PDA

View Full Version : Best Price For Corel X3

Ed Maloney
11-28-2006, 8:03 AM
Good morning folks,

Anyone have suggestions on where to get Corel X3 (full version) at the best price?

Thanks!

Ed

Pete Simmons
11-28-2006, 8:15 AM
Check out this thread I started last week

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=46031

Someone posted a link maybe on page 2 of that thread where Corel has a 30% off sale until the end of the month.

I just picked up the upgrade version for around $129

Lorin Clinger
11-28-2006, 9:58 AM
If you have a student in your household you can get the full education edition for under $90 delivered to your door. Just saw it for $87.98 at Newegg.com.

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16832106012 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16832106012)

The only problem is that you have to be a teacher or have a student living with you to get this version.

Ray McAlister
11-28-2006, 12:40 PM
i bought from amazon.com this weekend (teacher/student version) for 79.99 with free shipping
Ray

Ed Maloney
11-28-2006, 1:14 PM
I looked around and from what I can tell the teacher/student version doesn't include all the goodies and functionality as the full version. Is this your understanding as well?

Ed

Michael Kowalczyk
11-28-2006, 1:37 PM
I caution any of you that would try to cheat the system by buying a teacher/student version of any software that you will use for your business. It specifically states in the EULA that it can not be used for commercial use. Many academic versions have a watermark on them when you print or save.
IMHO getting an academic version to run your business is no better than getting a bootleg/pirated version. Please read the EULA or info from the academic software website about how it is to be used. The purpose of these versions is to help students, who do not have a lot of money, learn a software so that when they are employed or go into business they might use that type of software. All of you who suggested getting an academic version to be used for business purposes Please rethink your position.

respectfully posted,

Ray McAlister
11-28-2006, 1:53 PM
My wife teaches art lessons and my 8 year old know more about adobe than i do, so i assume i quailfy.:D

Steve McKee
11-28-2006, 1:59 PM
Best price I was able to find recently was at softwareking
Steve

Bob Keyes
11-28-2006, 4:48 PM
I bought mine at Amazon. Good price, free shipping and no worries about the version.

Michael Kowalczyk
11-29-2006, 12:52 AM
My wife teaches art lessons and my 8 year old know more about adobe than i do, so i assume i quailfy.:D Ray I believe even if your wife is a teacher and you have a student in the house, if any of you use it for commercial purposes it would violate the EULA (End User License Agreement). To be safe, I would email or better yet call them and ask them if it is OK to buy an academic version because you have a wife that is a teacher and or have a student in the house or in college and (be honest now) you want to use it for your business. I would be interested if they said it was OK to use it for commercial purposes but most likely they will tell you the same thing. I could be wrong but most likely _ _ _.

Gary Hair
11-29-2006, 1:49 AM
My wife teaches art lessons and my 8 year old know more about adobe than i do, so i assume i quailfy.:D

All that to save $30 - pony up and buy the software that you will be using to make money... or don't and then complain about the software manufacturers that don't update their programs. How do you think they pay the people who work for them?

/rant

Tim Goldstein
11-29-2006, 11:10 AM
I have to admit that it amazes me that someone can pay $8,000 at a minimum to get a laser (average is probably more like $15 - $20K) and then can not afford to pay $200 for the software they need to make it work. Corel is cheap in the overall scheme of things. If you get into CNC machining you will start to learn what real industrial software costs. My CAD package was just under $2K and $300 per year for maintenance and support. My CAM package was $15,000 and $2,500 a year to keep it updated and supported. My FEA program is $3,500 a year for updates and support and we will not even talk about the original cost.

Pony up the bucks and accept that if you want to be in the high tech end things it costs money. $200 for a full legal commercial license of Corel is a bargain.

Dennis Solomon
11-29-2006, 11:43 AM
Softwareking had a great price and they delivered pretty quick. We just purchased it 2 weeks ago. No books though- Any thoughts on that?

Ed Maloney
11-29-2006, 11:48 AM
There are about 4 different packaging options. If you read the descriptions some show that some do not come with the manuals, just the CDs. I think the "Full" version is the one that comes with all the extra manuals, books, and CDs. Don't know if the "Upgrade" or the "OEM" versions have the extra goodies.

Dave Jones
11-29-2006, 12:12 PM
Did you buy the OEM version? That comes with no box, no books, and possibly no support.

OEM versions are supposed to only be sold bundled with a piece of hardware (ie: a scanner, a computer, etc...) and the support comes from the company that sells you the bundle. Such as if you bought a scanner from Epson and it came with CorelDraw, you would contact Epson for tech support on CorelDraw.

There are companies that buy the leftover OEM copies from those companies selling the bundles and then resell them to end users, even though the discs often say "Not For Resale" or "For Sale Only Bundled with ....".

Some companies will provide support for OEM copies and others won't. I don't know about Corel, but Adobe tells people with OEM copies to go to the company they got it from for support.

Usually (but not always) the manuals come in PDF form on the discs.

Mike Null
11-29-2006, 1:40 PM
Those who say Corel is a bargain are absolutely right. I bought Version 8 almost 9 years ago for about $600. Today's full version is about $300 and is much much better. Upgrades can be bought with books and all cd's for about $129.