. Everybody who has one knows they should use it so it never gets sold. moved or otherwise dealt with.
Hey! You done stopped preachin' and gone to meddlin'!!! NO FAIR!!!
:eek: :o :rolleyes: :p

Bill Boehme
11-28-2006, 4:18 PM
Anybody who has ever read Dilbert knows how engineers (that would be me) feel about Marketing types who live in their own little isolated world (including unicorns). It would be wonderful if they got their feedback from the user community (ahem ... that would be us -- and other online forums -- such a wonderful resource), but the only feedback that matters in too many instances is the selling price of the competitor's product. I would guess that the majority of new lathe purchasers don't know about online forums or woodturning clubs and just see two machines that look similar except for price sitting side by side.

Bill

Wilbur Pan
11-28-2006, 6:29 PM
Guys
I think a used lathe is tough to find. Its like that da_ _ Nordic Track in the basement. Everybody who has one knows they should use it so it never gets sold. moved or otherwise dealt with.
I've been in the process of setting up a workshop from scratch. The few pieces of power equipment I've gotten have all been used. I found a 1950's era Delta drill press after one day of looking. It took me less than a week to find a 1940's era 16" Walker Turner bandsaw.

On the other hand, it took me more than a month to find a used lathe. I finally found one, a c.1940 Walker Turner 10"/13" gap bed lathe with a ton of accessories. But it did take a LOT of looking.

On the other hand, I managed to sell my NordicTrack this summer in one day after sticking it out on my front lawn. :rolleyes:

Frank Kobilsek
11-28-2006, 7:06 PM
Bill, I do suffer from split personallity disorder in my day job. I am the Engineering Manager AND the Marketing manager. I hate it when I catch myself making an arguement in my defense in one meeting and that same arguement will prove it was my fault in the next meeting.

Mark, I will not promise to use the stupid Nordic Track but I am in the market for a good used exercise bike.

Wilbur, you are a truely gifted machinery trader.

Burt, again keep looking, I didn't mean to discourage your search. It will be a very happy day when you turn a bowl and enjoy your popcorn that evening from the bowl you made.

Frank

Charles McKinley
11-28-2006, 7:27 PM
Hi Burt,

Do you have a Rockler near you? They have the new M-Power lathe on sale for $159 normaly $179.

John Miliunas
11-28-2006, 8:57 PM
I agree with those features, a $200 price point would be impossible. That would mean the dealers could get it for around $100, and that just isn't going to happen.

Charles, I don't have any "inside info" on the purported "new" lathe but, in most all cases, the markup on equipment and higher end hand tools (chisels, good planes, saws, etc...) is nowhere near 100% markup! Not even close! :)

However, I will agree that getting all those features in a well-built machine for a $200.00 price point would be pushing it, unless it was some super-special OEM "intro" incentive to the dealers. And even that wouldn't make a whole lot of sense, because if it's really a good machine, then shortly thereafter, the price would have to go up dramatically. Not real good marketing, IMHO. :o :cool:

Charles E. Martin V
11-29-2006, 8:39 AM
True, I shouldn't have said 100%, but some other resellers try to approach that.:)

terry miller
11-29-2006, 9:28 AM
I dont know how good of a deal this is, but if it is like most of the stuff that Charles offers it is probably a decent price.

http://www.woodchipshome.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=WC&Product_Code=DELTA&Category_Code=USED

Charles E. Martin V
11-29-2006, 10:59 AM
Shipping to Idaho would suck though.

Burt Alcantara
11-29-2006, 11:01 AM
There are a number of minis under $200, with VS capability under $300. Perhaps there is some insider info about other new machines and Jet is executing a pre-emptive strike(?).

I'd hate to spend $300+ now then find the same model come out with more whizz-bang for $100 less. I know one can say this with cameras, computers, portable music players, LCD TVs, and so on. However, if I bought what was available today, I wouldn't be able to get to it for a month or two at the earliest.

Probably, I'll find a used bargain the week before the new machine is released.