PDA

View Full Version : I got some old planes free.. would like to know info on them.

Rick de Roque
11-27-2006, 11:07 PM
An old guy I know gave me a box of some old planes he got from a friends dad years ago and these have been in his attic since then. Said he thought I might get some use out of them. One is the Stanley #192, looks like a daddo plane or a shoulder plane. 3 bead planes (one is a tongue and groove, the other two are coves). 2 wooden hand planes, one with a convex sole and one with a concave sole. All the wooden planes (including the beading planes have a stamp of "Marshall Glasgow" on them. Would love some info on these if anyone has any. I assume there is more info on the Stanley #192 then the wooden planes. I plan on cleaning them up. Looks like the iron is used in both wooden planes, It fits both. I'm a newbe to old planes, but hey free is free.

Thanks,
Rick

Dave Lehnert
11-27-2006, 11:25 PM
A quick check in my Stanly book put the 192 Rabbet Plane at a manufactured date of 1886 to 1962. Average price $25 to $75. A type 1 plane (1886 to 1890) at a price of $50 to $125

Rick Whitehead
11-27-2006, 11:46 PM
A quick check in "British Planemakers from 1700" showed four Marshalls in Glasgow, from 1879 to after 1934.If you can post a close-up of the mark,it might help narrow it down.The mark is listed as "common" so the wooden planes' value would be primarily to users, rather than collectors.
Rick

Rick de Roque
11-27-2006, 11:52 PM
A quick check in "British Planemakers from 1700" showed four Marshalls in Glasgow, from 1879 to after 1934.If you can post a close-up of the mark,it might help narrow it down.The mark is listed as "common" so the wooden planes' value would be primarily to users, rather than collectors.
Rick
Here is a picture of the mark.

Thanks,
Rick

Rick Whitehead
11-28-2006, 9:45 AM
Thanks for the additional picture.
It looks like the mark of Alexander Marshall (1879-1885) but it might be later, depending on how long that marking stamp was used.Sometimes marking stamps were used by later companies, or successors, making precise dating difficult.
There are four listings for "Marshall", beginning with the above at 301 Argyle St.. The next Marshall is A. Marshall & Co(1886-1931) in two locations in Glasgow.The next is Marshalls (1903-1910), followed by W. Marshall(1911-1934).
There are two stamps illustrated, one reading"Marshall/Glasgow" identical to yours, and the other "Alexe Marshall/Glasgow". I therefore concluded that the "Marshall/Glasgow" is the earlier, and that your plane dates to that time period, with the above qualification.
Hope this helps.
Rick

Zahid Naqvi
11-28-2006, 9:48 AM
I plan on cleaning them up. Looks like the iron is used in both wooden planes, It fits both. I'm a newbe to old planes, but hey free is free.

Rick, good score. I am a believer in using tools, so I'd say clean'em up and make shavings. I am not sure how comfortable you are with hand planes but the next time we meet I'd be glad to tell you what I know, wouldn't take more than 10 mins ;)

Charles McKinley
11-28-2006, 10:32 AM
Graham Blackburn deals a lot with woodies in "Traditional Woodworking Handtools."

Rick de Roque
11-28-2006, 10:56 AM
Rick, good score. I am a believer in using tools, so I'd say clean'em up and make shavings. I am not sure how comfortable you are with hand planes but the next time we meet I'd be glad to tell you what I know, wouldn't take more than 10 mins ;)
Zahid,
Thanks. Your 10 minutes is 9 1/2 minutes more than I know so I'll take you up on it. BTW sometime next week I should have time to get the walnut for you.

Rick

Rick de Roque
11-28-2006, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the additional picture.
It looks like the mark of Alexander Marshall (1879-1885) but it might be later, depending on how long that marking stamp was used.Sometimes marking stamps were used by later companies, or successors, making precise dating difficult.
There are four listings for "Marshall", beginning with the above at 301 Argyle St.. The next Marshall is A. Marshall & Co(1886-1931) in two locations in Glasgow.The next is Marshalls (1903-1910), followed by W. Marshall(1911-1934).
There are two stamps illustrated, one reading"Marshall/Glasgow" identical to yours, and the other "Alexe Marshall/Glasgow". I therefore concluded that the "Marshall/Glasgow" is the earlier, and that your plane dates to that time period, with the above qualification.
Hope this helps.
Rick
Thanks so much for the info. Looks like the wood planes might be alot older than I thought. This is one of the reasons I like SMC, lots of nice people with helpful info.

Thanks,
Rick

Joe Meazle
11-28-2006, 11:53 AM
Rick,
there is nothing that I can add but congrats, nice score.
Joe