PDA

View Full Version : Bridgewood v PSI - Entry Level Cyclones

Jeffrey Schronce
11-27-2006, 11:28 PM
I want to step up to a cyclone. I like in York and Wilke is only a few minutes away. I make it out to PSI area weekly as well.

Bridgewood BW-CDC3 Specs :

MOTOR - SINGLE PHASE:3 HP 1 PH 220 V
FAN DIAMETER:12"
CFM:1700 @ 6" STATIC PRESSURE
HOSE INLETS: ONE 8" or THREE 4" DIA.
FILTER BAG SIZE - (1MICRON):19" DIA. x 75" LONG/34.1 SQ. FT.
PLASTIC BAG SIZE:33 GALLON
SOUND RATING@1 METER (3.3 FT.):85dB
OVERALL DIMENSION:65" x 36" x 108" H
PACKING SIZE:29" x 25" x 45"

PSI Specs :

12" impeller • 2.0 HP
Motor:2.0HP, 110/220V, 8 Amp
Impeller:12" Steel, 6 fin
Airflow: 1350 CFM
Free Air650
CFM thru Cyclone
Max Static Pressure: (4" water column)10.0"
Filtration1 micron Filter Bag
18" dia x 72" high, 32 sq. ft.
Filter Cleanout Drum:Fiber Drum with gateDust
Debris Cleanout Drum:26 Gallon Fiber DrumHeight (with 21" drum):88"
Sound Rating:73db
Air Inlet Diameter:5" diameter
Dust Outlet Dia. (to filter):5" diameter
Footprint:18" dia body #TEMPEST

Seems the Bridgewood has more HP, better hose inlet options. It does not include a debris collection drum and the PSI does. PSI is wall mount and Bridgewood includes stand (though I would likely mount to wall . . . can BW be mounted to a wall?)

BW is on sale for $599
PSI is $499

Please provide opinions on which is a better machine or is it just a personal choice?
Thanks!
Jeff

Jim Becker
11-28-2006, 8:48 AM
I don't know these machines, but the Bridgewood seems to be a bigger machine and you should be able to easily source a fiber barrel in your area to use as a collection bin. If you can vent outside, even better...I'm not fond of "bag" filters...

John Kain
11-28-2006, 8:56 AM
For $100 difference I'd choose the people close to you for any future issues if needed.

2hp vs 3hp is a consideration. Like many others, I'd shy away from using CFM as a "true" airflow measurement. Too many variables in the "factory" number.

I do like the quieter PSI 73db

I don't think I've ever heard a substantiated negative thing about Wilke or Bridgewood machinery.

There are a couple threads about hanging DC that I've seen. Though I think (doh!) they are on other WW internet sites.

Jeffrey Schronce
11-28-2006, 12:47 PM
I don't know these machines, but the Bridgewood seems to be a bigger machine and you should be able to easily source a fiber barrel in your area to use as a collection bin. If you can vent outside, even better...I'm not fond of "bag" filters...

I assume you like the cannister better? My fear with the canister is cleaning it out. My DC is in the attic of my shop. I can't use compressed air up there to clean them out. I figure a shaker felt type bag could be removed and taken outside.
The PSI has a canister option for only $100 more.

Cameron Reddy
11-28-2006, 1:45 PM
A well-designed cyclone will not accumulate much dust in the canister filters. I should be a long time before you need to clean them. A high quality canister filter is quite a bit better at catching the smallest particles than a bag.

The important issues, I think, are cyclone design and filter quality.

JayStPeter
11-28-2006, 2:52 PM
A well-designed cyclone will not accumulate much dust in the canister filters. I should be a long time before you need to clean them.

I guess you've never let your catch barrel fill up too far. Either way, I prefer a cannister over bag any day. I can't really imagine a situation where a bag would be preferable.

I don't like the 5" port on the PSI and I've never trusted their CFM claims because they voilate physics. The 8" intake port on the Bridgewood seems to BIG for a 12" impeller as does the CFM number (possibly a misprint?).

Personally, I'd go for the 2HP grizzly at $750 (also near York?) or a Dust Gorilla. The bigger impellers, cannister filters, and included bins should make life better in the long term. The magazine tests have consistently put these two above the others. For a lower price, I'd stick with a portable with a cannister filter on top. Plumbing your shop is quite expensive, so the extra $150 on the DC itself is well spent. You could well wind up with worse performance than a portable w/10' of hose by plumbing an underpowered cyclone into your shop.

Jim Becker
11-28-2006, 4:11 PM
I assume you like the cannister better? My fear with the canister is cleaning it out. My DC is in the attic of my shop. I can't use compressed air up there to clean them out. I figure a shaker felt type bag could be removed and taken outside.

I clean my filter cartridge about once a year...whether it needs it or not. The only other reason I'd have to do that is if I let the bin get over filled and get a lot of blow-by as a result...it's happened, but rare. I've learned to check the bin status before planing/face jointing.

Oh, and I agree with Jay...I was answering your specific question and didn't add more commentary. The PSI unit generally tests poorly and the Bridgewood design is not really up to date. There are better cyclones to invest in.

Jim DeLaney
11-28-2006, 4:26 PM
...I do like the quieter PSI 73db...

John,
I'd be a bit leery about the PSI sound rating, mainly because they don't list a reference distance.

I have the PSI 2 hp canister DC. PSI says it's 65 db. My (calibrated) sound meter says it's 93 dB(A) @ 3 feet. I bought the PSI muffler for it, and noted no change whatsoever in the db level.

When I called PSI, their (supposed) engineer said that I wouldn't get any reduction with the muffler, and that (even though they don't differentiate in their ads) the canister DCs are a lot louder than the two-baggers.

They then refused to give a refund for the muffler because "I hadn't checked with their engineering staff for recommendations prior to purchasing it..." It took several calls and further 'negotiating' before they offered a refund. Even then, they charged a 20% restocking fee.

Jeffrey Schronce
11-28-2006, 6:23 PM
Thanks guys.

I believe I am going to vent outside as I do not have heat or cooling at the moment and it will likely be a year or two until I do.

Cameron Reddy
11-28-2006, 11:43 PM
If you want real power at a discount, consider ClearVue. 5hp, 15" impeller, excellent design, under $900. Some assembly is required, however.