PDA

View Full Version : Gift Card Warning

Boyd Gathwright
11-27-2006, 11:23 PM
Gift Card Warning

Well the crooks have found a way to rob you of your gift card balance. If you buy Gift Cards from a display rack that has various store cards you may become a victim of theft. Crooks are now jotting down the card numbers in the store and then wait a few days and call to see how much of a balance THEY have on the card. Once they find the card is "activated", and then they go online and start shopping. You may want to purchase your card from a customer service person, where they do not have the Gift Cards viewable to the public.

:(

Mike Armstrong
11-28-2006, 12:41 AM
Yep, this is a real scam. You can find additional detailed info that will help to protect you from being ripped off by this on the Snopes site: http://www.snopes.com/fraud/sales/giftcard.asp

Mike

Jim O'Dell
11-28-2006, 9:39 AM
That's good information, and very timely. Thanks! Jim.

Charles McKinley
11-28-2006, 10:22 AM
I think gift cards are a rip off anyway, especially if there is and "activation" charge.

I still like cash\check best if an actual present is not given.

Also have the person spend the whole thing ASAP because if the place goes bankrupt you are SOL! Just ask the people that were burnt when Woorworkers Wharehouse went out of business. There was almost no notice that they were about to tank. It even caught some of the managers off gaurd as I remember.

Jim Becker
11-28-2006, 11:15 AM
One other caution about gift cards...if you get one...use it. Many of them lose value over time as a "service charge".