PDA

View Full Version : Reproduction Tambour Traveling Desk

Rob Millard
11-27-2006, 9:56 PM
These are a pair of traveling desks I made, from originals attributed to the shop of John and Thomas Seymour. The one on the left is mahogany with birdseye maple, and she oak veneer. The one on the right is mahogany, veneered with crotch mahogany veneer. As the drawer is opened the tambour opens to reveal a divided tray section. The leaf can then be folded open to form a small writing surface. They measure 15” wide, 6 ½” high, 9” deep. The finish is my standard lime and dyed oil, followed by shellac. For a more complete description, please see my home page at http://home.woh.rr.com/federalfurniture/ (http://home.woh.rr.com/federalfurniture/).

These desks have a connection to two fellow contributors to SMC. The crotch mahogany veneer came from Steve Wargo, and the rosewood came from Alan Turner; thanks guys.
Rob Millard

Jim Becker
11-27-2006, 10:06 PM
Those are really interesting pieces, Rob. As usual, your work is outstanding.

John Bush
11-27-2006, 10:38 PM
Hi Rob,
Those are great pieces. Thanks for sharing. How long did they take to make and where could I find more info on design? Thanks, again. John.

Calvin Hobbs
11-27-2006, 10:55 PM
Great projects and again I appreciate the writeup. If I ever make one of these, I know exactly where to go.

Thanks for posting them.

Cal

Howard Rosenberg
11-27-2006, 11:29 PM
You did an extraordinary job of your writing boxes.

I love these things (the British call them writing slopes).

While your website's tutorial is sensational - but if you've got ANY additional info, working notes, engineering details would be most welcome in this corner.

All the very best.
Howard

John Schreiber
11-28-2006, 1:40 AM
Classically beautiful. I love the Federal look.

Ernie Hobbs
11-28-2006, 1:56 AM
Rob,

These are really nice. I really like your attention to detail and your desire for true authenticity for period pieces. The tambour is interesting.

My first question is, if I decide to make one of these, will my laptop fit in the drawer and how will it travel through the airport?:D Could it be fitted with a shoulder strap or wheels and and a handle? (just kidding)

I can't remember the last time I sat down and wrote a paper letter. The things we take for granted...

By the way, thanks for helping me out with those stringing and banding questions last week. I really appreciate it.

Chris Barton
11-28-2006, 6:28 AM
Incredible work Rob! I am always impressed by the projects you select and your execution. Have you found customers to be interested in these desks? I have considered building some but, most people don't write much anymore so, it then becomes a decoration piece. What are your thoughts on this?

Bob Swenson
11-28-2006, 8:27 AM
FABULOUS
Bob

Rennie Heuer
11-28-2006, 8:32 AM
Beautiful work - many of us wish we could turn our work this nice.

Well done.

Jason Tuinstra
11-28-2006, 10:54 AM
True works of art. Fantastic in every way.

Dave Anderson NH
11-28-2006, 12:25 PM
There's not much I can add to what the others have already said Rob. Your work truly speaks for itself. While I don't build Federal because the Boss (Sue) doesn't like it, I admire it greatly. Seymour stuff is my absolute favorite and I'm fortunate enough to be only an hour and a quarter drive from the Peabody- Essex.

Dave Anderson NH
SAPFM #223

John Timberlake
11-28-2006, 6:19 PM
Great work. Pieces you don't see very often. Love the veneer and the demo you did on your web site. Keep 'em coming.